TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the Model S finally get a HUD (heads up display)??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by aus, Apr 23, 2016.

1. aus

aus Member

There's been a LOT of chatter of the Model 3 getting a HUD since there's no dash and Tesla just hired a guy who made a HUD for a Beamer motorcycle helmet.
    From what I've read, installing a traditional HUD needs to be designed into the car due to the hole in the dash, but maybe this guy can make a smaller unit? All the traditional Luxury cars have them and it's sorely lacking on the S, IMO.
    I would feel short changed if the Model 3 had it and the S didn't.

2. Mike K

Mike K Member

If Tesla wanted to add it it's a cinch. It's just another display and a different windshield. I suspect we won't see it on this iteration of the Model S though. I do hope the 3 has it however. I'm not digging the center instrument cluster.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

IF the 3 has an optional HUD (I emphasize the "if", and am sure that if there is a HUD will be an option) than I believe the S and the X will be redesigned to include the same HUD as standard, and the S and X will be produced with it just before the 3 goes into production.

A HUD could be really great, and there is no way that Tesla would restrict it to the 3.

This is all speculation. We won't know for at least 18 months.

4. tanner

tanner Active Member

I'd honestly much prefer the current MS speedo display to a HUD.

5. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

Why does it have to be a choice? Most cars with HUDs also have a regular instrument cluster as well.

I would love to have a HUD similar to that of newer BMWs and similar in addition to todays setup.

6. tanner

tanner Active Member

That's true, but with the M3 it will almost certainly be HUD only. We'll see at pt2

7. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

My gutfeeling says the model 3 wont be hud-only. That part of the prototype looked way to concept-car to me. Especially with how the model x turned out fresh in mind.

8. tanner

tanner Active Member

We'll see... Elon already said they had something "special" and different in mind.

9. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

I would love an HUD in the S, but when I asked Elon about it in Munich 2 years ago, I had the impression he did not like it (HUD in general). I wonder what changed his mind.

10. aus

aus Member

He must have changed his mind since he hired a guy known for developing HUD's.
    Maybe he saw some of the newer HUD's out there.

11. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Yes I would like a HUD on the Model S. Think it would be also useful to give info useful for the autonomous driving feature. Hope to get soon news on this matter from Elon.