Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the performance AWD come first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: I think they will release all AWD versions (Model 3 55D/80D/P80D) in June 2018.

The FAQ page here says the following:
Fall 2017: White interior option, standard configuration (non-Premium Upgrades)
November 2017: Standard Battery, $35,000 car
Spring 2018: Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Spring 2018 could mean March, April or May 2018. However, based on survey data, Tesla's estimator mostly shows Jun 2018 - Aug 2018 for AWD owner reservations in California. June 2018 is more likely because when Tesla's estimator mentions a 3 months period, they are aiming for the first month.

At this point, somebody could argue that just because Tesla's estimator shows June 2018 for AWD, it doesn't mean the Model 3 P80D will be released in June 2018. It could mean just the Model 3 80D and the Model 3 55D will be released. Tesla's website doesn't even mention the Performance version.

However, the performance version with Ludicrous mode was confirmed by Elon here. Initially, Elon said production might start at the end of March 2018 here, but then more recently he said mid-2018 here. The Model 3 P80D is expected to have about the same range as the Model S P100D, same performance as the Model S P85D and I would expect the price to start around $74K USD. Tesla doesn't want to talk about the Model 3 Performance version because they can't sell that car right now and they want to sell more Model S cars.

TLDR: I think they will release all AWD versions (Model 3 55D/80D/P80D) in June 2018.

Spring 2018 could mean March, April or May 2018. However, based on survey data, Tesla's estimator mostly shows Jun 2018 - Aug 2018 for AWD owner reservations in California. June 2018 is more likely because when Tesla's estimator mentions a 3 months period, they are aiming for the first month.

At this point, somebody could argue that just because Tesla's estimator shows June 2018 for AWD, it doesn't mean the Model 3 P80D will be released in June 2018. It could mean just the Model 3 80D and the Model 3 55D will be released. Tesla's website doesn't even mention the Performance version.

However, the performance version with Ludicrous mode was confirmed by Elon here. Initially, Elon said production might start at the end of March 2018 here, but then more recently he said mid-2018 here. The Model 3 P80D is expected to have about the same range as the Model S P100D, same performance as the Model S P85D and I would expect the price to start around $74K USD. Tesla doesn't want to talk about the Model 3 Performance version because they can't sell that car right now and they want to sell more Model S cars.

So you're thinking $30k for P&D upgrade? If I'm not mistaken was $36K on S.

So the most recent information we have is Spring for the standard D and middle of next year for the performance. Doesn't sound like the same time to me.

Reactions: Bokonon
Since their current MO seems to be about quantity of vehicles rather than revenue, I'm guessing that the P car will be released later than the AWD cars. That's another reason that I added a second reservation and am planning to buy the First Release version, then upgrade a year later to the P-AWD.