Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Update Electric Motors This Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure the EV6 GT has a GT mode that's activated with the "GT" button on the steering wheel. I think you can stay in that mode as long as you'd like so it's not like a boost button. So they should be able to blow us away at stop lights without much issue. 😅
Is the GT button on all the time? Most X and S are as fast as 3 and Y unless Cheetah mode is activated ahead of time at a stop light, but who does that spur of the moment fun?

For EV6 GT That’s going to be reaction time and who has grippers tires at that point.

Is the GT button on all the time? Most X and S are as fast as 3 and Y unless Cheetah mode is activated ahead of time at a stop light, but who does that spur of the moment fun?

For EV6 GT That’s going to be reaction time and who has grippers tires at that point.
I think the EV6 GT mode should be able to stay on all the time, since it's supposed be one of the drive modes available. I'm not sure why it needs a separate button though. Maybe it's just to look cool or something.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
What do you consider a new motor? I just took delivery of a Model Y and (according to another person on this forum) have one of the first known 4D1 Performance (hairpin winding) motors in North America (equivalent to the prior 880 wire winding motor). Tesla is known to just slip in changes under the radar. As mentioned earlier, they are already not fully utilizing their motors and dial down performance. For instance, my Performance motor was installed on my Austin build Long Range with the software limiting it's 0-60 and peak speeds.

Last edited:
I think the EV6 GT mode should be able to stay on all the time, since it's supposed be one of the drive modes available. I'm not sure why it needs a separate button though. Maybe it's just to look cool or something.
The button is just excessive bad design. I have a Kia EV rental with Eco, Normal, sports mode and Eco+. Cheetah mode has to warm the battery and lower the suspension. Useful at the track but not stop light.

On the call yesterday they mentioned that they were going to pull excess cost, and performance, out of the powertrain. So, they are probably going to update the motors, but in the opposite way than you want.

They have literally put "P" motors (890's) in LR cars in the past. I would not be shocked to see a design iteration to make it all one single motor variant with max power controlled by software and surrounding circuits. Cheaper to make them all one way