Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the halfshaft issue be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost anyone that has the dynamic air suspension in the Model X and Model S is familiar with the issues of prematurely worn halfshafts in the front suspension (aka acceleration shudder). I've had the halfshafts on my Model X replaced three times (all under warranty) with the latest fix being keeping the suspension in low at all times. It's suspected that the angle of the joint at ride heights greater than that a low is contributing to the wear.
With the Cybertruck's reported adjustable suspension, I'm wondering a few things:
1) Is this going to be a completely redesigned suspension, free from the S/X issues?
2) If it's an iterative design from S/X, how will this issue be addressed?

Also, with such a great variance in ride height, is there a mechanism to reduce uneven tire wear when riding at the various heights for long periods?

Almost anyone that has the dynamic air suspension in the Model X and Model S is familiar with the issues of prematurely worn halfshafts in the front suspension (aka acceleration shudder). I've had the halfshafts on my Model X replaced three times (all under warranty) with the latest fix being keeping the suspension in low at all times. It's suspected that the angle of the joint at ride heights greater than that a low is contributing to the wear.
With the Cybertruck's reported adjustable suspension, I'm wondering a few things:
1) Is this going to be a completely redesigned suspension, free from the S/X issues?

Also, with such a great variance in ride height, is there a mechanism to reduce uneven tire wear when riding at the various heights for long periods?

Are you referring to AWD models S/X? my 2012 RWD S has no such shudder/shaft problems - so I'm assuming this is an AWD issue?

Reactions: Dzsink and Dcam
Are you referring to AWD models S/X? my 2012 RWD S has no such shudder/shaft problems - so I'm assuming this is an AWD issue?

It's probably a combination of the linkages required for adjustable suspension with the torque output from the front motor. Here's a link to the 44 page thread in the Model X forum. Users are starting to report it on Raven models as well. I've had my halfshafts replaced a few times and during the latest repair, techs suggested that I keep the suspension in low to mitigate the issue.

If Tesla gets the front end of the Cybertruck geometry correct, and it has no front end / ball joint / CV joint / half-shaft issues, then they have done something that Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge/Ram hasn't been able to do.

Of all the trucks I've owned, only the 2wd versions have over 80k without a front end repair or rebuild.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Question, and forgive my ignorance, but would a quad motor correct this half shaft problem?
I understand it to be an articulation issue. If that is the case, no, number of drive motors would not affect this issue.

Unless perhaps they put the motors themselves on gimbals so the half shafts did not articulate at all. I have no idea if this is possible or feasible. :)

Fixed
125785415.jpg

There is no fix for the shudder on Raven X and S yet so I’m guessing we’ll see the same problem on the early Cybertrucks at the very least.

The SC has refused to replace my half shafts on my 2019 X saying that a fix is coming.

I have a Tri-Motor CT order in. If this problem isn’t fixed for my X before the CT arrives, I’ll probably cancel my CT and go with a Rivian or Hummer EV (and swap my X for a Lyriq). The Electrify America network is coming along nicely and now that they’ve dropped free supercharging from the S and X models, the other brands look more compelling

Reactions: Dcam and coleAK
This has to do with how long the shaft is, in that the angle of the power take off is more if the shaft is shorter for a given ride height adjustment (travel).

A centered power source with max length shafts helps in lieu of material science advances. Half shaft manufacturers state acceptable operating angles.

I just had a replacement of my halfshafts on my 2020 model S raven but I still feel a vibration when I accelerate. According to Tesla this is normal. More people who had a replacement and still feel the vibration?

Reactions: Dcam