Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the cybertruck be able to haul motorcycles in the bed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got my reservation in for a cybertruck and I currently have a Model 3 Performance. I really enjoy motorsports. My plan is to replace my model 3 with the cybertruck, and get a dedicated track car that I can tow to the track with the cybertruck. I also like taking my sportbike (Ninja H2 SX SE) to the track. The wheelbase is 58.3 inches and overall length is 84 inches. Which would easily fit in an 8ft bed. But the cybertruck bed length is 78 inches long. The tire size on the bike is 120/70r17. So I think the outer diameter is 23.61inches. Not accounting for rake/trail and estimating that the contact patches are directly below the axles, I'm assuming the length of the bike from the tip of the front tire to the rear contact patch is about 70 inches. (Wheelbase 58.3+ (front tire diameter 23.61/2)=69.805 inches). So I should be able to fit the bike in the bed with a wheel chock and the contact patch for the rear tire still in the bed and not on the tail gate. But the tailgate won't be able to close
05_Desktop.jpg

Looking at the picture from the cybertruck website it appears there are taillights behind the tailgate so I'm assuming the truck can drive with the tailgate open. But I don't see a third center tail/brake light l which I'm pretty sure is required on all modern vehicles sold in the US. So hopefully it will be able to legally drive in the US with the tailgate down.

If in the future if I get a bike with a longer wheelbase that ends up with the rear contact patch on the tailgate will the tailgate be able to support it? It doesn't have the traditional cables that most trucks have. Also the cybertruck tailgate looks like it opens further than 90°. The tailgate dropped manually at the demo. If someone loaded a bike or something similar with a length over 78 inches using the ramp, they might not be able to get the tailgate lifted back to being flush with the bed.

I really hope that the cybertruck will be able to haul motorcycles in the bed without issue. I don't want to have to hook up a trailer just to haul a bike or two around.

I've got my reservation in for a cybertruck and I currently have a Model 3 Performance. I really enjoy motorsports. My plan is to replace my model 3 with the cybertruck, and get a dedicated track car that I can tow to the track with the cybertruck. I also like taking my sportbike (Ninja H2 SX SE) to the track. The wheelbase is 58.3 inches and overall length is 84 inches. Which would easily fit in an 8ft bed. But the cybertruck bed length is 78 inches long. The tire size on the bike is 120/70r17. So I think the outer diameter is 23.61inches. Not accounting for rake/trail and estimating that the contact patches are directly below the axles, I'm assuming the length of the bike from the tip of the front tire to the rear contact patch is about 70 inches. (Wheelbase 58.3+ (front tire diameter 23.61/2)=69.805 inches). So I should be able to fit the bike in the bed with a wheel chock and the contact patch for the rear tire still in the bed and not on the tail gate. But the tailgate won't be able to closeView attachment 564761
Looking at the picture from the cybertruck website it appears there are taillights behind the tailgate so I'm assuming the truck can drive with the tailgate open. But I don't see a third center tail/brake light l which I'm pretty sure is required on all modern vehicles sold in the US. So hopefully it will be able to legally drive in the US with the tailgate down.

If in the future if I get a bike with a longer wheelbase that ends up with the rear contact patch on the tailgate will the tailgate be able to support it? It doesn't have the traditional cables that most trucks have. Also the cybertruck tailgate looks like it opens further than 90°. The tailgate dropped manually at the demo. If someone loaded a bike or something similar with a length over 78 inches using the ramp, they might not be able to get the tailgate lifted back to being flush with the bed.

I really hope that the cybertruck will be able to haul motorcycles in the bed without issue. I don't want to have to hook up a trailer just to haul a bike or two around.

Can you load it diagonally? Eith the tailgate up, it's >91 inches corner to corner, sqrt(78^2+48^2)

If the CT tailgate can't lock flat to support 8 foot sheet goods, that would be a very surprising fail on Tesla's part.

I could see a locking mechanism like a reclining seat back controlled by the handle. One detent for flat, and an end stop for the ramp. Maybe even an extra one at 45 degrees up for situations like yours.

You could also use a hitch carrier. I take my Sv650 to the track usually in my trailer, however this hitch carrier works great. I've carried my FJ09 with it too. But either way, cybertruck bed should work for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_111647.jpg
    IMG_20170617_111647.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 280
There are tons people out there with motorcycles in 5 foot beds. You'll easily fit in the Cybertruck. Anybody hauled a motorcycle in their tacoma?

