Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will teslas stock price play a factor in your ability to buy the model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. I might regret this, but what is the correlation between stock price being $300+ (over 10x the current GM stock price) and you buying a car you apparently don't need anyway? Elon himself said he felt the stock was overweight when it first broke the $200 mark.

You either like the car and trust that Tesla will be able to effectively support it or you don't.

Last edited:
In my case it would. I don't need to buy the model 3 or the S60d but being older it would be hard for me to rationalize buying if the stock was not in the $300 range.
These two things are unrelated no matter how old you are. If stocks are your only source of income and/or you have other gambling problems I might point you to the National Problem Gamblers Helpline at 1-800-522-4700.

The stock price has more to do with how people perceive the company vs how the company is actually doing. The stock price should have zero impact on your ability to purchase the car. If it does, then you probably cannot responsibly afford the car in the first place.

I'm with the others in wanting you to explain further. You said you're older so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you make wise decisions financially. Assuming you have the cash on-hand, can you elaborate as to why the stock price would affect your decision?

Reactions: Tiberius
In fairness to the OP, there are many people on this forum who have said that TSLA stock paid for their car. If the OP has his/her retirement well laid out and made an investment in TSLA in the hopes of using a future profit to buy a Model 3, it wouldn't be the first time on this forum. It doesn't make it a bad decision nor is it indicative of a gambling problem - it simply means that some people are only rewarding themselves with a Model 3 IF a particular investment pays off. It could be TSLA, could be another stock, could be some real estate.

You've got me intrigued too. Are you intending to cash out Tesla shares to buy your next car?
I wouldn't say I'm intrigued... more like bewildered.

In fairness to the OP, there are many people on this forum who have said that TSLA stock paid for their car. If the OP has his/her retirement well laid out and made an investment in TSLA in the hopes of using a future profit to buy a Model 3, it wouldn't be the first time on this forum. It doesn't make it a bad decision nor is it indicative of a gambling problem - it simply means that some people are only rewarding themselves with a Model 3 IF a particular investment pays off. It could be TSLA, could be another stock, could be some real estate.
So far, OP only said he's watching the stock price. Let's not roll out the jump to conclusions mat quite yet.

So far, OP only said he's watching the stock price. Let's not roll out the jump to conclusions mat quite yet.

Yeah, let's not roll out the jump to conclusions mat quite yet:

You either like the car and trust that Tesla will be able to effectively support it or you don't.

If stocks are your only source of income and/or you have other gambling problems I might point you to the National Problem Gamblers Helpline at 1-800-522-4700.

Marty the Dahlquist DQ10 fan is 65 and has been trading a long time. What is it, since you were about 12 or 13 years old (1963)?

For the last two years, you've been saying you're going to get a Tesla because of lower maintenance costs and Tesla's lack of dealerships. You even went to Burbank at 7 in the morning to wait in line for your reservation.

Like me, you have a Gen II prius. I know you have to be excited about the Model 3, I know I am. You aren't going to really let the stock price stop you and truly affect your purchase, are you?

Last edited:
Yeah, let's not roll out the jump to conclusions mat quite yet:

If stocks are your only source of income and/or you have other gambling problems I might point you to the National Problem Gamblers Helpline at 1-800-522-4700.

"You either like the car and trust that Tesla will be able to effectively support it or you don't." = FACT

"If stocks are your only source of income and/or you have other gambling problems I might point you to the National Problem Gamblers Helpline at 1-800-522-4700." = JOKE (that someone else made, btw)

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
"You either like the car and trust that Tesla will be able to effectively support it or you don't." = FACT

"If stocks are your only source of income and/or you have other gambling problems I might point you to the National Problem Gamblers Helpline at 1-800-522-4700." = JOKE

:rolleyes:

In fairness to the OP, there are many people on this forum who have said that TSLA stock paid for their car. If the OP has his/her retirement well laid out and made an investment in TSLA in the hopes of using a future profit to buy a Model 3, it wouldn't be the first time on this forum. It doesn't make it a bad decision nor is it indicative of a gambling problem - it simply means that some people are only rewarding themselves with a Model 3 IF a particular investment pays off. It could be TSLA, could be another stock, could be some real estate. = NOT JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS

You may have missed the other posts in this thread that I was responding to ...

No. I might regret this, but what is the correlation between stock price being $300+ (over 10x the current GM stock price) and you buying a car you apparently don't need anyway? Elon himself said he felt the stock was overweight when it first broke the $200 mark.

These two things are unrelated no matter how old you are. If stocks are your only source of income and/or you have other gambling problems I might point you to the National Problem Gamblers Helpline at 1-800-522-4700.

The stock price has more to do with how people perceive the company vs how the company is actually doing. The stock price should have zero impact on your ability to purchase the car. If it does, then you probably cannot responsibly afford the car in the first place.

I'm with the others in wanting you to explain further. You said you're older so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you make wise decisions financially. Assuming you have the cash on-hand, can you elaborate as to why the stock price would affect your decision?

For me no.

As long Tesla doesn't go bankrupt from acquiring Solar city then it shouldn't affect how people buying the Model 3 unless your sole of method of finance is from using the profit to purchase the car.

On Teslsa forum, one poster thought/expect Telsa stock should reach $1000 in 5 years or so:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

In fairness to the OP, there are many people on this forum who have said that TSLA stock paid for their car. If the OP has his/her retirement well laid out and made an investment in TSLA in the hopes of using a future profit to buy a Model 3, it wouldn't be the first time on this forum. It doesn't make it a bad decision nor is it indicative of a gambling problem - it simply means that some people are only rewarding themselves with a Model 3 IF a particular investment pays off. It could be TSLA, could be another stock, could be some real estate. = NOT JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS
Ok thanks for chiming in, very constructive. Do you have something to add?

No, it won't have any effect on my ability to buy it, but it may well have an effect on my willingness. The past is littered with companies that had a great idea, great execution, but then made a bad turn, a bad call, and died. Stock prices are a pretty good measure of how a company is perceived. It's not everything by a long shot. But I'll be watching the Solar City hugger mugger closely and with a special eye to any bleed through in Tesla's ability to deliver the Model 3.
Robin