Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The Revolutionary Tesla Windshield Wiper Debut On The Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Honda E has cameras in place of door mirrors and screens in roundabout the same spot you’d look regularly when checking the mirrors like another commenter said. I imagine that’s the direction we’re heading. However, if you’ve ever looked at the side repeater cams or the rear view cam in the rain or snow you’ll know how obscured the view becomes. I think if they do implement this they need a rotating lens (like the car cameras nascar uses for example) to clear it constantly of water/debris.

Reactions: jsmay311
The new Honda E has cameras in place of door mirrors and screens in roundabout the same spot you’d look regularly when checking the mirrors like another commenter said. I imagine that’s the direction we’re heading. However, if you’ve ever looked at the side repeater cams or the rear view cam in the rain or snow you’ll know how obscured the view becomes. I think if they do implement this they need a rotating lens (like the car cameras nascar uses for example) to clear it constantly of water/debris.

Clear view screen - Wikipedia , but teeny-tiny :)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d.../13640-sidevisibilityreport_102518_v3-tag.pdf

I think its possible to be approved before the CT comes to market. The NHTSA has been "investigating" it for a few years now and has been lobbied for it since 2014.

I think its smart that auto manufacturers, both ICE and BEV, are requesting it for improved fuel economy. The govts want to impose better fuel economy standards on manufacturers then help us get there by updating your antiquated regulations. Its just a matter of time.

Wow. You think it’s possible. You think?

have you ever driven a truck and towed? Side mirrors are required for safety reasons. Truck drivers know this. Every truck in the USA has them and so will the CT. Bet on it.

just because the Roadster and the CT prototypes didn’t have side mirrors, doesn’t mean they will be sold without mirrors. Come on already.

There are any number of ways to word any regulation so it only applies to passenger cars(not trucks), or have something specifically include a wide-angle option for truck/trailering purposes, or I suppose mandating that if a trailer hitch gets installed that real mirrors be installed(although I'd disagree that they are needed).

The passenger mirror is currently not required even now, if visibility is good enough.

Do I think the regulation will change in time for the roadster and CT's first production? Not really. Do I know there were people in 2010 who thought electric cars would not be truly viable? Yes indeed.

I imagine that throughout the 1900's new things were added every decade(either allowed or mandated) that made cars safer that hadn't been considered just the decade before. Some examples are seatbelts, power brakes, power steering, shoulder belts, anti-lock brakes, crumple zones. Its called progress, sometimes its slower than we'd like, sometimes its faster than advisable and we learn to not do that.

The CT will come with side mirrors as required by law and for safety reasons. If they ‘’add’’ cameras to this, fine.

Tesla lacks the most basic side mirror warning systems that all good cars come with. The Tesla warning system is terrible!
They have 8 cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and radar. As long as you enable the safety alerts and protection features, the car will practically NOT LET you change lanes into traffic.

Rear view mirrors will be obsolete as soon as jurisdictions figure it out. Eventually, insurance companies will require cameras to replace mirrors because of the vastly improved safety.

Dan

and... on those lines....All Tesla’s will have wings and fly ... as soon as they get their wings.
Since you mentioned flight -- and I'm the first to admit that it's an apples and oranges comparison -- it was just a couple of years ago when many people "in the know" were stating with authority that NASA would NEVER approve Space-X's plan to fuel the Falcon 9 just prior to lift off with astronauts onboard as it went against all the conventional wisdom and safety rules of the time. Well, that sure changed just as I expect the rules for requiring side view mirrors will change when the capability without them is equivalent to or better than the capability with them. Those that tout that the Tesla blind-spot warning is substandard as compared to other cars either don't have a modern Tesla or don't know how to use it.

Twisting NASA's arm is one thing, twisting 50 states and territories is another. We're all hoping it'll happen soon, though.

States have no say in this, it's all dictated by Feds.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards cover everything in a vehicle from airbags to headlights to crashworthiness. Individual states cannot override or exceed them, and because they apply everywhere across the United States, a company like Toyota can sell the same vehicles in Georgia as it can in Oregon.

NHTSA to States: Follow Our Lead on Self-Driving Cars

The linked article is about AV but it delineates vehicle responsibilities between states and feds pretty clearly.

Reactions: kayak1 and outdoors
Since you mentioned flight -- and I'm the first to admit that it's an apples and oranges comparison -- it was just a couple of years ago when many people "in the know" were stating with authority that NASA would NEVER approve Space-X's plan to fuel the Falcon 9 just prior to lift off with astronauts onboard as it went against all the conventional wisdom and safety rules of the time. Well, that sure changed just as I expect the rules for requiring side view mirrors will change when the capability without them is equivalent to or better than the capability with them. Those that tout that the Tesla blind-spot warning is substandard as compared to other cars either don't have a modern Tesla or don't know how to use it.
Can you explain to me how the blind spot warning works then? In my F-150 I have a bright yellow light on the mirror. When I turn on my blinker that light flashes. It would appear that in my Tesla I have to look for the curved lines in the instrument cluster, which aren’t always reliable and give no indication of distance. What am I missing?

As cute as those linear/lateral windshield wipers might be, I don't think they'll make it --- not practical. Regular wipers only require a single point of motion/clearance/freedom whereas the linear track requires 2+ feet of freedom to travel which going to be plugged up, messed up, etc with all sorts of crap, leaves, dirt, bugs, etc....

Agree. The other question is, why? The engineering, cost and complexity that it would require to have the same level of reliability would be prohibitively expensive... and what benefit would it serve?

I also can't see the laser system being practical. Not the least of which is pointing laser energy at peoples eyes.

People complain when their backup cameras stop working correctly. Sorry officer my camera wasn't working when I side swiped that car Side view mirrors are more reliable than cameras. Even if the motor that moves the glass quits you can still move the mirror glass by hand