Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CarPlay does not appear to be an app built on top of another OS. It appears to actually be the OS of the infotainment system. To implement in Model S would require Tesla moving away from Linux or IOS 7.1 SDK to support an app model for CarPlay API's which I highly doubt. But I'm happy to be wrong.

If Apple would allow it, it could be done with virtualization…

I don't see what's so hard about doing that right now. My last car, a 2009, had full iPod/iPhone integration, and it's infotainment system was powered by Windows Embedded Automotive.

I drove a rental car a few weeks ago, and it's Bluetooth integration worked pretty much the same as my Tesla, but as soon as I plugged in the USB cable I had full iPod controls there too.

What's the big deal?

I expect that Tesla's approach would instead to work on firming up a public API and then let Apple write the app.

CarPlay does not appear to be an app built on top of another OS. It appears to actually be the OS of the infotainment system. To implement in Model S would require Tesla moving away from Linux or IOS 7.1 SDK to support an app model for CarPlay API's which I highly doubt. But I'm happy to be wrong.
Get ready to be happy! CarPlay which was called iOS in the car is basically mirroring technology. See, for example, zyafa/iOSCar · GitHub where someone has enabled it and is able to run it using the iOS simulator on their computer.

IMO, the audio front end is easily the weakest part of the vehicle. My old 2006 Honda had integrated audio controls (iPhone only at first, but later Android) and even an Aux in that the Tesla lacks. Hell, I had some kind of bottom-of-the-barrel Kia rental that started up a surprisingly fantastic iPhone interface as soon as I plugged my phone in to charge. And it used the correct album art, instead of seemingly choosing some random JPG it finds in some company's database (yesterday the album art for a song that came on the radio was a very rectangular picture of some guy who wasn't the artist, with no text).

The lack of even rudimentary phone support, iPhone or otherwise, is a glaring omission in a car this expensive. I'm sure it'll show up eventually in some form, but I really hope it's soon.

Last edited:
This would be cool, but the only thing is that - I cannot trust the hands-free feature. It does a good job at the easy stuff i.e. "Hello how are you today?", but when you get into large complex messages and sometimes not so complex messages, the software messes up the wording and it is an even bigger pain to go back and correct it and try to hold an actual conversation.

I'd prefer talking on the phone. :)

Get ready to be happy! CarPlay which was called iOS in the car is basically mirroring technology. See, for example, zyafa/iOSCar · GitHub where someone has enabled it and is able to run it using the iOS simulator on their computer.

Yep, that's my understanding, that it is a form of mirroring. Not full mirroring, but a form that makes the UI screen act as an input/remote/simple visualizer for the iDevice.

In this pic from Volvo you clearly see CarPlay as an "app" taking about 40% of the screen.

carplay-140303.jpg

I hope Tesla does just just as Volvo did. For those that want it it would take up one half screen and mirror iTunes app and music interface at least. Care less about the texting and maps as I hope Tesla gets Google Maps/Waze integrated at some point.

I hope Tesla does just just as Volvo did. For those that want it it would take up one half screen and mirror iTunes app and music interface at least. Care less about the texting and maps as I hope Tesla gets Google Maps/Waze integrated at some point.
I do really hope this is why we have no iPhone integration whatsoever right now. They were waiting to tinker with this. Fingers crossed. I really miss having Spotify easily-accessible in my car.

I do really hope this is why we have no iPhone integration whatsoever right now. They were waiting to tinker with this. Fingers crossed. I really miss having Spotify easily-accessible in my car.

Yes Spotify is what I want most. I currently subscribe to both spotify and slacker. I'll drop my slacker in a flash once I can get spotify integrated one way or another into the MS. I've used both a lot, trying to give slacker a fair shake. Just doesn't have the same content and I hate all their non-MS interfaces...

Text integration may also be nice. I'd need to play with its implementation some before I judge it...

Last edited:
siri? no thanks!
Apple maps? NO THANKS dont want to get lost!Crap!
Spotify? Yes thanks!
Apple in my Tesla? no thanks!
Display my phone/slate on the tesla screen? YES thanks!!!

You want to display AND control your phone from the tesla screen, and I think that CarPlay does just that. I'm not sure it automatically means you get Apple/iOS in your Tesla.

so it is only compatible with iphone. and you need to plug it in, why? Doesn't apple have bluetooth or something?
seems odd

I'm probably not really qualified to comment on this, with no cell phone at all

You'll want to be plugged in if using maps, since GPS tends to drain your battery.

For short trips wifi or Bluetooth would be more convenient . They have already did wifi support is coming.

If Tesla does CarPlay integration, I seriously doubt they will stop providing native navigation, voice control, etc. CarPlay will just be another Tesla App. Nobody is going to force you to use an iPhone or give up your Google Maps.

yes, i'm hoping this is what they do as well. i have enquired twice with ownership and both times the response was that there were no plans currently for integrating iOS in the car (as it was then known) in the model S. i too suspect this was a part of the meeting tim cook and elon recently had. i hope there is some solution whereby we owners can utilize carplay while not hobbling any other current functionality of the system.