Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sent my feedback to them. What I want: center console with the nice flip down access to the phone dock/lightening connector. I get in the car, snap in my iPhone and CarPlay pops up on the console. Easy peasy. No reason they can't do this along with Android Auto support also. Everyone wants it. Make it happen!

Sent my feedback to them. What I want: center console with the nice flip down access to the phone dock/lightening connector. I get in the car, snap in my iPhone and CarPlay pops up on the console. Easy peasy. No reason they can't do this along with Android Auto support also. Everyone wants it. Make it happen!

I'm sure it's far from easy. But it would be worth quite a large effort, IMHO.

I'm sure it's far from easy. But it would be worth quite a large effort, IMHO.

I say 'easy' in that they are basically implementing Apple's and Google's 'VNC' framework (in simplistic view, this is what it is...). So compared to say writing the current console OS for the S, not so hard :tongue: It is just a matter of priority and resources and most likely not so much current technical limitations. So keep the feedback going to Tesla.

Apple announced today that CarPlay is being launched by all major car manufacturers this year. I've not heard that Tesla is one of them. Say what you want about not needing CarPlay, to have the option adds flexibility for a user, and the large Tesla touchscreen would make this the best implementation out there.

Many reports on this but here's one link:

Apple manufacturers, coming to 40 new car models this year

Apple announced today that CarPlay is being launched by all major car manufacturers this year. I've not heard that Tesla is one of them
Based on production volume, Tesla is not "major", it's a niche player.

Based on influence, Tesla punches well above its weight class.

I hope that when Tesla opens up the center console to outside "apps" that CarPlay will show up on our displays.

It appears Apple may be trying to poach Tesla engineers. If that's happening, that could complicate a decision to support CarPlay.

I have an Android phone and rented a Cadillac XTS over the weekend on a trip - and was surprised at how much better the new Cadilllac system is compared to the Model S. Once paired, when I selected my phone for audio, it immediately started playing my favorites list using the phone's music app. And when I left the car and returned, it would automatically resume playing the last song. In the Model S, I have to re-select my phone every time I return to the car.

The car also supported text messaging. When I received a text message - a pop-up appeared on the console - and the car read the message, and provided me a short list of canned responses on the console.

If Tesla isn't going to support the full integration with Apple and Android smartphones - can't we at least get some of these basic features added? Either through Tesla software, or by providing an API to allow 3rd parties the ability to do this???

It appears Apple may be trying to poach Tesla engineers. If that's happening, that could complicate a decision to support CarPlay.

I have an Android phone and rented a Cadillac XTS over the weekend on a trip - and was surprised at how much better the new Cadilllac system is compared to the Model S. Once paired, when I selected my phone for audio, it immediately started playing my favorites list using the phone's music app. And when I left the car and returned, it would automatically resume playing the last song. In the Model S, I have to re-select my phone every time I return to the car.

The car also supported text messaging. When I received a text message - a pop-up appeared on the console - and the car read the message, and provided me a short list of canned responses on the console.

If Tesla isn't going to support the full integration with Apple and Android smartphones - can't we at least get some of these basic features added? Either through Tesla software, or by providing an API to allow 3rd parties the ability to do this???
Agreed. I haven't seen CarPlay in action, and only one car (Ferrari FF) is currently shipping with it. Asking for immediate CarPlay integration is asking a lot. Basic smartphone integration, such as is seen in even entry level vehicles from practically every manufacturer, on the other hand? Far more difficult to explain away.

I think most of us assumed Android Auto and CarPlay were coming, hence the delays, but it would appear that's not the case.

Agreed. I haven't seen CarPlay in action, and only one car (Ferrari FF) is currently shipping with it. Asking for immediate CarPlay integration is asking a lot. Basic smartphone integration, such as is seen in even entry level vehicles from practically every manufacturer, on the other hand? Far more difficult to explain away.

I think most of us assumed Android Auto and CarPlay were coming, hence the delays, but it would appear that's not the case.

Here's a review of CarPlay via the pioneer head unit you can buy now: 72 hours with CarPlay: Test-driving the Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX | Macworld

OK, we've got V7.0 with Autopilot (Beta) but the Model S still seems incomplete. Numerous state laws are restricting drivers from touching hand held devices while cars are in operation and since the steering wheel controls of the Model S provide rudimentary control of content selection on iPhones, driving the Model S is an invitation to get a citation while trying to access iPhone podcast app content, etc. How hard can it be for Tesla and Apple to get CarPlay implemented over the next 12 months or so and make the Model S the car it wants to be? I understand both Tesla and Apple are control freak companies but they're both doing so to assure a superior customer experience and, hence, should see working together on CarPlay furthers that goal and eliminates the need for Model S drivers to touch their iPhones while driving.

Carplay is pretty much mainstream in the 2015/2016 manufacture's line up. Ferrari, BMW, VW, Chevy, Honda (the list is too extensive note all of them),...and of course aftermarket. This introduces a "next level" compatibility to smartphone technology that is light years ahead of what the current system being offered gives us. Given that its pervasive in the market, this is Tesla overlooking the obvious because they have to re-invent everything to their own codes...not saying that this is a game changer but this 'attitude' of proprietary thinking has brought MANY companies to their knees. In the world that we live today, it will quickly leave you playing catch up in a sea of competition.

I could be wrong but this seems like such a huge step forward in pleasing the customer being held back due to ego and proprietary behavioral thinking.

Everyone is allowing carplay and android auto. Even the new ford sync 3 will project carplay. I don't think Tesla has a choice. No one wants their car to be a yet another implementation of phone, texting, and contacts.
How to implement map is a tough one for Tesla.

Having wrestled with (and procrastinated) the daunting option and complexities of converting my entire iTunes library to ALAC, then FLAC, then recreating all my playlists on folders on a USB... I really hope Tesla considers this a priority - not that I want them to be distracted from more important things, but I've got to believe they can code something on Linux that would support enough interoperability without sacrificing reliability.

Everyone is allowing carplay and android auto. Even the new ford sync 3 will project carplay. I don't think Tesla has a choice. No one wants their car to be a yet another implementation of phone, texting, and contacts.
How to implement map is a tough one for Tesla.

They definitely have a choice, and I suspect it's already been made (against implementing CarPlay or Android Auto). I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but I suspect that if I am, it'll be in the M3 and not before.

And for the record, I'm definitely in favor of CarPlay support.

I hope I'm wrong but given Musk's comment about Apple I don't think Apple is working with them on this.

"
They have hired people we've fired," Musk said. "We always jokingly call Apple the 'Tesla Graveyard.' If you don't make it at Tesla, you go work at Apple. I'm not kidding."'

I hope I'm wrong but given Musk's comment about Apple I don't think Apple is working with them on this.

"
They have hired people we've fired," Musk said. "We always jokingly call Apple the 'Tesla Graveyard.' If you don't make it at Tesla, you go work at Apple. I'm not kidding."'

That sounds like more spin than reality; everyone poaches from everyone else in the Valley. (Except when they collude not to. But even then.)