A lot of that thread talks about the tailgates bending under the weight of a bike. The Tacoma also has the two cables supporting the tailgate. The solution that seemed to pop up was using a thick piece of plywood to reinforce the tailgate. I don't know if that will work on a tailgate that supports down lower than 90°.

You could also use a hitch carrier. I take my Sv650 to the track usually in my trailer, however this hitch carrier works great. I've carried my FJ09 with it too. But either way, cybertruck bed should work for you.

I'm not a fan of those hitch mounted carriers. I had a bad experience loading a bike and it did a little over $5,000 in damages. I don't know what the max tongue weight is for the cybertruck but my bike it's over 500lbs which seems to be a common limit for hitch tongue weights. Pictures of the cybertruck at the Peterson museum show the hitch and it looks similar to the hitch on the model X which has a max tongue weight of 500lbs.
20160602_222034.jpg

I have a trailer but will probably upgrade to a car hauler. There won't be much of a point in keeping the small utility trailer I use for the bike now when I have the larger trailer. I would like to avoid towing the bike on a trailer because I think hauling it in the bed will have a smaller effect on the battery consumption.

A lot of that thread talks about the tailgates bending under the weight of a bike. The Tacoma also has the two cables supporting the tailgate. The solution that seemed to pop up was using a thick piece of plywood to reinforce the tailgate. I don't know if that will work on a tailgate that supports down lower than 90°.

I'm not a fan of those hitch mounted carriers. I had a bad experience loading a bike and it did a little over $5,000 in damages. I don't know what the max tongue weight is for the cybertruck but my bike it's over 500lbs which seems to be a common limit for hitch tongue weights. Pictures of the cybertruck at the Peterson museum show the hitch and it looks similar to the hitch on the model X which has a max tongue weight of 500lbs.View attachment 564801

I have a trailer but will probably upgrade to a car hauler. There won't be much of a point in keeping the small utility trailer I use for the bike now when I have the larger trailer. I would like to avoid towing the bike on a trailer because I think hauling it in the bed will have a smaller effect on the battery consumption.

Tongue weight is usually specified as 10% of trailer weight. the X has a max trailer of 5,000, so the hitch is 500. Cybertruck trimotor towing is called out as at 14k pounds so the hitch would be 1,400 lbs or so. I expect the frame is the same on all three variants. Even if not, the RWD is 7,500 trailer, so 750 lbs hitch.

Reactions: cOoTeR
Can you load it diagonally? Eith the tailgate up, it's >91 inches corner to corner, sqrt(78^2+48^2)

If the CT tailgate can't lock flat to support 8 foot sheet goods, that would be a very surprising fail on Tesla's part.

I could see a locking mechanism like a reclining seat back controlled by the handle. One detent for flat, and an end stop for the ramp. Maybe even an extra one at 45 degrees up for situations like yours.
Diagonally would probably work but doing that reduces the angle that the tie down straps have and can cause rubbing.

I'm pretty sure it will sit flat just unsure if it will support the weight of the back half of a large motorcycle. The motorcycle wrought would be concentrated on a small area of the tailgate. But a load of lumber or pallet of something will have weight spread out and share weight distribution with the bed itself.

Reactions: mongo
Tongue weight is usually specified as 10% of trailer weight. the X has a max trailer of 5,000, so the hitch is 500. Cybertruck trimotor towing is called out as at 14k pounds so the hitch would be 1,400 lbs or so. I expect the frame is the same on all three variants. Even if not, the RWD is 7,500 trailer, so 750 lbs hitch.
Mongo do you have a motorcycle that you call "Mongo"?

Mongo do you have a motorcycle that you call "Mongo"?

Nope, in the bike category I only have an 18 speed.
Must be another pawn in the game of life.

I'm pretty sure it will sit flat just unsure if it will support the weight of the back half of a large motorcycle. The motorcycle wrought would be concentrated on a small area of the tailgate. But a load of lumber or pallet of something will have weight spread out and share weight distribution with the bed itself.
I'm guessing it can hold 2-3 people sitting on it.Or someone walking on it then jumping off.

Thats not how max hitch weight of the vehicle is calculated. Motorcycle carriers also add a side to side twisting force so you want to be under what the max hitch weight your truck is rated for. I wouldn't use those ever.

Thats not how max hitch weight of the vehicle is calculated. Motorcycle carriers also add a side to side twisting force so you want to be under what the max hitch weight your truck is rated for. I wouldn't use those ever.
Yah, that's why the X trailer hitch weight is 500 lbs, but the bike carrier weight rating is only 120lbs. A large part of that limit is likely the Bosal two piece setup versus a direct mounted receiver.