Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model 3 be Standard with Front / Rear / All Wheel Drive?

Will the Model 3 be introduced as FWD, RWD or AWD standard in base configuration?

• Front Wheel Drive (FWD)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)

Votes: 120 81.1%
  • All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an upper middle class neighborhood where new BMWs are more the norm than the exception. Most are parked for the winter despite having ABS and traction control. With even more torque, I would think it a mistake to go with RWD. Myself, the only RWD car I drive is a classic VW.

There have been many threads from existing owners discussing their experiences with FWD and RWD and the consistent theme is that Tesla's RWD equaled or in many cases exceeded the ICE FWD cars they have owned.
The results of the poll are pretty compelling don't you think?

There have been many threads from existing owners discussing their experiences with FWD and RWD and the consistent theme is that Tesla's RWD equaled or in many cases exceeded the ICE FWD cars they have owned.
The results of the poll are pretty compelling don't you think?

Kool-Aid is a potent elixir. I will let you know at the reveal what the true answer is.

I think with FWD standard, most performance folks will get the AWD option. But if RWD is standard, many will not go for the AWD. Tesla makes more money with the FWD standard option.

I know everyone wants it to be RWD, but if Tesla is smart, they should go with the option that will force more upgrades.

I know everyone wants it to be RWD, but if Tesla is smart, they should go with the option that will force more upgrades.

So, by that logic, if Tesla is smart, the base Model 3 should come standard with:

Roll-up windows
15" steel wheels with hub caps
No floor mats
AM only radio
Etc, etc...

You know, to force more upgrades so they can make more money.

There IS one thing FWD has going for it that is totally unrelated to where the engine is or weight distribution.

It is more efficient to pull a car than to push it. Look at a horse-drawn carriage. Do you put the carriage or wagon in front? No. Is it easier to push a wagon or pull it? Pulling it. (We measured this stuff in a high-school physics class)

Why? Because, when you are pushing from behind, you are also fighting the friction of the front wheels trying to dig into the ground. In FWD, the drag from the rear wheels is a LOT less than the drag of the front wheels on a RWD car.

So, by that logic, if Tesla is smart, the base Model 3 should come standard with:

Roll-up windows
15" steel wheels with hub caps
No floor mats
AM only radio
Etc, etc...

You know, to force more upgrades so they can make more money.

The Bolt, which costs more at base price, will probably have steel wheels and no floor mats. To expect Tesla to ignore the basic economics of what is expected for a $27.5K car makes no sense. I know we all want a Model S for a Chevy econobox price, but it is not going to happen.

The profit margin is in competing for BMW/Mercedes type of customers. I think most of them appreciate the driving dynamics of RWD. Suspect tesla will be RWD with AWD option like model s.

If they do an econobox in the future, FWD may make sense for those that need to get around in poor conditions at times. These customers generally don't have extra cars to drive in bad weather nor are they likely to swap snow tires twice a year. (which is a PITA & expensive)

We currently have RWD(no snow tires) , AWD, & FWD cars . The rear drive is the one we will not drive in snow despite traction control - because it sucks. All the others are fine.

The Bolt, which costs more at base price, will probably have steel wheels and no floor mats. To expect Tesla to ignore the basic economics of what is expected for a $27.5K car makes no sense. I know we all want a Model S for a Chevy econobox price, but it is not going to happen.

The Volt is alum rims, and the stock mats are thin.

fwd-sucks-300x150.jpg

Turning and driving with only one set of wheels does not make sense. Does your bicycle power the front wheels? Nope.

The M3 will have four wheels, use them all. Either two steer, two power, or two steer and four power.

It is not a $27.5K car. Stop getting caught up in the shell game mathematics.

The vast majority of Model 3's will be delivered well after the Tax Credits expire.

And even if you DO get one w/Tax Credit, you don't get the money back until tax season. You're still going to have to fork over full price at sale time.

And stop using words like econobox.

This is still going to be a Tesla. I've noticed that people who have listed their current Teslas in their signature line love to make the Model 3 sound like it's going to be a cheap POS. Is it because you don't want to have "commoners" associated with "your" brand? The smug level on this board is enough to make me not want to associate with fellow Tesla drivers when my 3 is delivered.

I'll be able to spot the type though, they always have the smug license plates.

This is still going to be a Tesla. I've noticed that people who have listed their current Teslas in their signature line love to make the Model 3 sound like it's going to be a cheap POS. Is it because you don't want to have "commoners" associated with "your" brand? The smug level on this board is enough to make me not want to associate with fellow Tesla drivers when my 3 is delivered.

I'll be able to spot the type though, they always have the smug license plates.

Dude, R-E-L-A-X! I think this is the second time I've seen you take a post on here (relatively) personal this week! I've lurked on this board for quite sometime before becoming a member and I think its safe to say that there's a pretty diverse demographic on this board, especially now that the Model 3 unveil date has been announced. Yes, there are a lot of Model S owners and enthusiasts who are looking at the Model 3 just because they want a smaller version of their S. There are just as many who are new to Tesla and are awaiting the Model 3 release to be able to have a Tesla of their own (myself included).

