Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Mercedes EQS Electric Flagship Steal Tesla’s Driving Range Crown?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article: “Nevertheless, we anticipate the EQS to top 300 miles of driving range when it eventually reaches our shores.”. So I guess the answer is no.

Also at approx. $100K cost it isn’t going to affect Tesla much.

Reactions: DanCar
The simple answer is "NO".

We need to see the EPA range of this future product. The claimed 435 mile WLTP range is about 15% more optimistic than EPA, and also more vulnerable to the manufacturer tuning the car to get the range.

After experience with the wildly optimistic pre-release range estimates from Audi and Porsche, we also don't know if that's a real number or an "aspirational marketing" number.

Good luck to Mercedes, but we need to know the EPA range for comparison. Back out the 15%, you are now at under 380 miles for forecast range of this future vehicle, which is less than what the longest range Tesla Model S now capable of achieving TODAY.

Range of announced vehicles: Much better than Tesla!
Range of shipped vehicles: Almost as good as Tesla!
Range of delivered vehicles: I should have bought a Tesla.
That's well-said. We always have to wait and see what really turns up.
How many times have we seen announcements that failed to bear fruit?
(mind you, Tesla occasionally disappoints in that respect as well....)

Reactions: CyberGus
Another desperate ICE maker hyping non-existent cars and features to attempt to further their own interests and discredit Tesla. Good luck with that - ICE is so far behind and not able to execute the transition to EV let alone being able to even dream about competing with Tesla.

Last edited:
This German reviewer claims it is the best EV at the moment. Very effeicient at about 15 KwH on the German Autobahn and a high charging speed. He did easily the stretch between Munich and Berlin, which is more than 600 KM in one go without need to go slow, turn off A/C etc. it is in German however..

Reactions: daktari
A bit noteworthy is the fact, that the motors are not developed by mercedes themselves, but by "Valeo Siemens" under the code name "DAI_EQ_platform".

The battery technology is supplied by CATL and Farasis. (The latter currently has severe delivery problems.)

So while the achievement made by Mercedes is certainly impressive, it remains to be seen if they can scale that beyond the usual pitfalls with large supply chains.

Sources:

This German reviewer claims it is the best EV at the moment. Very effeicient at about 15 KwH on the German Autobahn and a high charging speed. He did easily the stretch between Munich and Berlin, which is more than 600 KM in one go without need to go slow, turn off A/C etc. it is in German however..

Test was done by the biggest German car magazine. Drove 648 km with 48 km range to spare at average speed 104 km/h. They claim max speeds up to 130 km/h in that test, so pretty fast and low average consumption of 150 Wh/km. That is below Model 3 even.
Also claims very low noise and high comfort levels, making this the best EV so far.
Very exciting, really interested in the price that should be out really soon.

More details: tester not happy with the touch buttons on the steering wheel. (At least it has not a yoke).

The nav is slow to compute, not so easy to operate as Tesla, but more options to add waypoints and choosing between charging stops.

He is extremely happy with driving comfort and noise.

Charging speed is really something, 200 kW from 6-30%, still above 100 kW at 80%. 300+ km in 15 minutes.
Tester think this one will beat the Plaid and upgraded S for range, but excpects Musk will come back again with the Plaid+ to fight Mercedes.
eqs2.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
It's not very pretty but from the side it looks super-aerodynamic.
Ugly wheels and high-profile tyres?
Anyone know a Cd?
The range and charging data look impressive
They managed to get it down to a flat .2

I'm very interested to find out how quiet this sucker is. I remember watching one of the development videos where they were working on dampening the motors themselves. Mercedes has always been pretty great at insulating the cabin, so if they manage to quiet pretty much the only thing on the car that's gonna make a significant amount of noise I bet its awfully impressive.

They managed to get it down to a flat .2

I'm very interested to find out how quiet this sucker is. I remember watching one of the development videos where they were working on dampening the motors themselves. Mercedes has always been pretty great at insulating the cabin, so if they manage to quiet pretty much the only thing on the car that's gonna make a significant amount of noise I bet its awfully impressive.
In the Tesla, the motors are certainly very audible sometimes, but at any speed I find the tyre noise well and truly drowns them out!

It's not very pretty but from the side it looks super-aerodynamic.
Ugly wheels and high-profile tyres?
Anyone know a Cd?
The range and charging data look impressive
Probably a ton of options on paint (including a retro 2-tone), wheels, interior etc. as Mercedes always do. The car on test looked basic. AMG prototype being tested also.

EQS does exist.

My post was from nearly a year ago when MB was introducing the concept car and predicted production deliveries starting in later 2021. So, fast forward nearly a year and yes, it does exist now. I am all for new EVs that kill ICE - I think EQS will do just that, but mostly replacing E and S Class sales. Price is high, features are blah, and the range estimates are in ECO mode with a max speed of 70mph and other restrictions. I hope MB succeeds with EQS, but it still does not compete with Tesla, IMO. How many will they build per year? MB does not seem to be all in on EVs (yet).

Reactions: Cosmacelf