Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla upgrade the Autopilot computer on used cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering replacing my 2015 MS with a late 2017/early 2018 soon. I seems most used MS's from Tesla come with FSD. Most of the cars I look at have the AP2.5 computer (APH3) listed in the option codes. Does anyone know if Tesla will upgrade the computer to the AP3 hardware? Since I'll likely end up with an MCU1 car, it seems like it would be worth the $1500 to upgrade to MCU2 if they'll update the AP hardware too.

I'm considering replacing my 2015 MS with a late 2017/early 2018 soon. I seems most used MS's from Tesla come with FSD. Most of the cars I look at have the AP2.5 computer (APH3) listed in the option codes. Does anyone know if Tesla will upgrade the computer to the AP3 hardware? Since I'll likely end up with an MCU1 car, it seems like it would be worth the $1500 to upgrade to MCU2 if they'll update the AP hardware too.
Tesla will upgrade the AP hardware on used cars for free, but only if you have the FSD option.
It seems when you order the new MCU2 upgrade, they often include the AP3.0 hardware for free.

Tesla will upgrade the AP hardware on used cars for free, but only if you have the FSD option.
It seems when you order the new MCU2 upgrade, they often include the AP3.0 hardware for free.
But it has been reported here that they no longer do the HW3 upgrade since the price drop on the MCU upgrade. (Still do it for FSD)

I upgraded to a 2017 S with HW2.5 no FSD, cost another $10,000 for FSD and the monitor update added $2,500. 100 Safety score and waiting for Beta still. Patiently still