Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the off-road tires reduce the range like 22s on MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Ford F-150 switched from stock tires 265/70R 17 to the same size in Toyo open country M/T 10ply/load E very aggressive deep tread. I lost 3 MPG, 22MPG to 19MPG at 70 MPH. A loss of 13.63 percent. The physics of rolling resistance, (see Mitchlen Tire "tools" Rolling resistance comparison). Increase tread depth, tire size, load rating, Load, all increase rolling resistance.
Add my tools, 95 gal diesel fuel tank for tractors. Now at load capacity around 7500lbs. MPG is down to 15MPG at 70 MPH a 31.81% loss.
I believe the Tesla pickup will be much efficient than the Ford F-150. These are the numbers I have to compare. Tires are Tires.

I believe it will. Not everyone wants/needs the biggest offroad tires. Some will want road tires, some heavy duty trailering tires.

My bet: Road tires standard for highest range and quietest interior noise. All else optional with range degradation.

I would like believe that Cycberytrucks posted ranges are with aggressive offroad tires it was shown with. I have not seen these Goodyear tires before. I think Tesla asked different tire manufacturers to design a low rolling resistance offroad tire for the cycbertruck, Goodyear won.

yes, you would increase efficiency if you switch to a low rolling resistance street tire.
Use the reverse of my switch from Michelin 265/70R17 to Toyo MT 265/70R17. A lost 3 MPG, 22 MPG to 19MPG.
If cycbertruck was range tested/projected on paper to have a 300-mile range and switched to a light truck street tire, you should/might see an increase of 13.6% - of range 40.8 to 340.8

Why off road tyres as you’re hopefully never gong into places that require off road tyres
I live in AL where people love to hunt and drive on their properties. Heck, there are guys that build hill climbers and rock crawlers and take them “exploring” every weekend. My point is that loads of people look for opportunities to get off-road in their well equipped vehicles. Most just “jack up” their truck and never take it off road . Status symbol. If you think about it Jeep has built and entire platform of vehicles on getting off the pavement.

I would guess the Tesla range estimate is way above what we would see in real world driving. Just like the MY i drive or any other vehicle. Our MY LR Tesla estimate is 326. Driving like a normal human on the open road we see about 210 mile before we get anxious and the car would probably go 250 before dead. So i assume we can knock the Cybertruck range down by 1/3. This would still put it in a great road trip range. We got stretched out this weekend Winnemucca, NV to Hine OR. 300 mile highway range would be a game changer.

The range testing is with the stock huge nobby tires, custom-made for Tesla. So 470 EPA (dual motor) with the range extender seems reasonable. With off-roading far slower than freeway speeds, you might get more range. The best range in an EV is at 35 mph or so - often 30-70% beyond the EPA range. If you go a lot slower (10-15 mph), then the range will likely be below the EPA numbers. Not sure how terrain would affect those numbers, but likely similar to any ICE car. Driving in mud or deep streams could really reduce range.

The range testing is with the stock huge nobby tires, custom-made for Tesla. So 470 EPA (dual motor) with the range extender seems reasonable. With off-roading far slower than freeway speeds, you might get more range. The best range in an EV is at 35 mph or so - often 30-70% beyond the EPA range. If you go a lot slower (10-15 mph), then the range will likely be below the EPA numbers. Not sure how terrain would affect those numbers, but likely similar to any ICE car. Driving in mud or deep streams could really reduce range.
Loose snow on the roads reduced my model 3 range by 30-40%.

Modern AT tires don’t affect range at all. I have 0% deference between my summer tires and studded Nolan Hakka 9 in the winter with my model 3.

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 10
Don't those Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9's go on the car once the temps drop below 50° F? Doesn't the range drop in Lower temps? If you left them on in the summer your range would drop due to the softer compound.
The range drops in lower temps due to running the heat and driving on snow covered roads.

But when I swap to them in early October and from them in late May. Before the snow falls I notice no difference at all in wh/min on the Same weather, same drives, same roads.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
LOLOLOLOLOLOL hypermiling != real life.

108* interior temps, yeah. That sounds like something every member of this board will do. Especially those that get mega sad that hvac pulls range. 😂