Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See here: Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT - Page 2

In Hong Kong, last night, Elon Musk said:

Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto. It is something I'm really looking forward to.

Thanks -- that's great news which I hope comes true sooner rather than later. This would quiet us down while Tesla focuses on other aspects of the UI and software rather than worry about app security and a Tesla app store (especially since, if properly implemented, Airplay/Android Auto are just a display with audio and touch inputs).

It appears the direction is different. To "project" the phone onto 17 inch screen.

This has been stated twice by Elon now that I know of, Hong Kong and also in France where he added that the display part is not difficult but the touch part is more tricky, iirc in France he also said release middle of this year. Allowing for usual software delays perhaps we can hope for the 17 inch screen to mirror our phones sometimes this year. A massive step over car play if they can do it imo.

Google are also working increasingly (you can bet Apple are doing exactly the same) on full Android platform for cars, not just Android auto, this was previewed in a Maserati at the Villa d'Este show.

Fast moving times.

About the only disappointment I have with Tesla is the complete lack of any new (or improved) "apps". I seem to remember Elon saying they are coming "soon" (several years ago).

This is where it seems a huge potential is being lost. Sure, Tesla could open up APIs to third party developers, but are they really going to want to put energy into developing for a third, niche market (after iOS and Android)? Seems doubtful.

About the only disappointment I have with Tesla is the complete lack of any new (or improved) "apps". I seem to remember Elon saying they are coming "soon" (several years ago).

This is where it seems a huge potential is being lost. Sure, Tesla could open up APIs to third party developers, but are they really going to want to put energy into developing for a third, niche market (after iOS and Android)? Seems doubtful.

I think there will be a major software release, perhaps coinciding with the model 3 reveal. Probably a flatter look and some new functions.

again, Elon stated in the Paris Q+A (sorry can't find the thread to link to) that they were looking at fully remoting the phone screen and touch functionality and exepcted to release something in the middle of this year, so allowing for a few delays I guess we can hope for somthing quite exciting later this year.
My expectation is that this will be software only so will be an update for existing owners and will form (pat of?) the much hoped for update to the Media interface.

If they are able to clone your current screen on the 17, with some adjustments for the aspect ratio it will be better than carplay or auto since you will be able to use any app that works on your phone. I hope that their implementation makes audio playback simple and without any loss in quality.

Ugh this would be amazing. In my mind, I'm imagining "projecting" the iphone screen to the car display, much like in the way that you would when you use Airplay to mirror your iphone's display on something like a TV. Except in this case, you would be able to interact with the phone via the tesla touchscreen. Right now, unless I'm mistaken, when you Airplay mirror, you can't interact with the phone from the external display at all - all controls are still done through the iPhone.

Is there any system at all that works in the way that I described above? I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and despite Elon's musings, I don't see it happening, at least any time soon...

Ugh this would be amazing. In my mind, I'm imagining "projecting" the iphone screen to the car display, much like in the way that you would when you use Airplay to mirror your iphone's display on something like a TV. Except in this case, you would be able to interact with the phone via the tesla touchscreen. Right now, unless I'm mistaken, when you Airplay mirror, you can't interact with the phone from the external display at all - all controls are still done through the iPhone.

Is there any system at all that works in the way that I described above? I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and despite Elon's musings, I don't see it happening, at least any time soon...

No and this won't be possible on iPhone. Apps can't access the overall screen buffer. AirPlay doesn't support control back to the phone.