Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the AWD Model 3 Need Snow Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're awaiting delivery on a Dual Motor Model 3. It will live in the Boston area, so, it will encounter snow and hills, but no mountains and few heavy snow falls like we have in the California mountains. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the advisability or necessity of winter tires in that area.

Reactions: ghostbusta
I have been driving AWD/4WD vehicles for years in Colorado. Including a lot of time in the mountains. Personally, I don't see any benefit in buying a second set of winter tires for my vehicles. If I were driving RWD vehicles I would likely feel differently.

Not saying that there isn't any reason to have winter tires with AWD. But in over twenty years of driving here I have had no issues with AWD (and even FWD) not having winter tires as long as I'm running a good all season tire, with good tread life.

The bigger issue is why you would ever want to leave Palo Alto for Boston... ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Ciditad and debuggr
I have been driving AWD/4WD vehicles for years in Colorado. Including a lot of time in the mountains. Personally, I don't see any benefit in buying a second set of winter tires for my vehicles. If I were driving RWD vehicles I would likely feel differently.

Not saying that there isn't any reason to have winter tires with AWD. But in over twenty years of driving here I have had no issues with AWD (and even FWD) not having winter tires as long as I'm running a good all season tire, with good tread life.

The bigger issue is why you would ever want to leave Palo Alto for Boston... ;-)

I live in Boston and was wondering g the same thing. Thanks. Palo Alto to Boston comment @rdlink :D

Reactions: debuggr
Winter tires make a bigger difference in snow than AWD.
I would feel safer with RWD and winter tires, than AWD with all season tires.
AWD will help you get started, winter tires will help you stop.

This comes from 30 years of driving in Minnesota.

Not sure if this link works or not but here goes... Why You Should Be Driving on Winter/Snow Tires

Two guys above are right- for most things tires>drivetrain

Rwd on snow tires will be safer than awd with all seasons (though awd with snows will be better than either)

Not saying you can’t get away with all season but they call en that because they’re measurably inferior in all seasons compared to dedicated summer/winter tires

Reactions: Ron Kerensky
Winter tires make a bigger difference in snow than AWD.
I would feel safer with RWD and winter tires, than AWD with all season tires.
AWD will help you get started, winter tires will help you stop.

This comes from 30 years of driving in Minnesota.

Not sure if this link works or not but here goes... Why You Should Be Driving on Winter/Snow Tires

AGREED. I wouldn't get AWD if it wasn't faster, RWD with snows is fine.

We're awaiting delivery on a Dual Motor Model 3. It will live in the Boston area, so, it will encounter snow and hills, but no mountains and few heavy snow falls like we have in the California mountains. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the advisability or necessity of winter tires in that area.
AWD Subaru does great here in WNY taking me up my steep driveway w 1 feet of snow. Only got stuck w a wet drift of two feet when it lifted the wheels off the ground. All season tires do great hopefully w the tesla awd also.

Reactions: C141medic
You can drive in snow with summer, all season or winter tires.
The biggest difference is the braking distance which is the most dangerous part and can safe lives!
The braking distance on snow with summer tires (regardless RWD or AWD) is more than DOUBLE with summer tires compared to winter tires! And the all season need over 20% more space to come to a complete stop...
Beside the braking distance winter tires are better than summer tires in every situation (acceleration, cornering, braking,...) used in cold weather!

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle
What everyone says about tires and braking is definitely true. However, having driven my AWD Model X several winters in sorts of ice and slop both in the good all seasons the MX came with and really good winter tires I bought, the difference was way smaller than I thought it would be. I have also driven Subarus through many winters here with all seasons and winter tires. There was a BIG difference between braking and handling with the winter tires over the all seasons with the Subaru. I believe it is a combination of low center of gravity, super fast reactive Tesla traction control, and pure weight that makes my MX so much more capable in all seasons than past Subarus. With the AWD M3 you will have even lower center of gravity, the same traction control, but less weight, so probably it will be OK with all seasons if you are a good winter driver. In terms of Boston, with the climate changing I would say this is now a full on serious winter driving city. If you have a place store a set of winter wheels I would still invest in winters. Otherwise, try a winter without them and get a winters if it's not working out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
If we have enough money to afford a Tesla we have enough money to get a good set of winter tires plus wheels. Of course one can get by, but... it only takes one chance when one cannot stop well enough to make one realize that is a foolish economy. I'll go a step further and suggest that buying these:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - Non-studded Tire / Nokian Tires

Maybe I am too conservative but once, many years ago i tried to economize and ended out sliding into someone else's car, a friend's, actually. That cured me.
I suggest looking at it this way: You'll have longer tire life on your summer tires, so it is not 100% redundant cost.

According to a major Swedish (where it is winter road conditions half the year...) insurance company, AWD increases the risk of accidents with 20-30% compared to 2WD
Ny rapport: Fyrhjulsdrivna bilar ger fler personskadeolyckor

Having lived in Sweden and driven in all kinds of snow for 15 years, I would agree that AWD makes winter tires more important. Personally I had more serious close calls with AWD than 2WD on snow.

To state the obvious again; with 2WD you feel the skidding and slow down. With AWD you get up to speed quickly and when you turn or brake it's often too late to discover how slippery the road actually is.

Have some tests.

From a personal standpoint, I've driven Front Wheel Drive cars with winter tyres through pretty terrible weather with very little issues. They always felt much safer cornering in the winter months and a lot grippier on country roads; not to mention hauling a very unsuitable car through snowfall.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando
If we have enough money to afford a Tesla we have enough money to get a good set of winter tires plus wheels. Of course one can get by, but... it only takes one chance when one cannot stop well enough to make one realize that is a foolish economy. I'll go a step further and suggest that buying these:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - Non-studded Tire / Nokian Tires

These are fantastic tires for Boston winters. I've had them on my last two cars.

Winter tires, no question.

the question should be studded or not.

It depends on how important it is to drive in bad weather, or if you can wait out a storm.

when i was working in NE, where i worked did not shut down for a for a blizzard or anything else. So I got the studded. If I didn't have to drive through those conditions, I would have gotten winter, non studded. and kept chains in the trunk. had rwd.

I saw plenty of 4wd suvs fly past me on those blizzard days, a few miles later they were in the ditch.

• Helpful
Reactions: HopeToGolf