Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The Revolutionary Tesla Windshield Wiper Debut On The Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can appreciate the excitement around Tesla but every little idea they have is being called revolutionary. Not long ago it was the Model 3 wiring motor harness, was a "game changer", LOL. Windshield wiper design is not revolutionary. It's interesting at best.

Flame suit on...................

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1
Rear view mirrors will be obsolete as soon as jurisdictions figure it out. Eventually, insurance companies will require cameras to replace mirrors because of the vastly improved safety.
I agree.
Exactly. Mirrors are reliable. Mirrors are required. Every car and truck in the USA has them and so will the CT.

Cameras are nice. When I’m towing I would look at them, but not rely on them. That’s what mirrors are for.
Ever since getting my first Tesla over a decade ago I have primarily relied on the rear camera image in the center display instead of the physical rear view mirror. That image shows me much more than the mirror, the exception being when it rains.

Since Tesla started showing the side camera image in the center display when the driver activates the turn signal I use that image instead of the side mirror.

And now we have the CT where, when the tonneau cover is closed, the rear view mirror is useless. But the center display shows a beautiful wide angle rectangular image of the rear camera view. From the little I have seen so far in online CT reviews, that image looks outstanding. Now I want to see how the rear camera handles rain. That is important. If the rear camera view is obscured by water drops on the camera that is a real problem for the CT.

Again based on online reviews, it appears that the rear view mirror can be removed which is what I would probably do if I was a CT owner. Also, reviewers say the side mirrors can be removed (though I have yet to see someone do that). I assume that the side camera images can be shown in the center display, either when the turn signal is activated or maybe permanently, but I have not seen a video showing how those images appear in the center display and if they can be moved around (pretty sure that is possible).

I agree.

Ever since getting my first Tesla over a decade ago I have primarily relied on the rear camera image in the center display instead of the physical rear view mirror. That image shows me much more than the mirror, the exception being when it rains.

Since Tesla started showing the side camera image in the center display when the driver activates the turn signal I use that image instead of the side mirror.

And now we have the CT where, when the tonneau cover is closed, the rear view mirror is useless. But the center display shows a beautiful wide angle rectangular image of the rear camera view. From the little I have seen so far in online CT reviews, that image looks outstanding. Now I want to see how the rear camera handles rain. That is important. If the rear camera view is obscured by water drops on the camera that is a real problem for the CT.

Again based on online reviews, it appears that the rear view mirror can be removed which is what I would probably do if I was a CT owner. Also, reviewers say the side mirrors can be removed (though I have yet to see someone do that). I assume that the side camera images can be shown in the center display, either when the turn signal is activated or maybe permanently, but I have not seen a video showing how those images appear in the center display and if they can be moved around (pretty sure that is possible).
I was talking about the side mirrors. Musk wanted to eliminate them. I said he can’t. And.. he didn’t after all. He doesn’t understand what a truck is.

simply copy the ford telescoping side mirrors. That's what truck drivers need when towing. We need bigger mirrors. Musk wanted to eliminate Them All together. It amazing me people who drive passenger cars don’t understand this.

I was talking about the side mirrors. Musk wanted to eliminate them. I said he can’t. And.. he didn’t after all. He doesn’t understand what a truck is.
Thanks for clarifying, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Regarding the side mirrors; in the US they are required by law, as you noted. Elon has wanted to eliminate side mirrors for a long time; the first Model X prototype shown by Tesla had no side mirrors. Of course they were present in the production vehicles.

You mentioned towing, and I agree that obviously you need a side view while towing, but with the CT I am guessing that you can show the side view camera images on the center display. We shall see. If the CT doesn’t offer that now, it will be an easy software upgrade in the future. For 6 years I’ve been towing a 17 ft RV trailer with my X; initially I used an extended side mirror that clamps on to the Tesla side mirror, and then I switched to an added internal display that wireless connects to a camera fixed to the rear of the trailer. Of course that is not a solution that works readily with utility trailers or other things that people tow, I recognize that.

I think Elon and the Tesla design team do understand what a truck is; with the CT they went way beyond traditional truck designed and improved almost (not all) every aspect of it.

