Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Performance Model 3 w/ 20 inch wheels be able to accept the 18" for winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asked this on reddit... but not any response... will ask the experts here.

So question; living in Utah on a steep hill; ... I want to use the 18" Aero wheels with a winter tire during the winter and the existing 20" wheels in the summer. I know the 20" wheels require the "2 x rear upper fore links"

Would these "upper fore links" need to be removed each time I go to swap the tire to the 18"?

Just wondering if I will be able to simply unbolt the summer tires and bolt on winter tires; and vice versa on the season change. Or if I will have to be touching something on the suspension each time as well.

I would be more concerned about if the 18" wheels would fit over the performance brakes that come as part of the performance upgrade package. At this point I think only Tesla would be able to answer that question.

It doesn't appear that the manual has been updated for the 20" wheels...

Asked this on reddit... but not any response... will ask the experts here.

So question; living in Utah on a steep hill; ... I want to use the 18" Aero wheels with a winter tire during the winter and the existing 20" wheels in the summer. I know the 20" wheels require the "2 x rear upper fore links"

Would these "upper fore links" need to be removed each time I go to swap the tire to the 18"?

Just wondering if I will be able to simply unbolt the summer tires and bolt on winter tires; and vice versa on the season change. Or if I will have to be touching something on the suspension each time as well.

I believe you should move to the west or south west. Then you will not have to deal with winter :). I did it.

• Funny
Reactions: commasign
I would be more concerned about if the 18" wheels would fit over the performance brakes that come as part of the performance upgrade package. At this point I think only Tesla would be able to answer that question.
Oh yep... that too.... If it doesn't fit the 18, i would guess the 19" winter tire set would be what I had to get... although I actually like the aero look and want to sport it for half the year.

I think only the red paint on the performance calipers comes with the $5000 performance upgrade. The high performance calipers with standard gray color are included with the dual motor performance base. So the 18" should fit. This has not been confirmed by Tesla though.

I think only the red paint on the performance calipers comes with the $5000 performance upgrade. The high performance calipers with standard gray color are included with the dual motor performance base. So the 18" should fit. This has not been confirmed by Tesla though.
I would not assume that. Tesla has not been clear about it, and the image compositor that the site uses shows smaller brakes for the 18" wheels on a P. Unless they clarify or people start taking delivery, I would assume that only the P² package has the larger brakes.

I’m interested to know that as well. In checking the Shop pages on Tesla.com, I see no warning that the winter versions of their 18 and 20” wheel packages are not for 3s with the Performance upgrade package. Maybe that’s an indication they would work.

FWIW, i was told no. the rotors are a larger diameter.

Not that I believe TireRack has inside knowledge, but they list 235/35-20 Front and 275/30-20 Rear as OEM sizes for the 2018 Model 3 with staggered wheels. That's a lot of rear width. That would also imply that the tires are the stickier flavor of PS4S as I don't think there's a UTQG 500 rear. So .. if we do get staggered we get better handling and I'm liking the performance package add-on.

And I'm now extra desperate to find out if there's a 19" wheel that will fit for winter tires, or I'm going to be swapping out rotors and calipers ?!?!? Not that I can't do that you understand, but I can't do that with my wife watching.:)

The upper-lower links change would also be a give-away, I think, that the wheels are staggered. So... rumors of a somewhat different suspension are true, albeit perhaps trivially so.

given the non-staggered 20s they've been selling since March include the link change, not sure why you think that'd indicate staggered

Also since you said you'd have to find 19s that fit for winter- Tesla already sells those-

Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Reactions: MP3Mike
As i pointed out, the TireRack site lists a 2018/M3 OEM tire selection for staggered wheels. That's *all* I have to go on.

The rotors on the new performance package are larger (as confirmed by Tesla Dublin and a call to the M3 Hotline, with the requisite 45 minute wait). Both said the 18's don't fit. They didn't know about the status of the 19s).

This is Tesla we're talking about, and until we have a car in hand it's all speculation. But ... I'd be willing to bet on the 18s not fitting.

FWIW, i was told no. the rotors are a larger diameter.

Not that I believe TireRack has inside knowledge, but they list 235/35-20 Front and 275/30-20 Rear as OEM sizes for the 2018 Model 3 with staggered wheels. That's a lot of rear width. That would also imply that the tires are the stickier flavor of PS4S as I don't think there's a UTQG 500 rear.

PS4S is normally a 300 wear rating. The Tesla variety comes with acoustic treatment and a 500 rating. You can opt for the same size tire with the stickier compound, if you wish and want to purchase through Tire Rack or another Michelin vendor.

As i pointed out, the TireRack site lists a 2018/M3 OEM tire selection for staggered wheels. That's *all* I have to go on.

The rotors on the new performance package are larger (as confirmed by Tesla Dublin and a call to the M3 Hotline, with the requisite 45 minute wait). Both said the 18's don't fit. They didn't know about the status of the 19s).

This is Tesla we're talking about, and until we have a car in hand it's all speculation. But ... I'd be willing to bet on the 18s not fitting.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sele...th+Staggered+Tires&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=

tirerack also shows staggered 19s, which don't exist AFAIK, so I wouldn't put much stock in listing staggered 20s

Wonder if there are software considerations as well. I've owned SUVs that warn against mounting tires of different sizes because the stability control and braking algorithms might be confused. Not to mention the speedometer of course.

Any information from Tesla on this point?

Wonder if there are software considerations as well. I've owned SUVs that warn against mounting tires of different sizes because the stability control and braking algorithms might be confused. Not to mention the speedometer of course.

Any information from Tesla on this point?
Should be fine as long as the tires are the same outer diameter. I don’t think anyone is talking about mounting tires with significantly different outer diameters.
On cars with limited slip center differentials you do want exactly the same tires with the same tread depth front and back. Not applicable to Teslas.