Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the FSD Re-write Include AP and Enhanced AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a high end software architect/manager. Of course they will fork.

"HW3 includes a custom Tesla-designed system on a chip. Tesla claimed that the new system would process 2,300 frames per second (fps), which is a 21x improvement in image processing compared to HW2.5, which is capable of 110 fps. The firm described it as a "neural network accelerator". Each chip is capable of 36 trillion operations per second, and there are two chips for redundancy. Tesla claims HW3 has 2.5× improved performance over HW2.5 with 1.25× higher power and 0.8× lower cost. HW3 features twelve ARM Cortex-A72 CPUs operating at 2.6 GHz, two Neural Network Accelerators operating at 2 GHz and a Mali GPU operating at 1 GHz."

EAP = PS3
FSD = PS4

(I didn't say PS5 because it's backwards compatible with PS4)

Despite being a high end software architect/manager you seem to have missed the point somewhat :).

The subject of this thread is not a hardware fork. Assume everyone is on HW3. The subject is the difference between FSD and EAP which is a merely a software difference and one that folks can upgrade between.

IMO the rewrite will impact them both. Non-FSD autosteer still uses most of the brain power and in exactly the same way. FSD subscribers will simply continue to have the additional features unlocked.

But Tesla have said for some time now that AP/EAP is "feature complete" which might imply that any and all new AP features/enhancements in V11 will be aimed at FSD owners only.

Feature complete does not preclude the rewrite though. It makes perfect sense for the rewrite to target HW3 only and by keeping all variants of AP/EAP/FSD of same hardware on the same codebase it makes the job easier for Tesla - features then become a configuration rather than different codebase which is why we see almost instant upgrades to EAP/FSD now.

For older hardware, we have also seen that, up to now, that have benefited from some of the newer features albeit in more limited capacity. Much of the version differentiation is done in the MCU, so a MCU 2 vehicle but with HW2.x may still benefit from some of the V11 enhancements even if seen as AP/EAP features - look at traffic cones etc, previously touted as a HW3 feature that made its way down the chain. I wonder what will happen with reverse summon? My guess is that, as 'summon' is a feature of EAP and EAP is supported on 2.x, then, if technically feasible (it was originally speculated that cones needed the power of HW3) it may well go the same way as smart summon and be supported on HW2.x vehicles, albeit with less competence.

I think the re-write applies to almost every car in the fleet (minus the HW1-2 cars ofc). There are plent of improvments that should be made even without FSD purchase.

With FSD purchase the sales pitch is simply allowing NoA on more roads that is currently availble.

I think EAP vs FSD will basically mean that EAP will contain (and might be added to or frozen) the existing featureset. While FSD will be expanding. They will both run the same core code, just not allow you to stop at lights and drive on city streets in NoA unless you pony up the cash.

For UK I recon getting EAP at 50% of FSD price is worth it as the remaider of FSD is all promises at this point. Stopping at lights is proably the only working feature difference. And in UK, unless it can pass parked cars on the streets and roundabouts, traffic lights are the least of the challanges. So you are pretty much restricted to motorways anyway.

On the other side of the coin, you are "locking in" the FSD price if you buy now. And at an extra 3.9k it's too small of a carrot. Elon mmight raise the price by another 1k next summer, and the if re-rwite is wildly successfull you can take the plunge before the price rise.

The subject of this thread is not a hardware fork. Assume everyone is on HW3. The subject is the difference between FSD and EAP which is a merely a software difference and one that folks can upgrade between.
Thank you all for your replies.
This is a good point and I should have been clearer in my question, I was basing my question on the UK Model 3 position, which is that we all (I think) have HW3 installed. Not very inclusive of me!
I'm very tempted by the EAP offer. I shouldn't be, there is no financial case for it, but I am. I just wouldn't want to go for it only to find it stays on the 'old' software basis and is left to wither on the vine. If, on the other hand, it gets a cropped version of the rewrite designed for HW3 that I have, and continues to develop along with FSD just as my current AP has, then I'm in!

Edited to add that for me, I find even the basic AP takes some of the strain out of motorway driving. I enjoy driving the car on normal roads anyway.

One complication for those contemplating using EAP as a stepping stone to FSD is that a later upgrade from EAP to FSD based upon current pricing makes a more expensive route - in US FSD = $8000, EAP = $4000, EAP to FSD = $5000 so going via EAP is a $1000 premium.

in US FSD = $8000, EAP = $4000, EAP to FSD = $5000 so going via EAP is a $1000 premium.

Kind of a confusing statement. I assume you mean the original EAP > FSD is +5k. Current EAP costs exactly 50% of the original FSD price.

My FSD upgrade is now £3900. I paid £3400 for EAP. So the FSD price goes up by 500 after EAP purchase.

Total FSD cost prior was £6800? I dont remeber

If I buy FSD before anny price increase I'd pay a total of £7300, £500? more than original price.

My current financial 'hopes' is that the £3400 i didnt pay will earn more than £500 in the time period I have it. I could be wrong of course. But that's the bet I'm making while having 95% of the current feature set.

I'd say the next part may be "worth it" in a year... I can probably make a ~10-20% return on 3.4k in a year (hopefully much more) which shoulld cover the difference. If it's not "worth it" I keep the money invested. Of course Elon could raise the price again... you never know.

To be honest, that 5k I didnt pay on purchase already made me more than double thanks to covid, so there is that. There is the 3% interest i didnt have to pay on 5k in June 2019 for starters....

If you have TACC off and its alerting, then that is how you have the other features set, its doing what you asked it to do. If that isn't right for you, try changing the options and reduce the sensitivity.
All of that behavior is configurable, its in the manual.

Thanks - I had a play around with the settings and have managed to reduce the amount of alerting from the car. I apologise, I should have RTFM!

• Funny
Reactions: Twiglett