Thanks for clarifying, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Regarding the side mirrors; in the US they are required by law, as you noted. Elon has wanted to eliminate side mirrors for a long time; the first Model X prototype shown by Tesla had no side mirrors. Of course they were present in the production vehicles.

You mentioned towing, and I agree that obviously you need a side view while towing, but with the CT I am guessing that you can show the side view camera images on the center display. We shall see. If the CT doesn’t offer that now, it will be an easy software upgrade in the future. For 6 years I’ve been towing a 17 ft RV trailer with my X; initially I used an extended side mirror that clamps on to the Tesla side mirror, and then I switched to an added internal display that wireless connects to a camera fixed to the rear of the trailer. Of course that is not a solution that works readily with utility trailers or other things that people tow, I recognize that.

I think Elon and the Tesla design team do understand what a truck is; with the CT they went way beyond traditional truck designed and improved almost (not all) every aspect of it.
Hmmm. I have been driving big Ford Trucks for over to years. Tesla missed the mark by a lot.

by the way if you ever get A chance, check the new Ford Trucks. Everything about them is perfect. Materials, paint, fit and finish. And of course they use Apple Car Play. It’s the best

Reactions: E90alex and coleAK
They have 8 cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and radar. As long as you enable the safety alerts and protection features, the car will practically NOT LET you change lanes into traffic.

Rear view mirrors will be obsolete as soon as jurisdictions figure it out. Eventually, insurance companies will require cameras to replace mirrors because of the vastly improved safety.

Dan
Insurance companies are not regulatory for vehicles. They don’t have requirements of vehicles.
What they do is give discounts for safety features like AWD, ABS, blind spot,…

And as for the camera for side view discussion. You all are drinking the Elon Koolaide. The concept is nothing new. Porsche tried to do cameras to replace side views almost 20 years ago with the 997 turbo. And there are many situations these cameras (with extremely small apertures I’ll add) are vastly inferior to mirrors. Like towing (already mentioned), heavy rain my model 3 cameras are useless, in the snow my cameras glaze over almost immediately, dirt roads they become dust covered to the point of useless,…

Just think about the size vs how easy these cameras with an 1-2mm aperture are to block vs mirrors. Here are some pictures of my 2013 LX570 that has had a screen viewable side view camera 8 years (Lexus has it starting with the 2011 model) before Tesla had this feature.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: TessP100D
And as for the camera for side view discussion. You all are drinking the Elon Koolaide. The concept is nothing new. Porsche tried to do cameras to replace side views almost 20 years ago with the 997 turbo. And there are many situations these cameras (with extremely small apertures I’ll add) are vastly inferior to mirrors. Like towing (already mentioned), heavy rain my model 3 cameras are useless, in the snow my cameras glaze over almost immediately, dirt roads they become dust covered to the point of useless,…
For the past two years or so I have been using the side cameras on my Model 3 every time I change lanes (since the side camera view appears automatically when the turn signal is activated). I find the side camera view almost always better than the mirror since it shows a much wider and more useful field of view. I’ve never had the side camera not work due to being covered with dirt or snow. Where I live, I’ve got snow, but I admit I do not drive my Model 3 on dirt roads.

For the past two years or so I have been using the side cameras on my Model 3 every time I change lanes (since the side camera view appears automatically when the turn signal is activated). I find the side camera view almost always better than the mirror since it shows a much wider and more useful field of view. I’ve never had the side camera not work due to being covered with dirt or snow. Where I live, I’ve got snow, but I admit I do not drive my Model 3 on dirt roads.
Well there are several written studies that prove the human brain interprets visual images from a mirror much quicker than looking at a camera screen. In other words in a split second decision or life and death moment… drivers will able to make the correct decision faster by using mirrors. It’s ok you have gotten used to side cameras, but its not better or safer.

in same way strange enough, a human driver can listen to music on his car radio, even sign along and still have enough concentration skills to operate his vehicle safely. He can focus on driving. However he is not allowed to watch or have his video screen on, because he can’t focus on driving.

Reactions: E90alex and StanMI
in same way strange enough, a human driver can listen to music on his car radio, even sign along and still have enough concentration skills to operate his vehicle safely. He can focus on driving. However he is not allowed to watch or have his video screen on, because he can’t focus on driving.
The parts of your brain required to listen to music or sing are very different from the parts needed to watch the road and react to other vehicles.

