Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Performance+ Model 3 need a higher amp circuit breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Available power does not overload anything. The condition that a 100Amp circuit would impact is if there were a resistive failure in the wall connector or vehicle charger, in which case you could have a higher fault current.
I guess this is what I'm concerned about. If there was a resistive failure, you would want it to cut off at 60 amps vs 100 amps. Maybe rather than having two wall connectors connected together with a 100 amp circuit (as Tesla recommends), it's better to have two separate 60 amp circuits connected to independently wired wall connectors?

I guess this is what I'm concerned about. If there was a resistive failure, you would want it to cut off at 60 amps vs 100 amps. Maybe rather than having two wall connectors connected together with a 100 amp circuit (as Tesla recommends), it's better to have two separate 60 amp circuits connected to independently wired wall connectors?

Theoretically, sure. Although a 14.4kW short versus a 24kW one likely makes no practical difference.

The car and the wall connector are rated for 100a circuits. I would have zero issues installing a 100a circuit even if you did not need it.

In a fault condition (short) you don’t really care about the thermal trip characteristics of the breaker. You are relying on the electromagnetic trip function. I don’t actually know, but I suspect the function is not much different between 60 and 100a breakers.

In reality, what matters is available fault current, and that is much more a function of your distance from the transformer and the resistance of the wire along that path from the transformer more than it is a function of the breaker type.

So I would install whatever made sense. I could make arguments for a shared 100a circuit and I can also make arguments for dedicated smaller circuits. It all depends on total available service capacity, what kind of cars you will be charging, etc...

Last edited: