Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Update Electric Motors This Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but at what cost? The range of those two is almost 100 miles shorter, yet the battery is only 7% smaller. I bet Tesla could get the MYP below 3 seconds on a 100 mile range hit. H/K/G is not a holistic improvement yet. (They are quicker, but limited to a market segment that does not prioritize range.)
I'm not saying they're better cars, just that they have better performance. Performance models should always prioritize performance over anything else, and the Model Y Performance is beat on that metric.

Reactions: exxxviii
I'm not saying they're better cars, just that they have better performance. Performance models should always prioritize performance over anything else, and the Model Y Performance is beat on that metric.
Agree. I think of the quicker cars like the Taycan, Lucid Air Dream, Audi e-tron GT, MB AMG EQS, Rivian, BMW i4, EV6 GB, GV60 Performance, Ioniq 5 N, etc. as niche cars since they serve a limited market due to high price, limited range, or both. Moderate cost + >250 miles is more of the broad market, everyman category. And in that category, MYP and M3P stand alone. (My caveat: 250 miles is my personal threshold that I set when shopping EVs for enough range to have plenty of safety net and convenience for everyday use.)

Reactions: YNoVA
Agree. I think of the quicker cars like the Taycan, Lucid Air Dream, Audi e-tron GT, MB AMG EQS, Rivian, BMW i4, EV6 GB, GV60 Performance, Ioniq 5 N, etc. as niche cars since they serve a limited market due to high price, limited range, or both. Moderate cost + >250 miles is more of the broad market, everyman category. And in that category, MYP and M3P stand alone. (My caveat: 250 miles is my personal threshold that I set when shopping EVs for enough range to have plenty of safety net and convenience for everyday use.)
Yes, I agree.

The Model Y Performance honestly has the best of both worlds. 300+ miles of range and top tier performance, couple that with the tech, supercharging network and sub 60k price tag it's a no brainer.

...I always chuckle at the rationale people contrive to suggest that improvement isn't needed. A company that gets comfortable where they're at is a company that doesn't exist in a decade. Evolve or die. Gasoline engines went through continuous improvements over more than a century, and they're not done yet. I would expect the same for electric motors.

Of course it depends on what one considers an "improvement". Do I want my car to be quicker than any other vehicle, or do I want an *appropriate* and useable level of quickness? I remember seeing a Ferrari less than a mile from the dealership, that had split the front of the car, all the way to the windshield, around a light pole. It was far too quick for that driver. But it sure was quick for a few seconds. The thought of our roads being chock-full of supercars is frightening, to be honest.

If you need bragging rights and want to play bench-racer, the Plaid Model S is your car, and is where further absurd-acceleration focus could go if/when needed, until the Roadster arrives to clean everyone's clock.

The Model Y is FINE - it has more than enough power for it's market segment. It sells without any need to be 0.2 seconds faster than the 200-mile-range Kia.

Of course it depends on what one considers an "improvement". Do I want my car to be quicker than any other vehicle, or do I want an *appropriate* and useable level of quickness? I remember seeing a Ferrari less than a mile from the dealership, that had split the front of the car, all the way to the windshield, around a light pole. It was far too quick for that driver. But it sure was quick for a few seconds. The thought of our roads being chock-full of supercars is frightening, to be honest.
What’s your definition of “appropriate and useable level of quickness?“ And what kind of Ferrari was it? High likelihood that the Model Y Performance is quicker than that Ferrari was. There are only a few quicker than 3.5 seconds.

I don't need a faster car.

But there are any number of ways the motors can be made better. Smaller, lighter, more efficient, etc. Those little things add up to a big competitive advantage when looking at the entire system. Other manufacturers have been doing this to ICEs for generations.

What’s your definition of “appropriate and useable level of quickness?“
For me, the MYLR in "chill mode" is about right.
And what kind of Ferrari was it?
A red one 😄
High likelihood that the Model Y Performance is quicker than that Ferrari was. There are only a few quicker than 3.5 seconds.
You're probably right; this was early 1990s as I was driving my new Miata home from the dealership. Thankfully today's cars make such power more tractable, but still I think the power available in Tesla's lineup is already a bit too much for a lot of drivers. Surely there's no need for Tesla to engage in a power "arms race" from where things stand now. Providing high levels of power was important for Tesla to dispel the public mindset of 15 years ago that EVs were slow, lumbering "punishment cars". But that mission has long since been accomplished.

Now that more competition is coming out, the model Y and model 3 performance are not the fastest in their class. Do you see Tesla adding some extra power and updating the electric motors this year? Feels a little overdue.

I can see a world where this recent price drop drives a lot of sales and then in a few months after those slow down, they update their power train and some other miscellaneous things to drive sales again.
I feel like there have been some subtle hints at this. I'm guessing it will mostly be about efficient, but maybe a small performance boost too. It has been a while since anything changed, and I'm sure they've been working on things.

Lets now eliminate the MYP and introduce a MY Plaid. The MY Plaid will the real difference in the market and with the recent price reduction, there is room for the upgraded component costs and still be in line with the EV6 GT. This MY version will blow it away all of the competition in this space with what Tesla does at the Plaid level and still keep blowing the competition with the best range. Btw, I have the pre price reduction MYP, love the vehicle, but at the number I paid I would love it to be a Plaid version. Imagine full performance Plaid version: " a tri-motor system and all-wheel drive that features torque vectoring and three independent carbon-sleeved rotors as well as powertrain and battery technologies that make for “unrivaled performance, range, and efficiency,”
This version might kill me.:eek:

Lets now eliminate the MYP and introduce a MY Plaid. The MY Plaid will the real difference in the market and with the recent price reduction, there is room for the upgraded component costs and still be in line with the EV6 GT. This MY version will blow it away all of the competition in this space with what Tesla does at the Plaid level and still keep blowing the competition with the best range. Btw, I have the pre price reduction MYP, love the vehicle, but at the number I paid I would love it to be a Plaid version. Imagine full performance Plaid version: " a tri-motor system and all-wheel drive that features torque vectoring and three independent carbon-sleeved rotors as well as powertrain and battery technologies that make for “unrivaled performance, range, and efficiency,”
What possible reason would Tesla have to compete with themselves and give people a reason to skip the much more expensive and profitable S/X?

Not seeing a lot of business sense in this suggestion.

The MSP and MXP are very different and for different wallets than a MYPlaid would be. I paid $72.5K for my MYP, ok ha ha I know, but imagine that today for a MY Plaid at say $82K and actually getting Plaid level components. Wow. No competition, MSP is a top sports sedan, MXP is a large SUV/GullWing doors, the MP Plaid would be a lesser SUV Plaid than the X Plaid, def have to tweak that difference. I see your point, but would have loved more for what I paid, but Im ok.:cool:

There is a plaid. It's the Model X Plaid. It's stupid fast. For those who need to bench race mini-vans, you're all set.

4680 cells exist in the form on the MYAWD. It has _LESS_ range than the MYLR. A breakthru would involve simply matching existing range

I think Tesla tries to avoid the Osborne effect and limit the 4680 Cells capacity for now.
The announced plan during the battery day was to increase the battery range to 500 miles.