EM has already stated that he expects the Model 3 to compete with the BMW 3-series, and has already given the starting price, so I wouldn't put too much stock into people calling it an econobox or trying to make it sound "cheaper". The goal has been to produce a "compelling" EV at that price, and based on that I'm going to believe that the Model 3 will be compelling until I see otherwise. The Model 3 will be the most owned Tesla vehicle in a few years, so I wouldn't let the perceived smugness of a few users affect me being able to enjoy being a part of the growing Telsa community.

If someone is being smug enough on this board for it to upset you, just ignore them! I'm confident there are plenty of other users on this board and future users that you will enjoy interacting with!

If there is a 4wd option, the base level is mute to many. If it only comes with one engine I want it in the back. If it's fwd I'll be deeply disappointed. RWD is a vastly better driving experience than fwd.

I don't agree that fwd is "better in snow". My TDI needed snow tires. On my Smart I've only put snows on the rear, thing can plow snow. Much more fun than my TDI to drive.

Dude, R-E-L-A-X! I think this is the second time I've seen you take a post on here (relatively) personal this week! I've lurked on this board for quite sometime before becoming a member and I think its safe to say that there's a pretty diverse demographic on this board, especially now that the Model 3 unveil date has been announced. Yes, there are a lot of Model S owners and enthusiasts who are looking at the Model 3 just because they want a smaller version of their S. There are just as many who are new to Tesla and are awaiting the Model 3 release to be able to have a Tesla of their own (myself included).

EM has already stated that he expects the Model 3 to compete with the BMW 3-series, and has already given the starting price, so I wouldn't put too much stock into people calling it an econobox or trying to make it sound "cheaper". The goal has been to produce a "compelling" EV at that price, and based on that I'm going to believe that the Model 3 will be compelling until I see otherwise. The Model 3 will be the most owned Tesla vehicle in a few years, so I wouldn't let the perceived smugness of a few users affect me being able to enjoy being a part of the growing Telsa community.

If someone is being smug enough on this board for it to upset you, just ignore them! I'm confident there are plenty of other users on this board and future users that you will enjoy interacting with!

the smugness isn't perceived, it's there.

unless these people are secret "plants" sent here by EM to toss around absurdities to gauge our reaction, no one KNOWS any of this.

But just as i think there are a few smug people on here, and i've run with that notion, there are others that are stuck on the post-tax credit price, and are treating that number as the sticker price...or the notion that this is an entry level vehicle, conveniently leaving out the word luxury.

Every automaker has a "floor" to their lineup. Some makers' "floor" starts a little higher. I'd much rather have an entry Audi or Benz compared to an entry GM.

The Model 3 is not, will not be, and will not compete against econoboxes. saying that it is most similar to a Leaf or a Bolt because of their drivetrain is like saying that a CLA, an A3, and a Ford Focus are essentially the same car because they all come with 2.0L w/turbos.

think before you type.

If there is a 4wd option, the base level is mute to many. If it only comes with one engine I want it in the back. If it's fwd I'll be deeply disappointed. RWD is a vastly better driving experience than fwd.

I don't agree that fwd is "better in snow". My TDI needed snow tires. On my Smart I've only put snows on the rear, thing can plow snow. Much more fun than my TDI to drive.

All cars need snow tires. AWD with snow tires is the best in snow.

FWD is only "better" than RWD in snow because the engine weight upfront pushes down the front tires, giving better traction.

However, your TDI's engine is most likely transversely located in the engine bay 0[]--0 vs 0-[]-0 and therefore it unevenly distributes weight. One tire is pushed down, while the other isn't, so the car will waddle up front due to being uneven. Inline and Flat (Subaru/Porsche) allow for an even distribution of weight over both wheels under the engine.

Front Engine, RWD cars have light rear ends, which is why people put sand bags in the trunk to help push down the rear tires for more traction. Porsche has a Rear Engine, RWD set up to place more weight over the rear tires that power their cars. RWD is by far more "fun" in the snow than FWD as you can get the light rear to slide easier, assuming you get enough traction to drive out of your parking space.

Off Topic, for your RWD Smart Car, you should change all four tires to snows. Cars primarily stop via the front brakes and braking distance is directly related to tires. Snow tire braking distance is much shorter than other tires on snow/slush.

For an AWD car it is required to change all four as the difference in size (even if same #/#/#, the wear on the tire) because the difference will cause the center differential to compensate for the different speed of the front/rear axles and you will wear-out or eventually destroy the differential.

Last edited:
It is not a $27.5K car. Stop getting caught up in the shell game mathematics.

On your first point, Bolt specifies their price after tax breaks as $30K as does Tesla on their web site in the configuration tool. Tesla further puts in a gas savings in their pricing. The Model 3 is stated as $35K before tax breaks. There are two ways to state Apples-to-Apples, either the Bolt is $37.5K and the Model 3 is $35K. Or, to say the Bolt is $30K and the Model 3 is $27.5K.

