Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the car lock itself after unlocked with phone app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I'm very new to the club, just got my car about a week ago. While testing keyless driving, I noticed the car will lock itself after driving exiting the car. However, will it lock itself only after I unlock and open the trunk? If I just unlock the trunk with my phone without touching the rest of the doors, will it automatically lock itself after I close the trunk? Thank you very much for your help! I also noticed something interesting, after exiting the car, it will lock itself faster/sooner without the key. Is this because if the car detects the key fob within a certain range, it will remain unlocked for a extended period of time?

Yes. The car detects the key fob and when you are approx 30ft away (my guess, might be 20), the car locks, if set to do so through the control panel. It is a settable option. My understanding about the Tesla app on a phone is that if you unlock it, then approach the car with your key on you, then leave, it will lock. There is uncertainty about if you unlock with the phone and either do not approach the car, or approach with no key. I have recently read that some have had the car not lock in that situation. So I would suggest that if you do not have your key and you unlock and/or drive the car, that you use the app to lock. I have not tested it because I always have my key on me. I find it easier to just have the key on me, rather than using the app on my phone, no matter how neat it may be. It's just always in my pocket. My car has always locked when I leave it, having the key in my pocket. I didn't trust it at first. But it has proved to be very reliable.