TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the aftermarket add power to the Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by JohnEV, Aug 23, 2013.

1. JohnEV

JohnEV Member

Are there any aftermarket companies trying to make the Model S go faster?

It will be interesting to see how that niche (which is hugely popular for ICE cars) develops for electric cars.

Anything out there yet or any word of companies trying to 'crack open' the S to see if they can add more power?

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@JohnEV

I think that the Model S is already very fast. No need for further speed in my opinion. You may also choose the Performance Model S if you wish a faster Model S.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

There is a report that Binford Tools has been investigating two options for the Binford 3000 line, an Inverter Boost and a Motor Boost. "More Power!"

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

It would be interesting to see how that works out. It wouldn't be mechanic piston head types, but rather computer hackers and EE nerds, tinkering with firmware, inverters, BMS, and electric motors. I could potentially do some of that, hmm...

5. evmile

evmile Member

I wouldn't surprised if there are ways to trade long term reliability of short term fun.

The same is done for over clocking PCs and "hot chipping" BMWs and Porsches.

If you don't have to worry about 4 year warranties you can stress the thermal system to higher limits for instance. But you could add extra cooling systems to compensate.

Right now the Tesla Model S will overheat after a few laps on a race course so there is an obvious incentive to fix this problem.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Ill take the Binford Motor Boost 3000, but only if Al installs it.

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Absolutely. I'd love it if the Model S had the ability to get multiple laps under full power at the local track.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

There were reports of a Roadster, in Chicago IIRC, whose owner had hacked the firmware to turn off all the safety limits. It was reportedly much faster than the stock car. Of course this completely invalidated the warranty. Not recommended.

9. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Sounds interesting! Too bad there are not some forum posts about it. Maybe not a how-to but before and after lap times or something...

10. D_McAllister

D_McAllister Member

Would love this

11. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

would be quite interesting, but the P85 is quite fast already.

12. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    Now y'all are getting into the territory of NEDRA. Probably more difficult to tinker with a P85 then a converted EV, but once the tinkering is complete, the car in theory could be much faster. Do a simple search for White Zombie to see what these cars can do now. Turning under 10 sec in the 1/4 mile is now becoming commonplace, and that's with DC motors. I would love to see someone who can successfully tune a P85 to that kind of speed!