If your second point is directed at me, I drive a Nissan Leaf and old VWs. My wife has a Model S with a Model X arriving any day. Expect one or two of our Teslas to be for sale once she decides what she wants to drive. Don't tell her, but I hate driving the Model S and expect the Model X will be worse with its falcons. I enjoy econoboxes.

It seems most here would love to drive a Model S and are hopeful that the Model 3 is just like it, but I want an econobox. I expect the Bolt will be added to my side of the garage soon.

On your first point, Bolt specifies their price after tax breaks as $30K as does Tesla on their web site in the configuration tool. Tesla further puts in a gas savings in their pricing. The Model 3 is stated as $35K before tax breaks. There are two ways to state Apples-to-Apples, either the Bolt is $37.5K and the Model 3 is $35K. Or, to say the Bolt is $30K and the Model 3 is $27.5K.

If your second point is directed at me, I drive a Nissan Leaf and old VWs. My wife has a Model S with a Model X arriving any day. Expect one or two of our Teslas to be for sale once she decides what she wants to drive. Don't tell her, but I hate driving the Model S and expect the Model X will be worse with its falcons. I enjoy econoboxes.

It seems most here would love to drive a Model S and are hopeful that the Model 3 is just like it, but I want an econobox. I expect the Bolt will be added to my side of the garage soon.

For people who can afford the difference, the wording may not matter, but if people perpetuate these numbers, sooner or later, we'll all be led to believe them.

It's misleading, and semi-irresponsible of those of us who know better to keep feeding into it.

The Bolt is $37.5K. The Model 3 is $35K.

Look at it this way.....on the day you take the keys, what are you paying tax on/financing/cutting the check for?

I get that you're going to be saving money on gas, but even those estimates (on the Tesla website) are already misleading.

The average person drives between 10,000 and 15,000 miles and spends between $1,500 and $2,500 on gasoline per year. In comparison, the cost of electricity to power Model S over the same distance is four times lower. Over the five year average length of car ownership, thats between $6,000 and $10,000 in gasoline savings. We've assumed a fuel economy of 20 miles per gallon for a comparable gasoline powered premium sedan, for example the Mercedes-Benz S550. We've also assumed the national average of $0.12 per kilowatt-hour for electricity, 10% charging on Tesla's Supercharger network enabling free long distance travel and $2.90 per gallon for premium gasoline over the next five years.

I hope the re-write this piece for the Model 3....but....

1. The S550 won't be used as a comparison to the Model 3.
2. The price for gas where I live (MA) is down to around $2.15/gal right now.
3. I currently get 24/27/33.

So these numbers don't work for me.

We should all be speaking realistically about what this car will do, and what Tesla's numbers mean to you.

For example, if you're in something dependable and get great mileage, and the M3 and associated charging equipment is going to be a stretch for you....

you should REALLY be considering things like:
cost of having 240v run to your parking space/garage, or IF you can even do it (condo/apartment)
the financing rate you'll get on the M3
the insurance you'll have to pay
what your monthly payment will be

etc etc etc. and a lot of these things are what you'd consider when buying ANY car.

But, IMHO, it would be irresponsible for those of us who CAN afford to jump into a Model 3 to keep pushing these pie-in-the-sky numbers out there.

For me, the 1st year cost of a Model 3 will be:

~$1200 HPWC+install
~$55K (?) fully loaded, almost loaded Model 3
$1200 delivery fee
$3437.5 (6.25% MA Sales tax, based on 55K sticker)
$125 title and reg fee
~$20 in actual electricity costs to charge the car

That's $60,982.50

And the Tax Credits? If I get in early and get the full Fed credit:

$7500 Fed EV Tax Credit
$2500 State EV Tax credit
$360 State Tax credit for installing charging equipment

or $10,360 off my tax burden

Of course, a base model won't be as steep....but there are definitely some "start-up costs" we're not taking into account for 1st time EV owners.

It will take a while to realize the "savings" Tesla promises.

That's per month, right? Or do you have solar? Or do you not drive much?

I don't know how the state incentive works, but most people wont qualify for the federal incentive in the same year they take the $7,500 federal EV rebate.

I'm assuming .13/kWH, and only needing to charge up every other week. I drive 160 miles/week for my commute. So yes, I was probably way low on this.

I broke out the State tax credits. In MA, you get one for the vehicle, as well as a rebate of 30% of the cost of installing charging equipment, and as far as I know, you can take all of those in the same tax year. If not, that further proves my point that we shouldn't be drawn in by the magical numbers of what it will cost after tax rebates and after gas savings.

Everyone has a different number based on tax credits. Tesla includes the credit in the "price" so I will choose that convention here. Including the gas savings is a level of dishonesty that I will not even touch.

Me personally, I will put down a deposit at the reveal or in a store, whichever comes first. I want a base model with AWD and winter package, maybe a sunroof. I don't like leather or options that will break. I like econoboxes.

If the federal tax break is gone, I might bail if there is another AWD EV available cheap. I have the charging equipment and solar electricity. Colorado gives a $6K tax break.

The Model 3 will cost me no more than an econobox and if it is nicer, BONUS. But, I really don't care as I have simple tastes. Most here don't want it to be an econobox so to each her own.