Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the hi amp charger be available for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I noticed that the model S75 will not be available with the hi amp charger any longer.

What does this mean for the model 3? Will the base 48 amp be the only charger available?

I realize that the 72 is only 50% more than the 48, but I don't think anyone would enjoy extra time (hours) at a level 2.

It would really suck for me if they don't have it as an option. I live in a province that only has level 2 charging, currently no supercharger for 700 kilometers around me.

yes I read your post.

L2 charging is too slow for a large battery to charge on a road trip while you wait, even with a high speed charger.

700 KM? You're going to have to hope that Tesla fulfills it's promise of doubling supercharger locations before you get your Model 3, otherwise you're on a EV island.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Today I noticed that the model S75 will not be available with the hi amp charger any longer.

What does this mean for the model 3? Will the base 48 amp be the only charger available?

I realize that the 72 is only 50% more than the 48, but I don't think anyone would enjoy extra time (hours) at a level 2.

It would really suck for me if they don't have it as an option. I live in a province that only has level 2 charging, currently no supercharger for 700 kilometers around me.

They might make it optional (possibly only on the bigger pack), but let's take a step back here for a moment.

Are you planning on making frequent, time-constrained stops at Level 2 charging stations that can deliver over 12 kW?
Do you plan to drive 200+ miles a day with a need to quickly recharge sometime in the middle?
Are you planning on installing a Wall Connector at home that is set to deliver over 40 amps, out of necessity?

If you answered "no" to all three of those questions, then upgrading to a 72-amp charger will likely not have a significant impact on your charging routine, in practice.

Even in the road-trip scenario, I would imagine that regions that are not currently covered by Superchargers are not likely to have Level 2 charging that deliver more than 12 kW. In general, most public L2 stations top out at 6-7 kW, which is in-line with the fact that most EVs on the market today have on-board chargers in that same range.

Is there another use-case that you're thinking of? If so, can you elaborate?

...an option...

I am with you.

When Model X were about to be released, there were rumors of suppression of higher charging speed option which sparked an outcry.

Tesla responded at that time by creating a cryptic way for those who know how to order the option.

I understand that reducing options is good for streamlining process but I don't agree with that when it's at the expense of charging speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
...Is there another use-case that you're thinking of?

I want faster speed of home charging because:

1) I can charge quickly within the limitation of cheapest Time of Use electrical rate.
2) I don't need to wait twice as long at home if I need to turn over my car as soon as possible for another trip.
3) Professor Jeff Dahn of of Dalhousie University who is partnered with Tesla advocates that you need to beat the clock, beat these time-dependent parasitic reactions.

Are you planning on making frequent, time-constrained stops at Level 2 charging stations that can deliver over 12 kW?
Do you plan to drive 200+ miles a day with a need to quickly recharge sometime in the middle?
Are you planning on installing a Wall Connector at home that is set to deliver over 40 amps, out of necessity?

Yes to all three questions.

I plan on using this car to drive to Vancouver from central Canada several times a year. For the first 700 km or so of that journey, all I got is 70-90A level 2 chargers until I get to Calgary which has a supercharger.

I definitely don't drive 200 miles on a regular day, usually only 20 miles like most others.

However, sometimes I have to leave home on somewhat shorter notice, so I plan on doing the HPWC at home with 90 amps.

Reactions: GSP and strykeroz

I'm a model 3 res. holder and I live in Saskatchewan too (I assume that's where you live). I'm also curious about how to get out of the Province as fast as possible when going on a road trip. We live in a massive dead zone but hopefully at changes someday.... I fee like once you hit Calgary it's smooth sailing... :)

I'm a model 3 res. holder and I live in Saskatchewan too (I assume that's where you live). I'm also curious about how to get out of the Province as fast as possible when going on a road trip. We live in a massive dead zone but hopefully at changes someday.... I fee like once you hit Calgary it's smooth sailing... :)
Yup everything will be A-ok once we can hit Calgary. Elon did mention around Christmas time that there was a plan to get a supercharger in swift current, but who knows when.

Until then I'm gonna save my pennies for the 3-75D and cross my fingers to make it to medicine hat from Regina. With a quick level 2 charge or two along the way

yes I read your post.

L2 charging is too slow for a large battery to charge on a road trip while you wait, even with a high speed charger.

700 KM? You're going to have to hope that Tesla fulfills it's promise of doubling supercharger locations before you get your Model 3, otherwise you're on a EV island.
Tesla has shown NO interest in expanding the huge black hole of Supercharger coverage in Saskatchewan. Their 2017 map shows them building ONE in Winnipeg. This still leaves a huge black hole between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, and Winnipeg to Regina.

My pet hypothesis is Elon Musk spent a summer working at his cousin's farm outside of Swift Current, SK, and he hated it.

Tesla also has shown no interesting in building out the network in the Maritimes.

Tesla treats Canada with scarcely concealed contempt.

I may be just be bitter, but Canada is probably the worst country in the industrialized world when it comes to EV infrastructure. Nobody private or public has shown any interest in building out the fast charging infrastructure in the areas where there aren't any already. We're to beholden to big oil to upset them by making EVs easy to buy and drive.

Last edited:
  • Helpful