Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The Real Pacific Blue Please Stand Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting the blue. I've always been partial to those really dark colors that appear almost black sometimes and the blue really does that. Got a chance to really inspect the blue at the Chicago event and for my tastes it was perfect. They had both the blue and black at that event and when the blue would drive back in you were never quite sure if it was the blue or the black one returning.

My husband was originally against the blue based on the color depicted on the website. He used to say it was a Buick. Apparently in his mind only people who drive Buicks and are AARP members like blue. But seeing the blue in person changed his mind.

So blue it is and I'm leaning towards the grey interior to keep the whole cool, calming color theme going. I agree the tan makes it look warmer but living in Missouri I already get enough heat.

Wow!! The blue Model S is absolutely gorgeous. The pictures online do not show the true color....it looks black until the light is right.... then it is the deepest midnight blue that you can imagine. I took pics /video and will try to post when I get back home.

I posted my first impressions under First Drive Reviews......Awesome car!!!

The only regret that I have with opting for the Signature S is that it isn't available in the Metallic Blue.
I'll be happy with the Signature Red but the blue one is NICE. Here's a couple of clips that I put together to make this short video:
Note that the lights were not flickering on the white Model S when I was recording the video.
This must have been caused by the frames per second rate that was recording at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PBcU9Ieis&feature=plcp

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I was so overwhelmed by the looks of the car....I didn't focus on the finer points. I bet that those issues have been fixed.
The Model S is very impressive in person....first look and you want to really check it out because it looks so good at all angles.
It was much larger than I envisioned....but not too large. It's a perfect size in my opinion.

The blue car in Houston is the same blue car (I believe) that has been at other Get Amped events. The car at Palo Alto was built "last week". Definitely tighter gaps etc.

I shot photos and video including 1080p/60 Steadicam walkarounds in sun and mixed sun/shade. I will be uploading them as soon as I can.

Howdy. Here's the first of a number of videos of the (Pacific) Blue car. Shot at 1080p/60 with a Panasonic TM900 camera on a Steadicam Merlin. Not my best Steadicam effort, but I hope it will be useful at least.

If anybody else is thinking of doing videos like this, I think I would recommend bringing some kind of color reference card or a means of doing manual white balance. These colors seem pretty close to reality, though. I recommend playing this on YouTube at 1080p if you can.

For any of these videos, if you would like the raw files straight from the camera, PM me. They're not too huge. This one is about 230MB, for example. They are in AVCHD .MTS format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another. This one is a 270 degree walkaround of the Blue Model S starting in bright sunshine and transitioning through shade back to bright sunshine, with the car pulling away at the end. Shot at 1080p/60 with Panasonic TM900 and Steadicam Merlin. Again not my best Steadicam work, but hopefully helpful. More to come.

I'm posting these direct from the camera's files, no editing, titles, sound effects, etc, in the interests of speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a still that I really like as an example of how the car looks in sun and shade. This was shot with a Canon S100 in RAW mode, and then converted to JPEG on my laptop. I believe the color is more accurate than either the JPEGs shot by the S100, or the video color from the TM900. I am happy to share the RAW files via PM if anybody is interested. (This is clickable to view full size)

It's a kind of neat shot of the S in mixed shade/sun (same location as the video above). You can see the difference between the blue in direct sun and in shade, where it looks effectively black:

IMG_0325-2.jpg

Hello all,

From the photos in this thread I first thought that the Pacific Blue paint type just reflects blue sky illumination well, but now I wonder whether the UV component from sunlight might have something to do with it. It would be fun to take Tesla's PB paint sample panel out in the sunlight outside a Tesla showroom and see how it responds to direct sunlight vs. shade (but still allowing blue sky reflection for the latter).

Good to meet you today Mike K, thanks for providing useful info.

Oliver