TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will the rain wipers ever work at night?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by viper2ko, May 16, 2018.

1. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Anyone think they can fix it? Or is the lack of a rain sensor too much to overfome. Mine rarely work at night unless on a well lit road

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I think they probably need a special-cased night time neural net or something, and they haven't gotten around to it. Obviously, we can tell as humans whether or not it's raining at night. But a wet windshield at night looks quite different than one during the day.

• Like x 1
  3. The Duke

The Duke Member

So far mine are working well at night. I do live in an area with well lit freeways for the most part. Have you tried RainX? RainX makes the water bead which does two things, you need wipers less because the water blows off and the camera has a better drop shape to see.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Your car lacks a rain sensor? What year is your car?
    I have a rain sensor on my car and it works fine at night.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Mine seems to work just fine at night, though there is always some light from other cars, street lamps or even my own headlights. How dark was it when your wipers don’t work? If it is that dark where nothing is visible, then does it matter if the wipers work or not?

6. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

If you're on even a moderately dark road they don't work at all. Definitely seem to need something shining on the windshield for them to be effective (on AP2+ "neural net" auto-wiper cars).

7. Graffi

Graffi Member

I do not even know, what is RAIN? I seem to remember something about that but it has been soooooooo looooooooon since I have seen rain.

8. whitex

whitex Active Member

Same goes for Elon, hence designing a rain sensing function is a completely foreign and abstract concept to him. He also doesn't believe in using someone else's proven solution (too lame, why not reinvent the wheel every time). Unless Mars climate matches California, I foresee a lot of issues with Elon's adventures on Mars.

• Funny x 1