TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the car resume charging on its own?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gtimbers, Mar 29, 2013.

1. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

So I plug my car in at night. It finishes charging and shuts off. Over night I loose some amount of range due to Vampire load. After some amount of loss, will the charging resume? If so, how much does the charge have to deplete before it comes back on to top up?

2. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Would like the ability to kick-start charging with the app -- ie if I'm out of town and heading home, and see the charge is down to 220 or something and plugged in, would like to restart the charging so when I get home it would have the full charge. Hope that's in a future update.

3. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

You can do that with the phone app now.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

What I saw in 4.2 was it topped off daily. I have not checked 4.3.

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Since a software update that I installed around the end of October, my S will wake up about every 22-24 hours and top off its charge, as long as I leave it plugged in. Charges to about 242 Rated (standard charge), drops to about 230, then charges again to 242. Doesn't it work that way for everybody?

6. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

So if I just leave it alone for 24 hours (or so) it should resume and top up?

7. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

I'll be able to monitor it while I'm gone this week -- I haven't left it plugged in for a full day up till now. ;)

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yes, it's a bit of an irregular schedule judging from watching the pattern while I was out of town for a week, but I never saw the range get below 230 miles and it topped itself up at least once daily.

9. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

Excellent, thanks for the help. I never leave it alone long enough. I can always find some errand that just must be done..............

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Any excuse to drive, eh? I resemble that remark!

11. dtich

dtich #P708

that's been my experience too, since 4.0 even, i think. haven't seen it get much below 230 when still plugged in i don't think.

12. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

It's kind of a hack, but you can top off a standard charge by moving the slider to range charge in the iPhone app, waiting about 10 seconds for it to start charging, then moving the slider back to standard charge. The car should then charge back up to a full standard charge and stop normally.

I agree that a "start charging" button would be a nice addition to the iPhone app.

13. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I would assume the answer to the OPs question is yes. Otherwise, what's the point of saying to leave it plugged in all the time per Tesla's official guidance. But would be nice to confirm.

14. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

start charging.PNG

15. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

That one will only work if you stop the charging. Not if it completes.

16. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I never realize the "start charging" button would appear when you stopped charging via the iPhone app (although aviators99 apparently knew this).

So let me rephrase things- it would great if they changed the app so that the "start charging" button didn't disappear after charging was complete to allow you to manually replace the charge lost to vampire loss before it gets to the point that the car starts charging again on its own.

charging_complete.jpg

17. dbfish

dbfish Member

Just flip it to Max Range for a few seconds and then back to Standard. It will start charging and top off a standard charge. Not ideal, but will do what you are looking for. I've read about owners doing the flip to Max Range in the morning while they get ready to leave so the battery warms up so you won't get limited regen if the car was cold.