Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla update the user manual along with wider "FSD" "beta" release?

Will Tesla update the user manual along with wider "FSD" "beta" release?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gearchruncher

Sep 20, 2016
Seattle, WA
Tesla's current (2021.24) manuals make it clear that Autosteer is not to be used on city streets.

1631078335400.png

1631078275010.png

There are many other warnings that would apply to CSA as well, such as that it will not turn at intersections. Do you think Tesla will update the manual when they release City Streets Autosteer in two weeks, or will they rely on "beta" testers to figure out where it is allowed to be used on their own, against warnings in the manual?

I initially voted no, but changed my vote to yes. The reason being that the current manual lists the functionality of many Beta features, so, this being another one, I don't see why not. Perhaps not an immediate manual update with the feature release, but I believe it will come for all.

The third option (for CSA enabled vehicles only) is very unlikely, the reason I say this is because, normally, various trims of the same car share the same manual, then they have remarks like *For vehicles equipped with HD Radio. I guess it's also a marketing tactic to sell upgrades.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Alright, just about 36 hours from 1,000 people getting the beta.
Any new votes if Tesla will actually have any kind of manual or instructions on use, or are they just going to drop this on people and let them figure it out, despite a clear concern that only the safest drivers get it, and manuals being a critical way for a safe driver to understand how to use a system?

People read tweets. Elon should just release the instructions 280 characters at a time.

But without a manual or other written description of what FSD is capable of and not, how will we know if a failure is the responsibility of the driver or the system?
You probably get a bit of information on general use in the introductory email. Then you're told to closely monitor and take over when necessary. There's much more information that's been put out by the various FSD Beta testers (eg. Chuck, DirtyTesla etc.)

You're going to have to figure out for yourself how to use it safely. By not creating a detailed Beta User's Manual, Tesla is saying "Just let it drive and take over when necessary". They don't want to admit the myriad of ways it can (and has) failed for others. Admitting its faults will just get picked up by the media - remember the quote: "wrong thing at the wrong time". IMO they should release a detailed user's manual, but that's only because that's what I'd do, (and only if I released a safe system would I then also release a user's manual.)

Its the responsibility of the driver. Thats the whole point of monitor carefully and early access and testing.
How does the driver know this is their responsibility?

And if that's true today, why does the manual tell you where it can be used and where it can't, and how it behaves? It's all just up to the driver, right, all you need is one line that says "your responsibility, drive safe."

Would you get into a plane with an autopilot that had no manual and just had a label that said "use at your own risk" and the pilot had no training or manual to refer to? Why are we OK driving next to systems like this that are being tested in public with so little thought about their development that no manual has been created? Isn't that one of the base things a well designed product would have?

You probably get a bit of information on general use in the introductory email.
Are you saying that the release process tomorrow will be them both uploading it to your car, as well as sending you an email?

Admitting its faults will just get picked up by the media
Well, the current manual says "do not use on city streets" so the media can report that Tesla uploaded software to people's cars that can only be used in contravention of the manual.

What about other drivers of the car?
Unless this is a different Beta program, I'd think it will be the same deal as the current FSD Beta drivers. Haven't we seen people other than the listed driver operating FSD Beta in their car? If you let someone else drive then you have given them responsibility under the assumption you have sufficiently trained them (or broken an only-you-can-drive clause). No idea, but hopefully some people will let us know the agreement on Saturday.