TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the P85D front engine fit in a golf cart?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hawaii J, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Hawaii J

Hawaii J Member

Just curious if the front motor from the P85D will in a golf cart, 18 holes in half the time :-/

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Moderator note: Updated title to make it descriptive.

(fyi, no engine, just a motor...)

3. Ames

Ames Member

Well let's see. If you put a 221 hp motor in your golf cart, you will be giving it 35 more hp than the Ducati 1199 Superleggera Superbike which is quite comfortable running with a McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder...etc (see link below). Of course the Tesla motor has loads more torque which should easily overcome the extra 400 lbs of weight. I think with a well placed bunker your contraption could be airborne the entire length of the 9th at Sawgrass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLqa4vlmFI

Notice, the P1 "only" managed 3.2 seconds to 60 :cool:

4. MTOman

MTOman Member

I don't have an answer but I like the way you think, I'll be following this thread to see if anyone decides to give this a try :))

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#5 NigelM, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    I have an electric xrt800 utility vehicle that I use around our property. There looks to be almost enough room for a Tesla electric motor, although it would probably mean raising the flat bed (or removing it entirely). The primary issue would probably be the actual power source; there's no way to fit a Tesla battery pack and my XRT batteries output only 48v.

Oh, one other problem: the xrt curb weight without batteries is ~1,000lbs IIRC so fitting a Tesla motor with a suitable power supply would be a pretty wild ride (assuming you didn't become a candidate for the Darwin Awards).

6. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Member

How many volts does the motor run on?

Why does this remind me of the JATO rocket on the Pontiac in Arizona (or Mythbusters)?

7. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

I have no idea, but I like where you head is at...