Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the car resume charging on its own?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I plug my car in at night. It finishes charging and shuts off. Over night I loose some amount of range due to Vampire load. After some amount of loss, will the charging resume? If so, how much does the charge have to deplete before it comes back on to top up?

Since a software update that I installed around the end of October, my S will wake up about every 22-24 hours and top off its charge, as long as I leave it plugged in. Charges to about 242 Rated (standard charge), drops to about 230, then charges again to 242. Doesn't it work that way for everybody?

I'll be able to monitor it while I'm gone this week -- I haven't left it plugged in for a full day up till now. ;)

Since a software update that I installed around the end of October, my S will wake up about every 22-24 hours and top off its charge, as long as I leave it plugged in. Charges to about 242 Rated (standard charge), drops to about 230, then charges again to 242. Doesn't it work that way for everybody?

that's been my experience too, since 4.0 even, i think. haven't seen it get much below 230 when still plugged in i don't think.

Would like the ability to kick-start charging with the app -- ie if I'm out of town and heading home, and see the charge is down to 220 or something and plugged in, would like to restart the charging so when I get home it would have the full charge. Hope that's in a future update.

It's kind of a hack, but you can top off a standard charge by moving the slider to range charge in the iPhone app, waiting about 10 seconds for it to start charging, then moving the slider back to standard charge. The car should then charge back up to a full standard charge and stop normally.

I agree that a "start charging" button would be a nice addition to the iPhone app.

I agree that a "start charging" button would be a nice addition to the iPhone app.

start charging.PNG

I never realize the "start charging" button would appear when you stopped charging via the iPhone app (although aviators99 apparently knew this).

So let me rephrase things- it would great if they changed the app so that the "start charging" button didn't disappear after charging was complete to allow you to manually replace the charge lost to vampire loss before it gets to the point that the car starts charging again on its own.

charging_complete.jpg

Just flip it to Max Range for a few seconds and then back to Standard. It will start charging and top off a standard charge. Not ideal, but will do what you are looking for. I've read about owners doing the flip to Max Range in the morning while they get ready to leave so the battery warms up so you won't get limited regen if the car was cold.