Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model Y avoid or stop for an open door on parked car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving today (or to be more clear, the Model Y was on Autosteer) and a local road. One lane each direction, with cars parked on both sides along the road. Normal residential street, posted 25 MPH.

It tends to drive biased toward the curb side, a little closer to the parked cars than I would, but still not a danger of hitting anything. Several hundred feet ahead was someone parked with their driver side door wide open. If the car continued on the path it was on, it would have taken off the door.

Does anyone know if the car is smart enough to detect that situation and either move left or stop? I took over instead of trying to find out the answer myself.

I was driving today (or to be more clear, the Model Y was on Autosteer) and a local road. One lane each direction, with cars parked on both sides along the road. Normal residential street, posted 25 MPH.

It tends to drive biased toward the curb side, a little closer to the parked cars than I would, but still not a danger of hitting anything. Several hundred feet ahead was someone parked with their driver side door wide open. If the car continued on the path it was on, it would have taken off the door.

Does anyone know if the car is smart enough to detect that situation and either move left or stop? I took over instead of trying to find out the answer myself.
Taking over was the smart thing to do. I've tried AP on my local street, but there's too much fantom braking, and sometimes, my car doesn't; see things in the street. I no longer use AP on local roads. After the bit update that Elo has promised, I'll try it again.

Don't trust it to stop or move for a door. Autopilot has difficulty with seeing and reacting to stationary objects.

Its why there is the argument that we will never have fsd because we don't have lidar.

My car has come across scenarios like this also and it doesn't seem to react sometimes.

Autopilot will run over objects in the road. Do not trust it to stop. It may avoid an open car door but I wouldn't chance it.

Now saying that, I was impressed that Autopilot moved over for a bicyclist, traveling in the same direction as me, on a two lane road. It did recognize the bicycle in the display.

Did you ever make a batch of brownies and forget to keep track of the time? It looked good from the outside. The edges looked crispy. It sure smelled good. So you took it out of the oven, let it cool and cut them into squares only to find it was half-baked. That’s what FSD is on local roads. It’s half-baked.
I discovered this when I almost ran into the back of a UPS delivery truck that had its right tires on the curb and was taking up half the lane. It required waiting for on-coming traffic to clear, crossing the double yellow center line and going around. IMO it will take many more millions of fleet miles and many more years before it recognizes and navigates scenarios like this and many hundreds of other scenarios.
Having said this, I use FSD/autopilot on the expressway all the time. I’d rate it at 90% perfected. It exits for me, slows appropriately, merges with only minor jerky motions, and accelerates on the merging roadway. I expect merging to get smoother someday soon.

... I use FSD/autopilot on the expressway all the time. I’d rate it at 90% perfected. It exits for me, slows appropriately, merges with only minor jerky motions, and accelerates on the merging roadway. I expect merging to get smoother someday soon.

So do I, but one thing that really needs to be improved is how the car reacts when you're traveling in the right lane of an expressway and someone is in the in-coming merge lane. Even when the in-coming car is clearly in their lane, the MY slows down (sometimes suddenly and very abruptly) rather than maintaining speed and allowing the in-coming vehicle to merge in smoothly by either accelerating in front or falling in behind. Very confusing to someone following behind the MY.

From the owner’s manual:
“WARNING: Autosteer is not designed to, and will not, steer Model Y around objects partially or completely in the driving lane. Always watch the road in front of you and stay prepared to take appropriate action. It is the driver's responsibility to be in control of Model Y at all times.”

• Informative
Reactions: afty
My experience is that FSD is loathe to cross the center line for anything. I have come within an inch or so of mirrors of cars parked on the side of the road several times. Any driver would just momentarily cross the center line to give a good gap.

i also no longer use FSD on congested streets.

Hopefully this is fixed in a future release.