Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Cybertruck Be able to tow a 5th Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not very hopeful. The clearance doesn't only have to be over the axle, but for sharp turns, most of the bed as you have to accommodate the entire width of the trailer:
5w turn.jpg

There is this gizmo:
5w what.jpg

but I'm not sure how easy that would be to reverse into a campsite with.

about 15.4 inches based on known measurements. Numbers are a little wonky just because this isn't a perfect profile. but it's certainly closer to a foot than 6 inches. The counter to the reach over argument is if there's something you could grab over the edge that close to the cab you could probably store it in the huge trunk or sail panel storage instead and have just as easy access to it

View attachment 481751

used Measure in photo online - eleif.net

Thanks. Not sure that's the answer I wanted, but it's an answer. I presume there's some variation in how much clearance 5th wheels allow, and I know many have adjustable kingpin heights, but it looks like it'll be tight at best.

For reaching over for stuff in the bed, once we realized the sail panels open outwards I think that'll be a much better solution for anything that isn't really bulky - and those things you'll probably want to take up the ramp anyway.

As reference. Here is a render that someone did. Assuming it’s accurate the height of the sails at the rear axle is what? 6 inches ish or higher than the fossil truck

View attachment 481730
I saw that render. The problem is that the interior rear seating looked to have a lot of headroom in the first ride videos. If that render is accurate, the headroom is severely compromised. So I'm thinking there is something wrong with the render. Some of those guys in the back seat were pretty tall.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
5th wheels have been the same for 100 years too. Possibly they will need to be redesigned with a triangulated front to be compatible with the cybertruck or future heavy duty truck. There may be a way to adapt "classic" 5th wheel campers through modification or such as raising the jack point, but it really isn't the safest thing to be hauling without having dual rear wheels/ heavier mass. We will have to see when Tesla releases their "Cybertruck Pro" or 1-ton equivalent truck with dual rear wheels and more towing capacity. Dodge and Chevy 3500 series can tow up to 35,000 lbs and the Cybertruck is not quite as capable.

Technically, a Ford F150 (or Tesla Cybertruck) could tow a fifth wheel recreational vehicle, but it is not recommended. A fifth wheel is rather large and very close to the tow capacity specifications almost to an unsafe level. Due to the smaller size and build of the truck, you will have less control over the trailer.

Technically, a Ford F150 (or Tesla Cybertruck) could tow a fifth wheel recreational vehicle, but it is not recommended. A fifth wheel is rather large and very close to the tow capacity specifications almost to an unsafe level. Due to the smaller size and build of the truck, you will have less control over the trailer.
You really, really do not want the trailer pushing the rear wheels sideways.

Title: Average Weight of a Fifth Wheel Trailer (with 18 examples)
Average Weight of a Fifth Wheel Trailer (with 18 examples) | Camper Report
Fifth wheels vary widely in weight. From the lightest at 2,400 pounds to the heavyweight champ of 20,000 pounds, choosing one requires attention to detail. Most weigh between 7,000 and 20,000 pounds with the average weight being between 12,000 and 15,000 pounds. Let’s discuss types of fifth wheels and some specific examples of weight.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
It looks like that would add about 4 feet to the length of the trailer and cut down on the amount of weight you could tow.
Cut down the amount of Weight? "when using with Automated Safety Hitch, it’s tested for a 30k trailer with 6300 lb tongue weight"

Like a weight distributing hitch for goosenecks, Safety Hitch distributes trailer tongue weight to two truck axles. That’s the biggest towing problem for newer 1/2 ton trucks, they have low axle ratio options, enough horsepower and torque and brakes for larger trailers, but have semi-floating rear axles that are not made for constant loads. With Automated Safety Hitch, the trailer tongue weight is spread out to the truck axle and the Safety Hitch axle.
<snip>
Gooseneck ball placement is adjustable for and aft or up and down. 3 point receiver hitch is Class V for 16k trailer by itself, when using with Automated Safety Hitch, it’s tested for a 30k trailer with 6300 lb tongue weight. Look at allot of flatbed semi trailers, they will have 9 ft between the trailer axles and they don’t steer. Does take a little more room to back up with the extra 9 ft. but you get use to it quickly.
Via: Automated Safety Hitch, adds an axle to your pickup truck - welcome to mrtrailer.com

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
In think the sails on each side will prevent using a fifth wheel. Disappointing. They also prevent the ability of installing tool bin beds used by many electricians.

1/2 tons are not ideal for 5th wheels. And if this suv is competing against 1/2 tons then 5th wheels are not meant for it in the 1st place.
There is no place to mount the hitch, the sails are in the way of the trailer, and at 20-25% pin weight the camber on the rear IRS is going to look funky. Unless you bag it, but it would ride like crap.
And dragging all that air is going to really cut into the useful range.

Reactions: doghousePVD
1/2 tons are not ideal for 5th wheels. And if this suv is competing against 1/2 tons then 5th wheels are not meant for it in the 1st place.
There is no place to mount the hitch, the sails are in the way of the trailer, and at 20-25% pin weight the camber on the rear IRS is going to look funky. Unless you bag it, but it would ride like crap.

20-25% of the max 14,000 pound trailer would be 2800-3500 pounds. The max payload in the bed is 3500 pounds. So it’s no different than loading it up - and it has a built in automatically adjusting air suspension that will level the truck.

Some of your other points are more valid, unfortunately. :(

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
20-25% of the max 14,000 pound trailer would be 2800-3500 pounds. The max payload in the bed is 3500 pounds. So it’s no different than loading it up - and it has a built in automatically adjusting air suspension that will level the truck.

Ever ridden in a truck with bags at more than 5 psi? They ride like crap. Level is one thing ride is another. This is one reason IRS is inferior as a towing or hauling platform. A solid rear does not change camber no matter what you throw into it.
I didn't bag my current truck.

Most people are not buying a 1/2 ton to tow a 5th wheel. Infact 99.9% of 1/2tons I see driving about don’t tow a ball hitch trailer let alone a 5th wheel. Anything sized to be towed with a 5th should be behind at least a 3/4ton.

If buying group continues as it does with trucks

90% will not use it to tow anything or install a rack.
9% will use it to tow a ball hitch trailer or install a rack.
1% or less will use it to tow a 5th wheel.

Sadly guys you are not their priority but other brands may support 5th wheels in their electric vehicles but don’t expect millage to be good at all. You are looking at 40-50% reduction on a standard 5x8 trailer let alone something like a 5th wheel. You may see less than 150miles between stops.

The truck comes with standard air suspension.. bagging it would not be an issue.

Also yes, 1/2 tons are not made for 5th wheels.

In think the sails on each side will prevent using a fifth wheel. Disappointing. They also prevent the ability of installing tool bin beds used by many electricians.

So what about the fact that it has a frunk and there is storage located in side those "sail" pieces?

There are also many other ways to store tools besides the stereotypical utility bed