Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the new CCS enabled superchargers have long cables?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've seen the announcement that Tesla will open 3,500 supercharger stalls (probably new ones) to use by CCS cars and, announcing this in concert with the White House, will presumably receive federal money to do this. The question is, just how big an opening of the network is this?

In particular, none of the supposedly "leaked" diagrams of Tesla's "magic dock" -- sometimes depicted as a NACS to CCS adapter built into the stall which can be unlocked and used by CCS cars, and sometimes shown as a dual-cord stall -- show an ordinary length charging cord. All Tesla drivers know it can be fairly hard to get the Tesla cord into their car's port which is right at the rear corner of the car. No other car has the port exactly at that corner (or the opposite front) though the Lexus and Mitsubishi have it somewhat close, and maybe an e-Tron could pull it off with a slightly longer cord. Hyunda/Kias could use it if they parked half a parking space over which we don't want.

Tesla could, to be sneaky, keep their cord and say "we support CCS" but for very few cars. They don't care that much about the bad press this would bring. Tesla cords now use liquid cooling and you can't just stick an extension cord on them.

The expansion is not that much. Tesla has 17,000 chargers now and says it will have double that (34,000) in the same timeframe, so only 10% of their stalls will support CCS. These will presumably be only new installations, and possibly not all the stalls at a station to boot. There are some places like Oregon where getting grants requires having a 350kW station, which Tesla can presumably support with their new V4 supercharger which handles up to 1,000v.

The WH announcement talks of even more money beyond the $5B NEVI program being administered by the states. That program puts a lot of rules on stations which don't match the way Tesla designs stations -- and usually stupid rules, though a few of them, like support for plug-and-charge and exporting stall availability status to appear in other apps, make sense. Screens, credit cards and 150kW minimums at all times on 4 ports are mistakes that come from the government and lobbyists designing your charging station.

Tesla has many other avenues to discourage non-Tesla use of these 10% of their chargers. They will charge CCS drivers more, but they are also offering a $1/month membership according to reports which will bring the price down. Nothing would forbid them from giving power priority to Teslas (or members) except at the 4 NEVI stalls. And they could make only a few stalls support CCS, making the stations less attractive to CCS drivers. (If a station has 32 stalls and only 4 support your car, you may feel less inclined to use it.)

Or will they, as they have said they want to do, embrace the CCS cars -- give them good prices, make all stalls support CCS and put longer cords on all stalls, at least for a CCS cord?

29226473908_ba75f13246_b.jpg

"Tesla Supercharger" by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Cable might be shorter, but tip to tail (WITH the dock) don’t you think that ads six inches maybe? The angle of entry makes it even worse though.

ok, all that sounded a bit randy, but you get my point.
Yes, I realize that, but due to the rigid nature of that adapter connection, the extra length actually doesn't really help. In fact it might actually make things worse as you say, given it angles the cable more, so you might actually need additional length.

The cable isn't just longer, it's attached to the other side of the stall.
It makes it easier to reach forward-facing driver-side front-fender.
Maybe… V3 chargers can be left-right or right-left cable placement, so V4 units could be either way as well. Plus, it is unclear if there will be a standard (or consistent) location for placement of the V4 charger pylons.
Either way, longer cables will certainly help.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I was interested in doing this anyways, but from the leaked plans that electrek referenced:
Also from overlaying the magic dock screen shot:

Assuming the diagrams are to scale, here are the lengths of the cables (only the cable, not including the handle and strain relief) I measured using photoshop freeform paths (using perimeter tool on resulting shape and subtracting the straight line length between the two end points to get the length of the path):
V4: 121 inches or ~10 ft
V3
: 78 inches or ~6.5 ft
V3 Magic Dock
: 73 inches or ~6 ft

Yes, the Magic Dock version appears to actually have ~half a feet shorter cable than the regular V3 (spy shots captured them replacing the cables too, not just the dock, so the cables are confirmed different). This means V4 actually has a 4 ft longer cable than the V3 Magic Dock. Don't know how a Magic Dock V4 would look, but if it loses half a feet also, then that still means a ~9.5 ft long cable. So actually way longer than a V3, although to be clear, the cable in the V4 does come out approximately 16 inches higher than in the V3 and on the left instead of the middle right, so the practical additional length might not be as much as it seems.

With this info, maybe someone can do a updated calculation on what configurations it would allow.
The V4s are finally out and tested. Seems like my length estimates are spot on:

"According to a separate report posted by Teslarati (after Esther Kokkelmans, who visited the charger), the length of the charging cable increased from about 6-6.5 feet in the V3 version to 9.5-9.8 feet (calculated from 2.9-3 meters), which means some 50 percent increase."

Comments say they mount the stall so that where the cable comes out is in the middle, which makes sense to maximize reach to ports on both sides.

The V4s are finally out and tested. Seems like my length estimates are spot on:

"According to a separate report posted by Teslarati (after Esther Kokkelmans, who visited the charger), the length of the charging cable increased from about 6-6.5 feet in the V3 version to 9.5-9.8 feet (calculated from 2.9-3 meters), which means some 50 percent increase."

Comments say they mount the stall so that where the cable comes out is in the middle, which makes sense to maximize reach to ports on both sides.
What was also interesting to me, but perhaps not to those who've used CCS for a long time, was when one dongle sat undocked on the ground when the video author arrived. The CCS dongle has a gentle curve on its top side (which is the part that will rest on the ground), but looks a bit more aggressive curvature than on the NACS dongles. That, along with being physically larger and longer than NACS, allowed the open dongle end to face more upward and off the ground than a NACS one, to minimize exposure to dirt, pebbles, slush that we really don't want getting lodged in the connection port.

Yeah, of course we don't want them to ever be resting on the ground in the first place. But the current informal protocol seems to be to leave the dongle undocked when the pedestal isn't working, to inform arriving cars, and IIRC, you're not supposed to hang or loop the cable over the top of the pedestal as that causes more damage to the cable innards. So the only place to leave it undocked is basically on the ground...

Last edited:
Cables often have a minimum bending radius, but I have no idea what it is for these cables. Draping the cable over the cabinet could theoretically exceed that by kinking it at the point of contact. Again though, I have no idea what the specs are on these and I don't put too much wight into this concern necessarily. I have had to pull RG-318 coax cables out of a project before because we suspected that the bending radius limit had been exceeded for some of them. But giant DC cables are a totally different beast from a tiny RF coax cable.

I guess another concern with the Tesla cables is the liquid cooling tubes. Not sure how prone to damage from kinking they are, but that might be a larger concern than the wire bending radius limit.

Yeah, RG coax cable is solid core, that limits the bends. DCFC cables are stranded, and the coolant tubes are rubber. I think this is all just a *myth* that you can't put it over the top.

Plus if you lay it on the ground how do you know it's bad? It looks exactly like it was dropped or fell out of the holster, whereas draping it over the top can ONLY happen on purpose. That is a good indicator to the next person that the stall is bad. I think you can even loop it around so it's hooked on the other side of the SpC. Shouldn't fall down then, even in a strong gale.

Reactions: TesslaBull