Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the following size tires work on an S - 255/45 R20 and 275/45 R20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I'm getting a used set of wheels off a Model X and it has the following sized tires on it - 255/45 R20 and 275/45 R20. I'm just wondering if I will need to replace the tires or not.

I'm ok with a bit of rubbing in the front on full lock reverse, but not more than that.

I know that 245/40 R20 and 275/35 R20 will work no problem. I'm just concerned about 255/45 in the front.

I'm running 255/45R19 in front and 285/40R19 in the rear, slight rubbing against the plastic liner close to full lock, but otherwise works great. I'm also running 9.5 wheels in front and need a spacer to not hit the suspension arm, so you might not even get the rubbing depending on your offset.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I'm running 255/45R19 in front and 285/40R19 in the rear, slight rubbing against the plastic liner close to full lock, but otherwise works great. I'm also running 9.5 wheels in front and need a spacer to not hit the suspension arm, so you might not even get the rubbing depending on your offset.
The offset is more than what it is on an S. I think it's at least half an inch more.

So you really think I won't have any issue with these taller tires on a bigger rim (20 inch)?

I was going based on width, but now I see that they're taller too. You might have a good bit more rubbing than I do with 19s. If you're getting the wheels no matter what, I'd just wait to test fit before deciding on tires.

Reactions: SilverGS
Thanks it's a for sale thread on here with the Model X slipstreams in 20 inches and those tires. So basically I would have to replace the tires as the seller is in Maryland and I'm in Canada :). Test fitting them won't happen. :)

Sorry for the offtop, but do you think that wider rear tires will help on a P100D? Or there is no noticeable difference?
(I am on 245/45R19 Michelin Pilot now)

Sorry for the offtop, but do you think that wider rear tires will help on a P100D? Or there is no noticeable difference?
(I am on 245/45R19 Michelin Pilot now)

Had a couple issues that kept me away from the drag strip, combined with it being football season, so I don't have numbers. It definitely feels like it grips better on launch, and I don't hear as much slipping as I did with the factory tires. Likely a combination of width and the fact that they're Pilot Super Sports.

Had a couple issues that kept me away from the drag strip, combined with it being football season, so I don't have numbers. It definitely feels like it grips better on launch, and I don't hear as much slipping as I did with the factory tires. Likely a combination of width and the fact that they're Pilot Super Sports.
I hear lots of slipping. And we are in chicago, so lots of red lights where my tires slip. I am torn because i heard on this forum that wider tires dont make a difference. Your experience gives me hope!

I hear lots of slipping. And we are in chicago, so lots of red lights where my tires slip. I am torn because i heard on this forum that wider tires dont make a difference. Your experience gives me hope!

I've definitely noticed more of it as the weather cooled down as well. Performance tires like it hot, so I doubt I'm getting the times I'm looking for until next year since there's no way to do a burnout :(

I've definitely noticed more of it as the weather cooled down as well. Performance tires like it hot, so I doubt I'm getting the times I'm looking for until next year since there's no way to do a burnout :(
You know what I am thinking, since we like to floor on red lights, we will definitely wear rear tires off before our 3 year lease ends. So we will definitely need to buy another pair. In that case, maybe get bigger rear winter tires now to enjoy the car in winter? What would you advice to get?

P.S. Just spoke with you Goodyear tire service and they suggest that we get Winter Pirelli 245/45R19 and don't go wider without changing rim because Tesla might say that wider ones mess up with suspension.

Last edited:
You know what I am thinking, since we like to floor on red lights, we will definitely wear rear tires off before our 3 year lease ends. So we will definitely need to buy another pair. In that case, maybe get bigger rear winter tires now to enjoy the car in winter? What would you advice to get?

P.S. Just spoke with you Goodyear tire service and they suggest that we get Winter Pirelli 245/45R19 and don't go wider without changing rim because Tesla might say that wider ones mess up with suspension.

Georgia resident here, we don't have winter tires. I'm not leasing, so just replace them as needed. I have the carbon fiber rims in 9.5/10.5. Actually got a flat today (some luck...) and getting 2 new rears. Going to talk to the tire shop tomorrow and see if we can test fit some 305s.

Really depends on the rim as well. If you have a rim that has a large lip and or 2/3 piece rims that have a large lip you can run some really wide rims and tires. With rims that have no lip and the face is similar to Tesla's rims it is difficult to fit anything very wide. You can use spacers and adapters to fix this and still keep a flush stance. There are cases where 10' front rims and 11' rear rims have fit without a spacer. Otherwise I know you can fit 9.5-10' rims with a spacer and run 255/21/30 or 255/22/25 on the fronts. And the rears can run 305/21/25 or 305/22/25 with no spacers all depending on what kind of rim you have and of course the offset.

If you have a slight rub on the front driver's side on your model S here's a quick easy fix. Strap the inner fender liner to the tube behind it. I got 1/4" more clearance and the rubbing stopped. I only rubbed when backing up and turning in the raised position - unfortunately a daily occurrence as I need that situation to get out of my driveway. The two clips on the liner pop out on the side, leave bottom alone, bend in the liner about two inches, measure the slots carefully, cut vertical with oscilatting cut off tool and thread zip tie as shown so you can tighten it.

IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 133