Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The Revolutionary Tesla Windshield Wiper Debut On The Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The flat windshield on the electric pickup truck may be ideal for that. We try to cover everything related to exciting patents on the EV world. Weirdly, we missed reporting about a revolutionary windshield wiper Tesla trademarked in September 2019. Like the innovative wiring harness it patented in July 2019, we have not seen it...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/08/19/revolutionary-tesla-windshield-wiper-have-perfect-match-with-the-cybertruck/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Maglev isn't really much of an advantage here, since the bulk of the friction is in the wiper anyway. This same idea could be implemented with a standard threaded rod based motor if you could get it to slew fast, strong and quiet enough. Having space for such a motor at one end of the rail is likely to be neigh impossible, so you'd need to add a gear transition which would be noisy.

You know this how?

EVERYTHING you expect in a vehicle is subject to fundamental change on this thing. If side mirrors weren’t on this prototype, I expect none in production.

To compare: side mirrors on the Leaf affected aerodynamics enough Nissan changed the shape of the headlights to compensate. Same problem remains, and I’d not be surprised if Elon found a way to viably do without entirely.

Maybe...maybe not. Tesla has been an advocate for cameras instead of mirrors for a long time. Safer and more reliable. I believe they are legal in some parts of the world. Who knows...it could happen.

Dan
It is interesting to see that the Sentry side cameras are now also displayed into the central display below the rear view mirror camera.

So basically side view mirrors cameras are already existing on any Tesla vehicle.

I think that the new Honda e is sold in Europe using cameras instead of side view and rear view mirrors.

I wonder if future Tesla vehicles will get additional display screens on each side of the dashboard on keep the central display?

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
Cameras instead of side mirrors are not safer. If Tesla wants to install side cameras in addition to mirrors .. ok.
Anybody who has driven a truck knows the mirrors are needed. They are required by law too. That will not change.
The law will most definitely change, the only question is when (in my opinion). It's all about demonstration of reliability and increased safety. Insurance companies will demand it at some point.

Dan

I'm also in the camp that side mirrors will no longer be required someday soon, but I think as part of that there will be a requirement for a mirror-looking-display in pretty much the same spot as the driver sees the mirror now, but inside the car. Maybe attached to the dashboard, A-pillar, or even the door itself, but probably the A-pillar. It would eliminate air drag and potentially narrow the overall car(or conversely, allow the Cybertruck to be 12" wider with even more aero drag), eliminate mirror-icing, and stuff like that.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
I'm also in the camp that side mirrors will no longer be required someday soon, but I think as part of that there will be a requirement for a mirror-looking-display in pretty much the same spot as the driver sees the mirror now, but inside the car. Maybe attached to the dashboard, A-pillar, or even the door itself, but probably the A-pillar. It would eliminate air drag and potentially narrow the overall car(or conversely, allow the Cybertruck to be 12" wider with even more aero drag), eliminate mirror-icing, and stuff like that.
I often look in my Model 3 and think just such a display would work perfectly where the small tweeters are located on the A pillar. Exactly where you would look in a conventional car.

Dan

As cute as those linear/lateral windshield wipers might be, I don't think they'll make it --- not practical. Regular wipers only require a single point of motion/clearance/freedom whereas the linear track requires 2+ feet of freedom to travel which going to be plugged up, messed up, etc with all sorts of crap, leaves, dirt, bugs, etc....

Reactions: kayak1
Will the Cybertruck come standard with rear view mirrors? Yes. Should there be an option to replace them with cameras? Yes. Right now my side cameras notify me of things in my blind spots I cannot see in the rear view mirrors letting me know I need to stomp on the accelerator if I still want to change lanes. THE best part of owning a P3 is there is nothing 99% of the vehicles on the road can do about if I do.

The downside of the cameras is during bad winter driving the cameras frequently get obscured. I know that because they are constantly warning me about it. I cannot see out of the rear view mirrors either but they do not warn me. LIDAR or IR cameras covering the vehicle would probably be better but they can get likewise obscured.

Last edited:
Reactions: GalacticHero