Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Update Electric Motors This Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cytrine

2023 MYP - Black - Black - Tow
Jan 15, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Now that more competition is coming out, the model Y and model 3 performance are not the fastest in their class. Do you see Tesla adding some extra power and updating the electric motors this year? Feels a little overdue.

I can see a world where this recent price drop drives a lot of sales and then in a few months after those slow down, they update their power train and some other miscellaneous things to drive sales again.

I agree I don't see updates to the motors in the cards in the short term unless they are software updates.

Tesla is likely to and should focus on refreshing M 3&Y and also adding additional features to the built-in infotainment.

I would like to see them add an app store so that 3rd party development can start. Android auto and CarPlay are a huge missed opportunity for Tesla.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Now that more competition is coming out, the model Y and model 3 performance are not the fastest in their class. Do you see Tesla adding some extra power and updating the electric motors this year? Feels a little overdue.

I can see a world where this recent price drop drives a lot of sales and then in a few months after those slow down, they update their power train and some other miscellaneous things to drive sales again.
I am curious which cars come to mind that are quicker than a Model Y Performance? The only one I know if is the EV6 GT. And very few are quicker than the Model 3 Performance. (The cars quicker than the M3P cost tens of thousands of dollars more.) Very few small- to mid-size SUVs are quicker than the MYLR with Acceleration Boost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scubamikey
I am curious which cars come to mind that are quicker than a Model Y Performance? The only one I know if is the EV5 GT. And very few are quicker than the Model 3 Performance. (The cars quicker than the M3P cost tens of thousands of dollars more.) Very few small- to mid-size SUVs are quicker than the MYLR with Acceleration Boost.
If memory serves me correctly the EV6 GT is rated at 3.4 0-60. I watched some reviews and it was more like 3.7 or 3.8. MYP results I see as low as 3.44 0-60.

I have considered other EV and they just can't match Tesla. The biggest thing is charging network and the integration into the NAV. Makes road tripping in the Tesla a piece of cake.

While competition has auto steer and adaptive cruise, and even lane change I find that it's just not as good as NOAP in the real world.

To me at least there would have to be a bigger performance gap for me to consider a non Tesla. Even then, 3.5 second is extremely quick. Fastest production car the S Plaid does it in 2 second. So the gap is similar to the difference between LR and P. You can close the gap a bit with the AB on LR.

I feel that Teslas continuous improvement process with OTA updates and hardware refreshes is blowing the minds of legacy auto manufacturers. Those of us who currently own Tesla autos enjoy the OTA updates and those on the fence track and watch the hardware updates like the massive highland coming. It is amazing to be a part of our watch Tesla Nation.

What competition is coming out? Prototypes don't count, what actual cars are you referring to? I'm curious why people keep making this statement. Yea, lots of cool prototypes. Also, what's the qualifier for number of units produced for that automobile to be considered "competition"? Lucid made 7100 vehicles in 2022 and only delivered like 60% of them, is that considered competition? Asking for a friend ...

By the way ... Tesla is constantly revising their motors ... it's not a matter of power but they software limit them based on the drivetrain components and safety, in other words, those motors can shred your drivetrain if they weren't dialed back. For example, on the Plaid, the carbon rotor sleeves were needed to prevent the motor from ripping itself apart under load, wasn't all just hype.

While the Model 3 is insanely fun to drive due to its size, you need weight and traction (fat tires) to transfer that additional power to the ground, otherwise you're just tearing stuff up.

I feel that Teslas continuous improvement process with OTA updates and hardware refreshes is blowing the minds of legacy auto manufacturers. Those of us who currently own Tesla autos enjoy the OTA updates and those on the fence track and watch the hardware updates like the massive highland coming. It is amazing to be a part of our watch Tesla Nation.

Ford and GM are also doing OTA updates, and other legacy players are headed that way fast. It's no longer a Tesla exclusive.

What competition is coming out? Prototypes don't count, what actual cars are you referring to? I'm curious why people keep making this statement.

I always chuckle at the rationale people contrive to suggest that improvement isn't needed. A company that gets comfortable where they're at is a company that doesn't exist in a decade. Evolve or die. Gasoline engines went through continuous improvements over more than a century, and they're not done yet. I would expect the same for electric motors.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
What competition is coming out? Prototypes don't count, what actual cars are you referring to? I'm curious why people keep making this statement. Yea, lots of cool prototypes. Also, what's the qualifier for number of units produced for that automobile to be considered "competition"? Lucid made 7100 vehicles in 2022 and only delivered like 60% of them, is that considered competition? Asking for a friend ...

By the way ... Tesla is constantly revising their motors ... it's not a matter of power but they software limit them based on the drivetrain components and safety, in other words, those motors can shred your drivetrain if they weren't dialed back. For example, on the Plaid, the carbon rotor sleeves were needed to prevent the motor from ripping itself apart under load, wasn't all just hype.

While the Model 3 is insanely fun to drive due to its size, you need weight and traction (fat tires) to transfer that additional power to the ground, otherwise you're just tearing stuff up.
From what i have seen, Kia ev6 gt and Genesis GV60. They are all similar, barely eding out the MYP from what i have seen, could be wrong though.

My question stands more from the stance that M3 and MY have been out awhile now, updating the drivetrain on the P models to be a little quicker would just be another nail in the coffin and keep Teslas lead in every way.

The only reasons they would update the motors would be for efficiency, or to reduce cost to make them. The things already have plenty of output and are pretty much the standard against which all others are measured. The Koreans are close, and probably Lucid (who care a lot less about the costs of their motors)
The Koreans are not only close, but have surpassed the Model Y's performance.

Both the EV6 GT and GV60 Performance sprint to 60 quicker than the Model Y Performance.

And just to clarify, I'm not comparing the long range model as that's just what it is - built for range. But the performance model should definitely prioritize performance, even if that means upgrading the motors to compete with competitors.

Both the EV6 GT and GV60 Performance sprint to 60 quicker than the Model Y Performance.

And just to clarify, I'm not comparing the long range model as that's just what it is - built for range. But the performance model should definitely prioritize performance, even if that means upgrading the motors to compete with competitors.

I was talking motor-efficiency, where exactly as stated the Korean's are close.

I don't care about 0-60 times and it's silly to insist that the mainstream MYLR must be quicker than the ultra-performance trim of a competitor. ALL of these vehicles are faster than 99.9% of existing cars on the planet and the target market for the MYLR is NOT a bunch of nerdy bench racers worrying about tenths of a second, state-of-charge-during-test, and 1 foot rollout stats.

Yes, but at what cost? The range of those two is almost 100 miles shorter, yet the battery is only 7% smaller. I bet Tesla could get the MYP below 3 seconds on a 100 mile range hit. H/K/G is not a holistic improvement yet. (They are quicker, but limited to a market segment that does not prioritize range.)

I was talking motor-efficiency, where exactly as stated the Korean's are close.

I don't care about 0-60 times and it's silly to insist that the mainstream MYLR must be quicker than the ultra-performance trim of a competitor. ALL of these vehicles are faster than 99.9% of existing cars on the planet and the target market for the MYLR is NOT a bunch of nerdy bench racers worrying about tenths of a second, state-of-charge-during-test, and 1 foot rollout stats.
My last line states specifically that I was not talking about the MYLR. I'm talking about the Performance model.

If you're buying the performance trim of a model, you want the most performance possible.