And yes, if the driver is watching something on a screen in the car for more than a second that is not safe. Unless the car is on Auto Pilot. ;)

Well there are several written studies that prove the human brain interprets visual images from a mirror much quicker than looking at a camera screen. In other words in a split second decision or life and death moment… drivers will able to make the correct decision faster by using mirrors. It’s ok you have gotten used to side cameras, but its not better or safer.

I learn something new here everyday........my first thought was no difference between mirrors and screens...(Google is your friend).....flat image from a screen, depth in a mirror image.......

I learn something new here everyday........my first thought was no difference between mirrors and screens...(Google is your friend).....flat image from a screen, depth in a mirror image.......
Plus in the mirror you're focussing on what you're looking at, which is probably roughly the same distance away as what you're looking at through the windscreen. With a screen you need to shift your eyes' focus to the distance to the screen. That said, there are advantages to screens too, although I'd think it'd be better to have a screen on each side, so you're not needing to look to the right whilst moving left.

Yea? How about those fandom brake issues .. slamming on the brakes for no reason. When that happens on the freeway at 70 mph, look in your mirror quickly as the cat behind you is about to smash into you.
In my X and 3 that does happen occasionally meaning every few hundred miles (combined I have over 110,000 miles on the cars) so I have experienced it many times. I’ve never felt like I was going to be rear-ended (really) I just move my foot to the accelerator pedal and speed back up.

Is it disconcerting? Absolutely. It should not happen. But I’ve driven many tens of thousands of miles on EAP, much of that on busy California freeways and I love it. Now when I’m on the highway I do not want to maintain pressure on the accelerator or have to steer the car like in the old days, it seems nutty.

Note: I learned to drive in 1970, I’m not young. ;)

Last edited:
In my X and 3 that does happen occasionally meaning every few hundred miles (combined I have over 110,000 miles on the cars) so I have experienced it many times. I’ve never felt like I was going to be rear-ended (really) I just move my foot to the accelerator pedal and speed back up.

Is it disconcerting? Absolutely. It should not happen. But I’ve driven many tens of thousands of miles on EAP, much of that on busy California freeways and I love it. Now when I’m on the highway I do not want to maintain pressure on the accelerator or have to steer the car like in the old days, it seems nutty.

Note: I learned to drive in 1970, I’m not young. ;)
I’m older than you… LOl. Kidding. Good for you. If you like the car driving your self, fine. I won’t risk my family or my grandkids on it. When I drive, I drive.

For me, the big advantage to using the side cameras instead of the side mirrors is that the camera field of view is much greater and shows me everything I need to see when changing lanes.
Which works great unless you are towing something that is wider than the tow vehicle. The cameras are in the wheel arch. There will be a huge blindspot next to the trailer that the camera cannot see. That is why modern trucks have telescoping mirrors for towing.
I guarantee you that neither Elon nor Franz have ever towed an RV on an actual trip or launched a boat. The only actual improvements are steer by wire, 240V/40A available in the bed (vs 240V/30A in the Lightning), and a 500lb higher payload than the Lightning. Everything else is worse than the Lightning (frunk, spare tire, interior space and comfort, etc). Chevy had 4 wheel steering on their trucks decades ago but dropped it because no one bought it.

Yes, the Beast is really quick and I am a sucker for really quick vehicles - hence I still have my reservation. For suburban family hauling plus the occasional short range towing it'll work great. But so would a Lightning. I also hope Ford follows through with the ground-up redesign of the v2 next year. That could be epic.

All that to say, the CT is a solid -meh-. Some things are better than a Lightning and some are worse. All in it's a wash and the Lightning is cheaper.

Which works great unless you are towing something that is wider than the tow vehicle. The cameras are in the wheel arch. There will be a huge blindspot next to the trailer that the camera cannot see. That is why modern trucks have telescoping mirrors for towing.
And that is why I have a rear camera on my RV with an in-car display (wireless comm). :)

We can agree to disagree about whether or not the CT deserves a big “meh” or a big thumbs up!

Reactions: strider