TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the Model 3 support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by spmwilson, Jul 3, 2016.

?

Will Tesla support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

1. Yes

37.8%
  2. No

62.2%
  1. spmwilson

spmwilson New Member

What's your thought on Tesla supporting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in the upcoming Model 3.

2. mknoebel

mknoebel Member

I really hope so!

• Like x 2
  3. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Probably not as Tesla is too computer run and needs its own system. Other cars, it's just the radio head unit that needs the Android or Apple OS.

What Tesla could do would be provide a tablet spot on the dash which fits an iPad or Galaxy and lets it share the Tesla's internet connection. Customer can use either type of tablet in addition to the Tesla's OS and screen.

4. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

Not gonna happen

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

I'd be happy with just screen mirroring with touch support, but wouldn't mind if Waze on Android Auto was also available.

• Like x 1
  6. Petra

Petra Member

Considering that native Pandora support and improved phone integration are on the wish list for my current Model S, I'd hope that Tesla gets around to basic stuff like displaying/reading texts or messages through Hangouts by the time the Model 3 starts rolling off the line. Ooh, how about being able to scrub through songs? With all of the things that Tesla did differently and got right, there's an odd list of basic things that fell through the cracks.

7. spmwilson

spmwilson New Member

Tesla doesn't have an OS other than what exists in their cars. They should allow their customers to use the software already on their phones. I don't see how it would hurt their business. Forcing customers on their own software is only crippling their in car experience. They aren't going to catch up with Apple or Google.

• Like x 1
  8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Tesla needs to add this to the current cars, and bring it to the 3. With just about every other automaker offering one or both, they need to be include it also. Limit it to a half screen if needed...

9. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

And that is what we are talking about. Teslas are controlled via the computer screen and software running the car. That has to be a sealed system with only Tesla stuff.

On regular cars, the entertainment unit is an optional frill, running that on Android or IOS is inconsequential and many cars mfg.s offer Android and Apple on the entertainment units.

On the Tesla, it runs the car.

For those who want Apple or Android apps running, a tablet mount would be the way to go.

10. Petra

Petra Member

This is what proper sandboxing is for...

• Like x 3
  11. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I, for one, would hate the idea of third party apps running on the systems unless the apps are fully vetted and 100% sandboxed. Even the remote possibility of ads running on my car screen makes my blood curdle.

• Like x 2
  12. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Tesla runs a modified version of Linux.

13. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Tesla doesn't want to get "sandboxed" into the side of another tractor trailer. With controls of the car in the software, only Tesla stuff is going to run on the Tesla operating system.

A great sandbox for Apple or Android is nice mounting spot for Galaxy or iPad with ability for the car's internet connection to provide a link though even that might be an issue for Tesla as a backdoor into the car controls.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  14. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

It'd be extremely idiotic and scandalous for Tesla to have the critical systems such as real time control logic running in same physical memory space or even same processor as the "infotainment system". There might be a special communications link between the two for certain types of info, but it would not have direct access from an app.

• Like x 3
  15. cronosx

cronosx Member

They communicate over ethernet using some sort of API ( there are some thread about it ) so there is no "real" danger that prevent it

16. Booga

Booga Member

I would guess that these are pretty far down on their priority list and so no, I don't expect it on the model 3. These would make the design harder to meet each company's requirements.

17. drj3

drj3 Member

An advantage of buying a Tesla is that you can have a hope that the car you buy will have an interface with your phone that improves over time. Buy a car from anyone else and what you see is what you get.

18. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Not quite true - e.g. BMW USB updates for Bluetooth compatibility, but I'd bet that Tesla currently has more updates than other manufacturthis that add major functionality. But this paradigm will likely change very soon as more processing capability and network connectivity is added to the infotainment system and buyers place more importance on this capability in their car. Other automakers are already providing post production updates to add big features like Carplay.

19. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

As does Toyota and other mfgs. Most of the systems in cars are third party so no incentive to "upgrade" it by either the original mfg or the car mfg.

With Apple and Android systems being offered in more and more cars, it will happen, at least with Apple that requires update to the IOS frequently. An advantage with Apple over Android as the Android devices are typically stuck with whatever version of the os they have when manufactured.

20. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If an when Apple and Google add more compelling functionality to their car platforms, these may be much better options for Tesla to consider implementing. I personally don't think these platforms currently offer much in the way of a "killer app" but their constant evolution can easily change that at any time. They could eventually become a significant feature for buyers.