Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Switch my existing Model Y order into a Model 3 if I change my mind?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have an order in for a MYLR but decided I would rather go with a M3 for my first Tesla. Does anyone know if Tesla will allow me to "change" my order or I figured the more likely option is I just lose my deposit on the MYLR?

Thanks!

My nephew recently changed his order from a MYLR to a MYP and they let him do it. They also gave him the price the MYP was back when he did his order in May. Hope this info helps.

That falls under the section of the MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement, which is the agreement everyone acknowledges when they place an order) that you can change configurations of the vehicle you ordered before your vin is assigned. It doesnt say anything about changing vehicle types totally, though.

Your nephew went from one model Y to another model Y, they didnt go from a model Y to a completely different model vehicle.

I dont know if tesla allows changing vehicle types, but I do know they allow changing configuration of your vehicle that you ordered, until you are assigned a vin anyway. They dont have to give you the same price, according to the mvpa either, but some report they do.

For the OP, you will have to contact them and ask. I suspect it may depend on who you get, because I dont think they have to do anything for you in this case.

Reactions: tm1v2
Update to this for anyone in the same boat. I called Tesla today and asked, they said they can provide a $250 credit from my MY delivery to the price of the M3. So I paid had to still pay the deposit again on the M3 but I will get that $250 back from my MY in the form of a credit.

Update to this for anyone in the same boat. I called Tesla today and asked, they said they can provide a $250 credit from my MY delivery to the price of the M3. So I paid had to still pay the deposit again on the M3 but I will get that $250 back from my MY in the form of a credit.

So, the way I see that is, the answer is "no, we can not move your deposit from one model to another, but in this case, for customer service, we will give you a credit on the new reservation to offset it so that you will be made whole".