Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Cybertruck Be able to tow a 5th Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ability to utilize the new dually design with a 3/4 ton vehicle Yes No
Enables a 3/4 pickup to pull same size trailer as a 1 ton dually Yes N/A
So if I exceed the weight limits of my truck and have have an accident or receive a ticket will this company go to bat for me in a lawsuit or represent me in court

Conventional steel which is not what they’re using. They’re using a proprietary alloy designed at SpaceX for rockets which necessitates low weight, weight eats money when getting to space. This is all ignoring the fact that they outright said “it will be about the same weight as the F150” they outright said it, and it’s not like they didn’t have a prototype to weigh of all the things they could get wrong I’m betting that’s not one of them

the density of steel (including stainless steel) barely changes with changes to the alloy (the same is true for aluminum alloys). All the steels fall in the range of 7.8 to 8.2 g/cm^3. (Around 0.3 lb/ft^3 for those still using the queen’s units).

What changes dramatically is the strength to weight ratio. If you can make the steel much stronger, you might exceed the strength to weight ratio of good aluminum alloys.

There is roughly a 3x difference in density between steel and aluminum, and the best steels can be more than 3x stronger than better aluminum alloys, so this works...

in the end, it’s not that simple since toughness, fatigue, weldability, formability, corrosion resistance, etc all need to be thought about.

Cyber Hitch

upload_2020-12-5_23-32-1.png

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Someone should modify the (semi) standard trailer connector to have a standard backup camera pinout that passes thru trailer backup camera to show instead of trucks' backup cameras when the trailer is connected. Bonus points if Tesla made an extension that put side cameras on the trailer for its upcoming birds eye view. Not to mention putting batteries in the trailer flatbed.

For some folks using the Safety Hitch will constitute towing a tandem trailer. This is not legal in many states. There's also the issue of the length that it adds to the fifth wheel. The Cybertruck is 19'4". Add 6 ft for the Safety Hitch and then say another 40' for a fifth wheel, and now you're at 65'4". My F450 dually comes to 52' with my 35' fifth wheel in tow.

As someone who tows fairly often, I am very doubtful of a truck with a GVWR of 10k lbs being able to adequately and safely tow something like a 17k lbs fifth wheel. When you add the tandem trailer to the equation, you're setting yourself up for some possible instabilities.

Finally, you should be aware that if you're combine GVW of the truck, Safety Hitch, and trailer are over 26k lbs, you will need a non-commercial Class A driver's license. This means you will have to go to a DMV and take the regular commercial Class A driver's test which includes being able to back the fifth wheel up a certain distance into a parking space, as well as backing it up into a dock. If you don't have a lot of experience towing, this is NOT an easy test. This license may also up your insurance.

I see lots of folks towing overweight on the roads. These people are a danger to themselves and to others who share the road with them. Please don't try and band aid the situation. Buy enough truck to tow what you want to tow. Just because a F250 has the same motor as a F450 does not mean it can tow a heavy fifth wheel as well. You have to consider the payload of the truck, the suspension, and the stability. I've encountered situations where I had to short brake because some ninny cut in front of me. My 15.5" brakes did their job and thankfully I didn't hit the guy. I've also towed my fifth wheel through a dust devil, which is a mini-tornado. I was VERY fortunate to be in a dually. I merely felt a sharp jolt. Had I been in a truck that was towing near its limit and only had single rear wheels, there could have been a seriously bad outcome.

I love the concept of the Cybertruck. But Tesla did not design it to tow a fifth wheel.

This won't get counted as a trailer. If you look almost all double and triple trailer setups use larger versions of these. GCVWR and total length limits will still apply but it wont be considered an extra trailer.

What kind of license you need depends on what state you live in. Not all states require class A licenses to drive large trucks. NJ if I personally own a full size semi and am using it for personal non commercial use I can drive it with my normal drivers license.