Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Cybertruck Float?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

With all the touting of toughness for the the Tesla Cybertruck, many are anxious for real-world test.

For instance, a Twitter user asked Chief Executive Elon Musk if the truck will be sufficient for his hunting and fishing adventures that may require the vehicle to cross streams. “Can I do it without damaging the truck?” he asked. 

Musk toed the toughness narrative – not only will it cross a river, the Cybertruck may be able to float in deep water. The Cybertruck is a boat?Musk made similar claims about the Model S in 2006.

It’s hard to imagine one of America’s most popular pickups taking on a lake. It’s going to be interesting to see how Cybertruck forces innovation in the pickup truck market.

The Tesla Cybertruck is slated to go into production in 2021, though Tesla has yet to construct a factory to build the vehicle. But, Musk continues to hype the Cybertruck, saying it will be his personal vehicle of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it float as well as Model S:

"mmkell | September 10, 2013
OK, I heard from Tesla and the insurance company. Bad news...$9930.00. Good news, the insurance covers it less the deductible.

Clearly, I did not deliberately drive into deep water. In heavy rain, at night, with limited visibility, everybody has unexpectedly hit water. I can't quantify it because I couldn't see it, so I just got out of there as fast as possible. All I am saying is that there was a lot of damage so be careful. I do have the air suspension but was too stupid to think ahead and raise the car......"

Float on water? Pfffft, It was just leaked that it will actually drive on water, feed millions with a single loaf of bread, and heal COVID-19 (or any other disease). For surely it is the Son of Musk, and who shall believeth in the CyberTruck shall live forever.

• Funny
Reactions: Qbenjamin
Float on water? Pfffft, It was just leaked that it will actually drive on water, feed millions with a single loaf of bread, and heal COVID-19 (or any other disease). For surely it is the Son of Musk, and who shall believeth in the CyberTruck shall live forever.

Let's have a moment of silence for Grimes, whose unpleasant task it will be to push out this love child. Do you think she was impregnated by a divine robot?

Water crossing is tough on trucks. If you go in much deeper than the bottom of the doors You have to flood the interior to maintain traction and don’t float away. Destroys door speakers and As you can imagine super dangerous. When I was routinely driving HUMVEE’s when we crossed deeper water would open the door to flood so it wouldn’t float.

Land cruisers! I have over 30 years of owning at least one on any occasion: an ‘84 Fj60 from ‘89- 95, ‘92 80 series from ‘95-‘19, and currently own a ‘13 200 series since it was new. In the video they are in 70 series, they are bomb proof but very utilitarian. Most don’t have power windows, power door locks, have a real key, no keyless entry, some don’t have a radio or AC, white knuckle to drive at over 60mph, really an industrial tool. It’s common to see land cruisers in remote parts of the world that have 300-500k+ miles that have been driven entirely off road. I drove one in the Middle East that had over 900k km on the ODO driven entirely in the sand/rocks. Tesla should benchmark the land cruiser for the CT but I’m betting no way they will.