Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model 3 support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

Will Tesla support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that is what we are talking about. Teslas are controlled via the computer screen and software running the car. That has to be a sealed system with only Tesla stuff.

On regular cars, the entertainment unit is an optional frill, running that on Android or IOS is inconsequential and many cars mfg.s offer Android and Apple on the entertainment units.

On the Tesla, it runs the car.

For those who want Apple or Android apps running, a tablet mount would be the way to go.

Like most other modern cars, Teslas don't just have a single processor or operating system. The ECU and Infotainment system are completely separate systems that likely communicate with CANbus. Also, when a manufacturer decides to support Android Auto or Carplay, its not like the car (or infotainment system) is running the Android or Apple operating system. At least with Android Auto, everything runs on your phone or tablet and that device communicates with the infotainment system in the car telling it how to display the application. Think of it like a remote desktop connection. The in-car system can still run whatever OS it wants, as long as it supports the Android/Carplay API and will display the application accordingly.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00 and Model 3
I've used Apple CarPlay. It worked fine but unfortunately it makes you use Apple Maps instead being allowed to use Google Maps.

tumblr_lq4h2b73Nn1qcsjxo.gif

• Funny
Reactions: KZKZ
An advantage of buying a Tesla is that you can have a hope that the car you buy will have an interface with your phone that improves over time. Buy a car from anyone else and what you see is what you get.

My 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited added Apple CarPlay through an update to the Navigation Maps which I was able to download directly from Hyundai myself to the Maps SD Card and update myself (~40 minutes) without going into the dealer. It worked. A bit clunky, but it worked.

Now that I have CarPlay, I will say that I like it. Apple Maps is horrible though (on iOS 10 its supposed to be much better). So it's a catch 22. The nice part is Text Message dictation for my unread messages and then dictation to reply. Calendar reminders for upcoming appointments. Apple Music works very well.

I just test drove a Model S yesterday (first time) in preparation for my Model 3. I like Apple CarPlay in my Hyundai because the Hyundai UX is quite poor. With Tesla is a great looking system, so I would not necessarily want Apple CarPlay even that means sacrificing some of the functionality that Apple CarPlay adds.

Reactions: KZKZ
My 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited added Apple CarPlay through an update to the Navigation Maps which I was able to download directly from Hyundai myself to the Maps SD Card and update myself (~40 minutes) without going into the dealer. It worked. A bit clunky, but it worked.

Now that I have CarPlay, I will say that I like it. Apple Maps is horrible though (on iOS 10 its supposed to be much better). So it's a catch 22. The nice part is Text Message dictation for my unread messages and then dictation to reply. Calendar reminders for upcoming appointments. Apple Music works very well.

I just test drove a Model S yesterday (first time) in preparation for my Model 3. I like Apple CarPlay in my Hyundai because the Hyundai UX is quite poor. With Tesla is a great looking system, so I would not necessarily want Apple CarPlay even that means sacrificing some of the functionality that Apple CarPlay adds.

There's no way to get CarPlay to work with Google Maps right? I tried but couldn't find a way.

With Apple and Android systems being offered in more and more cars, it will happen, at least with Apple that requires update to the IOS frequently. An advantage with Apple over Android as the Android devices are typically stuck with whatever version of the os they have when manufactured.

Well, for one, Android Auto is updated independent of the OS on the device being used. It's updated directly from Google, and independent of OS updates, so they could issue an update today, tomorrow, and Wednesday, and each day the update would be deployed to all users of the software. Apple's CarPlay is dependent on the OS version, but of course, Apple is relatively quick in rolling out those updates compared to full OS updates for most Android manufacturers.

Second, functionality for both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay only casts information on the display. The device is the one doing the work, and the receiving device only needs to display the information provided. Tesla can easily prevent Android Auto and CarPlay from accessing ANY additional data, or they can integrate it into their system and allow it to show additional data on separate screens (see Honda's implementation), or show system diagnostics within the Android Auto interface. The reasons you're providing for NOT implementing it are false - there are other reasons, I'm sure, but the reasons you're providing are not valid reasons.

Well, for one, Android Auto is updated independent of the OS on the device being used.

That's actually impossible since the device has to be able to run the updated Android Auto or not.

Second, functionality for both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay only casts information on the display.

No. The device runs the apps.

Doubtful that Tesla is going to run either OS on its car no matter how easily they can be sandboxed. Just too risking for Tesla

It would run counter to Tesla needing to control the "whole user experience". We'll never see it.

Exactly. And with Apple making noise about building a competing car. The issue with Auto and CarPlay are that the nav and music apps are better than the crude nav and apps produced by the current car systems. Tesla has already overcome that and its use of the computer screen for car functions leaves zero room for the need to run outside OS's to run Auto and CarPlay.

On a Tesla, Auto and CarPlay are risky downgrades. On other cars with the primitive nav and music functions Auto and CarPlay are upgrades.

The last I heard about it, I think it was a year or so ago, was they would look into app mirroring on the display, but not actually support car play or andriod auto. I'm fine with that, as long as the music sounds good, using bluetooth and conroling the music app on the cars screen will still be easier than messing with my phone's smaller display.

Reactions: Model 3
On a Tesla, Auto and CarPlay are risky downgrades. On other cars with the primitive nav and music functions Auto and CarPlay are upgrades.
But are they really? Tesla's own audio playback software only just gained the ability to scrub in the past few months, it has been plagued with audio playback issues pretty much forever... I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it'll still occasionally get stuck in a loop and stutter through a song, experience subtle audio blips and dropouts every now and then, etc. Meaningful phone integration is nonexistent (no push notifications to the car, no reading or acknowledging of messaging/sms, no native Pandora app in-car or that interfaces with a phone, initiating calls from the car doesn't work on some phones (my wife's Sony Xperia Z1 Compact included), etc.). From a functionality standpoint, the phone integration in my Model S is actually worse than my nearly 3 year old $25k Honda Accord.