Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the ludicrous upgrade improve P85D performance by only 0.2 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, the retrofit page is inconsistent. It says 10% more power yet promises less performance.

Perhaps both are true if you deliver 10% more horsepower but only for a very short period of time and restrict it especially at higher speeds. If we got 10% more from 50 MPH to 90 MPH but it was quite restricted at higher speeds, this would not be an issue for me as I don't drive those speeds. It would just be nice if they would clarify where and how the performance differs.

If the peak power is there, but there is some limitation otherwise, it's going to be time/heat related. Therefore I expect short passing bursts to be ok.

Since the retrofit was first announced there have been persistent claims (though I'm not sure of any official statement ever) that a P85DL would make 2.9s 0-60 instead of the 2.8s that a P90DL does it, and that the difference is due to the new cells in the 90kWh pack having a lower internal resistance which leads to less voltage drop at high loads.

So this statement that the 0-60 times are not identical is not a surprise at all to me (though I am sure it is a surprise to some; usual crappy comms etc).

The 1/4 mile thing must surely be a typo though.

As I recall, they said the 0-60 time would be in the 2.8-2.9s range with Ludicrous mode added and a 20% increase in the 60mph+ range. Now they say only a 10% increase in the upper speed range if I read that right? For nearly $8k (inc tax) this really isn't much of an improvement for us P85D owners surely? Fortunately I haven't yet put down the deposit. On Monday I'm going to see how a friends new P90DL performs before laying out any cash. Obviously it will be a be faster than my P85D but I hope to see if that 60mph+ performance would actually be worth it.

this is NOT good, you can't take a $500 deposit, then add that disclaimer text.... BTW, the P90D currently only drops the 1/4 mile time by .3..... the P90D doesn't run 10's in the 1/4 mile in it's current form/software...

this is NOT good, you can't take a $500 deposit, then add that disclaimer text.... BTW, the P90D currently only drops the 1/4 mile time by .3..... the P90D doesn't run 10's in the 1/4 mile in it's current form/software...

Were you able to gather some P90D logger data? Definitely curious to see the times and power curves.

I totally agree. I placed my deposit the day after they first offered it (9/26 I think) and they weren't hedging then. If Ludicrous takes only .2 off of both 0-60 and the 1/4, then there is no improvement from 60 to whatever, which is astonishing. I'm annoyed enough to cancel, but I don't see a benefit in doing so right now. I will wait for more clarification or better yet, reports from the first people who have the upgrade done.

I can't justify $7,500 plus tax for it now ($7950).... hopefully someone else will and test it accordingly like I would....

they really shouldn't call it a Ludicrous upgrade either, maybe Insane +...

this "non ludicrous" upgrade should be free as it was stated back in April...

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

I have tested every release, and there has not been an increase in highway performance, except for top speed, which BTW is questionable, as my car usually limits to 134 MPH, the conditions for the 155MPH must be pretty strict.

I totally agree. I placed my deposit the day after they first offered it (9/26 I think) and they weren't hedging then. If Ludicrous takes only .2 off of both 0-60 and the 1/4, then there is no improvement from 60 to whatever, which is astonishing. I'm annoyed enough to cancel, but I don't see a benefit in doing so right now. I will wait for more clarification or better yet, reports from the first people who have the upgrade done.

Actually, I think they can take a non-refundable deposit and clarify specs later. It is known that the 85 will not perform to the level of the 90; we simply did not, and still do not, know exactly what the difference will be. We definitely need a ginny pig here.

Actually, I think they can take a non-refundable deposit and clarify specs later. It is known that the 85 will not perform to the level of the 90; we simply did not, and still do not, know exactly what the difference will be. We definitely need a ginny pig here.
I'll likely do it regardless and I'm near the Fremont plant. I *should* be #15 on the wait list and I put my deposit down almost immediately. We'll see what happens. We're now in Q4, which is when Tesla said the installs would begin. However, when I was at the Fremont service station yesterday they told me they still don't have all the parts and tools they need. So that means we'll likely have more time for Tesla to "clarify" the nuances of the Ludicrous upgrade

Actually, the spec for the P85D with Ludicrous only has been up on their site since before the retrofit page went up and it still says 0-60 of 2.8 seconds for the P85D with Ludicrous only.

Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 8.36.20 AM.png

Actually, the spec for the P85D with Ludicrous only has been up on their site since before the retrofit page went up and it still says 0-60 of 2.8 seconds for the P85D with Ludicrous only.

View attachment 96415
But it isnt possible to actually order a new P85D with ludicrous is it!?

Ithink Tesla has just forgotten to relabel it to P90D... At least in the norwegian version it says P85D even with the range option and ludicrous chosen...

No but this doesn't say anything about ordering new. It's just a published spec for the P85D with Ludicrous. The 10.9 spec below requires both Ludicrous and Range. The 2.8 seconds only requires Ludicrous and not range. i.e. not the 90 KWH battery.
Yes, but does it make any sense to list those numbers in the design studio?

Might need to let my tinfoil hat have a rest for the weekend, but my gutfeeling is that his is just another misprint on the website that noone bothers to correct and it ends up misleading people again.

Yes, but does it make any sense to list those numbers in the design studio?

Might need to let my tinfoil hat have a rest for the weekend, but my gutfeeling is that his is just another misprint on the website that noone bothers to correct and it ends up misleading people again.

That's on the product information page outside the design studio:

Model S | Tesla Motors