Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the aftermarket add power to the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any aftermarket companies trying to make the Model S go faster?

It will be interesting to see how that niche (which is hugely popular for ICE cars) develops for electric cars.

Anything out there yet or any word of companies trying to 'crack open' the S to see if they can add more power?

It would be interesting to see how that works out. It wouldn't be mechanic piston head types, but rather computer hackers and EE nerds, tinkering with firmware, inverters, BMS, and electric motors. I could potentially do some of that, hmm...

I wouldn't surprised if there are ways to trade long term reliability of short term fun.

The same is done for over clocking PCs and "hot chipping" BMWs and Porsches.

If you don't have to worry about 4 year warranties you can stress the thermal system to higher limits for instance. But you could add extra cooling systems to compensate.

Right now the Tesla Model S will overheat after a few laps on a race course so there is an obvious incentive to fix this problem.

There were reports of a Roadster, in Chicago IIRC, whose owner had hacked the firmware to turn off all the safety limits. It was reportedly much faster than the stock car. Of course this completely invalidated the warranty. Not recommended.

Sounds interesting! Too bad there are not some forum posts about it. Maybe not a how-to but before and after lap times or something...

There were reports of a Roadster, in Chicago IIRC, whose owner had hacked the firmware to turn off all the safety limits. It was reportedly much faster than the stock car. Of course this completely invalidated the warranty. Not recommended.

Now y'all are getting into the territory of NEDRA. Probably more difficult to tinker with a P85 then a converted EV, but once the tinkering is complete, the car in theory could be much faster. Do a simple search for White Zombie to see what these cars can do now. Turning under 10 sec in the 1/4 mile is now becoming commonplace, and that's with DC motors. I would love to see someone who can successfully tune a P85 to that kind of speed!