Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the "Model 2" have a steering wheel and pedals?

Will the "Model 2" have a steering wheel and pedals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which consist of cameras and outputs to lights steering accelerator and brakes. Not exactly insurmountable….

No, not insurmountable, but the market for Tesla software in non-Tesla cars would be miniscule. If Tesla quit making cars it would go from being worth 700+ billion dollars to being worth about five thousand dollars. From a major part of the U.S. company, to a tiny niche developer selling to backyard DIY car converters.

Nope. Companies routinely develop software and then sell it to automobile manufactures.

Totally different types of software. FSD software is inextricably linked to the hardware it runs on. And even if Tesla could convince another car maker to buy its software, the overwhelming majority of cars running it would still be Tesla's own.

Note please, that Tesla has the best generalized L2 consumer driving aid package in the world, and not one single car maker has shown the slightest interest in leasing it.

Tesla won't stop making cars, and it won't stop selling cars to the public. And if it ever succeeds in developing true FSD, it will sell that to the buyers of its cars, unless it just includes it as a standard feature and prices the cars accordingly.

so is any software. The liscensee just puts that hardware in his car. Most of the hardware the fad suite uses off the shelf stuff. You act like this is some insolvable problem. It’s not. It’s already been solved.
Please, point me to where I can buy a new current generation FSD computer board 'off-the-shelf'. Point me to were I can even source the ASICs they are using.

Please, point me to where I can buy a new current generation FSD computer board 'off-the-shelf'. Point me to were I can even source the ASICs they are using.
I’m talking the cameras and sensors. But there is nothing particularly special about the computer and the software liscense could simply allow the manufacturers to build the PCB….

so is any software. The liscensee just puts that hardware in his car. Most of the hardware the fad suite uses off the shelf stuff. You act like this is some insolvable problem. It’s not. It’s already been solved.

It's not a technological problem. It's market reality: No other car maker wants Tesla software. No other car maker is going to buy Tesla software. And even if they did, Tesla is a car company, for crying out loud! Tesla is committed to electrifying ground transportation. You're saying, based on a few tweets from a notorious tweet-liar, that Tesla is going to do a complete 180, and quit making cars, which is the one thing it knows how to do better than anybody, and give up its massive market lead in BEVs, to become a niche software company! That it's going to give up the income it gets from being the market leader and rely on convincing other car makers to buy its software, which at any time could fall out of favor and leave it with nothing!

There is no technological reason that Tesla could not partner with another car maker to license its software, and quit making cars itself. But it would be the stupidest business decision in the history of business, assuming any other car maker was interested, which they are not, and for everything else he is, Musk is not stupid.

The market is not going to suddenly become bizarro world where giving up an undisputed leadership in car manufacturing in favor of becoming a niche software company is somehow a good idea.

I'm not so sure, I think Elon is becoming out of touch with reality. The stalkless yoke which literally offers zero advantages and is less functional and less safe is going to damage the brand significantly. Then when you consider the insanity of suggesting that the model 2 come without wheel or pedals are two points that call out serious, serious problems with his leadership. It wouldn't surprise me if he tries to do other outlandish, dumb things.

I'm not so sure, I think Elon is becoming out of touch with reality. The stalkless yoke which literally offers zero advantages and is less functional and less safe is going to damage the brand significantly. Then when you consider the insanity of suggesting that the model 2 come without wheel or pedals are two points that call out serious, serious problems with his leadership. It wouldn't surprise me if he tries to do other outlandish, dumb things.
Elon did a truly amazing thing getting Tesla to both survive and to be a serious auto manufacturer. I don't think Tesla would have made it to where it is today without him. Probably would have never survived at all in fact. He deserves tones of praise for that.

However, he has done nothing but damage the brand for at least the last year and a half with bad decision after bad decision and dumb statements. Elon today is not the same person as Elon even 5 years ago, the same way that Tesla not is not the same company as it was 5 or 10 years ago. It would probably be best for everybody involved if he steps away soon, perhaps just remaining a board member and engineering consultant (but keep him the hell away from design decisions). I would much rather he just be able to do SpaceX full time, and I think he would prefer that as well.

Last edited:
There is no way a Tesla without a steering wheel would be legal anywhere.
Supposedly the Cruise Origin is going into production in 2023 and will be legal in California. As long as they finish the software it will be legal in many States. Of course bringing the Model 2 to production before FSD is finished seems a little crazy!

1631573792441.png

1631573654254.png

It has to have a steering input (wheel or yoke) and pedals, obviously. If not it would be a slap in the face to a huge potential market of people who cannot easily afford a Model 3 SR+. It would be an enormous missed opportunity.

Plus, even with steering and pedals they could still sell the FSD subscription which will be much better by then.

I just hope they improve those dopey turn signals. Seems like real buttons on the back of the yoke would be better, but not too sensitive that you can't comfortably relax your hands.

I bought it in spite of the software frankly, and the last 10 months of software updates have really made me like the brand a lot less. I am sure some people buy the cars for the software, but don't assume for a second that all (or even most do). I bought it because it is an awesome car to drive that also fits our households needs very well. All the (few) things I dislike about the car are software/UI related.
Little off topic, but can I ask what specifically you're unhappy with?

Not going to bash on your opinion, just genuinely curious.