Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the new 2021 Model S Have the upgraded Matrix Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They still haven’t actually said anything about the refresh S, aside from those few press shots in the investor materials, what you can see on tesla.com, and a few comments by Elon. I mean, I know Tesla doesn’t do advertising, but it would be nice to not have to wait until people start getting new cars delivered to see what’s changed, lol.

Reactions: rickyjb and AMPd
Elon said during the press release that they were going to share more in depth info in a week or so...but nothing yet. I also think they should do a in-depth walk through since the cars are almost ready to be delivered.

We are now definitely in the “or so” portion of a week or so 2.5 weeks later....oooooooooElon :eek::D

I know it’s dumb, it’s just one of those must haves that I want. I drive on dark rural roads often and seeing the capabilities of this tech would be a huge benefit to me.
Your location says "Ny". If it's New York, you're out of luck, matrix headlights are still not approved by NHTSA for use in the USA. Porsche sells them here, but they disable the matrix functions, all LED's have to be all controlled together as one. Perhaps someone managed to hack it and flash European firmware, I haven't tracked that, but even if, it will be some time before hackers would hack the Tesla US version.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and DavidB
The matrix headlights on the other Teslas that have them don't do anything special yet. Given Tesla struggle to auto dip full beam at times the idea that they'll be able to do the fancy stuff that some other matrix headlights do like blocking out oncoming cars while on full beam might be a bit of a stretch in the short to medium term.

Reactions: croman
Your location says "Ny". If it's New York, you're out of luck, matrix headlights are still not approved by NHTSA for use in the USA. Porsche sells them here, but they disable the matrix functions, all LED's have to be all controlled together as one. Perhaps someone managed to hack it and flash European firmware, I haven't tracked that, but even if, it will be some time before hackers would hack the Tesla US version.

I just want the capability and hardware ready for a software update. It has been on NHTSAs desk for a few months now and is pending review and hopefully eventual approval from what I’ve read. Fingers crossed