TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the Mod3 PXXD be quicker than the S?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by wallet.dat, Apr 18, 2016.

1. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Just eyeballing the cut-away images from the Mod3 reveal event, it looks like they're using the smaller front motor out of the Model S (indeed, as Elon had mentioned multiple times prior). So just throwing some numbers around in my head, if this smaller motor is the next iteration of the Model S's front drive unit, do you think that the Mod3 PXXD would be able to approach the S P90D's performance? On the Mod3 platform that'd be somewhere around 480hp combined, assuming equivalent power output as the front S motor. I'm was hoping for low-mid 11's right out the box, but given the known specs of the front S motor and extrapolating them out to the Mod3 platform, I'm having some doubts.

2. geoffreak

geoffreak Model 3 Reservation Holder

My understanding is that the performance of Tesla cars is limited by the amount of power the batteries can output. The bigger the battery, the more power can be output. Unless there is a large change in chemistry or a ≥90kWh battery available on the 3, I don't see it coming too close in performance.

• Like x 2
  3. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

That is rigth but you forget that the 3 is much lighter than the S.
    So you need less energy to accelarate the same as the S.
    The only difference is that your own weight has more influence on the performance.
    So with 5 people in your car the S will perform better then the 3.
    I think it will be almost equal for the 3 and the S.
    I think the top model 3 will accelerate under the 3 seconds to the 100km/h just like the S.

its not about the horsepower but the combination of power and weight.

• Like x 5
  4. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

0-60 performance is a factor of power and weight. Just because the Model S has a bigger battery, and can therefore output more power, does not mean a lighter car with less power can't out perform it.

Will the Model 3 be appreciably lighter when including size reduction, and new cells/pack? I don't know.

5. geoffreak

geoffreak Model 3 Reservation Holder

#5 geoffreak, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Sure the Model 3 will be lighter. How much lighter? We're not sure at the moment. I'm not convinced that's going to make a huge difference because Tesla will probably opt for smaller, (slightly) lower powered motors to reduce costs. So all things being equal, the 3 would out-perform the S, but things probably won't be equal. Speculation, I know.

• Informative x 1
  6. doublejj

doublejj Member

How soon till some tuner stuffs MS motors & batteries into a M3?.....

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Honestly, this is just the latest is an ever-growing list of questions we don't have answers to. Since we don't have much to go off, I'm going to assume it won't be just so I'm not disappointed.

8. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

Power controllers are expensive, motors are expensive, batteries are expensive.

These will all be cost reduced (less powerful) along with the lower weight.

I expect the TM3 will be slower than than TMS.

9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

No it's not. The M3 is mostly steel and the MS is aluminum. I suspect, at best, the M3 will weigh the same.

• Like x 1
  10. tezzla

tezzla Member

#10 tezzla, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    I'd guess that it could be faster, but they'll limit it to 3.9 secs for 0-60 (and let the Model S & X continue to be top dogs)

edit: to be clear, i'm guessing that the performance version will have this speed, not the base model.

• Like x 1
  11. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

3.9 secs still gets it faster than 99% of ICE cars.

• Like x 1
  12. doublejj

doublejj Member

Damn 1%'rs!...:mad:

• Funny x 5
  13. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I had not heard where it was "mostly" steel. I had heard steel was used where it made sense, and could lower cost. I'm not trying to imply that the M3 will weigh considerably less, but I'm also not sure it's accurate to assume that because the M3 uses more steel than the MS, that it would likely be a similar weight. They are also trying to go for efficiency, after all.

14. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Interesting question. From the cutaway renderings it appears as if there's enough room for the S's rear drive unit, but who knows for sure yet. Wouldn't it be awesome if Tesla had a "secret menu" like In-N-Out Burger where you could order a Mod3 with the rear drive unit from the S? ;)

15. doublejj

doublejj Member

"Animal Style"....."Murdered Out"

• Funny x 1
  16. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

OK. Just speculation on my part. Even if the 3 could be quicker than the S, I submit to you that Tesla will software limit so that it's slower. That way they won't cannibalize sales of the higher end product to the lower end product, lower profits, etc.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  17. doublejj

doublejj Member

I doubt Elon's ego would allow that. It will go as fast as it can

• Like x 7
  18. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Is an M5 faster than a BMW M3? Yep. Gotta agree with S'toon.

• Like x 1
  19. Chrisuk83

Chrisuk83 Member

As counter intuitive as this sounds. A lighter car does not always make a quicker car. To be honest I always thought that to be the case. But I remember reading about the Nissan Gtr, if it was much lighter the 0-60 would suffer. I think it's due to the initial traction needed to shift the gtr so fast off the line, same probably goes with the model s and eventually maybe the model 3. If anybody else has seen the quote please chime in

20. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Just my speculation, but I doubt Telsla's going to show all their cards at once. Even if they could get it sub 3.0 seconds 0-60, they may decide to make it go fast enough say 0-60 3.6s. Some 18 months later we will see improvements and the need to upgrade to 3.2 and then sub-3. But the limit would be how much power the battery can deliver.

• Like x 1