Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the following from Tesla in an email: "As for the seats, the third row does fold flat. The 2nd row of the Model X does not fold flat, rather tips forward, and slides toward the front row."

Hope that helps.

Just a note. If you inquire through email, Tesla used to confirm that the second row does not fold flat. The most recent response I've seen has them saying they do not know which is odd because we're only two weeks away.

:smile:

Just a note. If you inquire through email, Tesla used to confirm that the second row does not fold flat. The most recent response I've seen has them saying they do not know which is odd because we're only two weeks away.

:smile:
I got that email this morning.
Just to clarify, you got the email that said "no folding 2nd row" or the one that said "we do not know"?

And while we may only be two weeks away from some insiders getting cars, we have no idea how far away we are from a public launch or the first shipment to non-insider customers like bonnie.
We are jumping to conclusions that this may be just a few weeks away. It's possible that it will be months before they officially launch and start shipping Sigs.

@ecarfan I admire your optimism and please do not take this as ridicule and I agree that we should wait and see what 9/29 will show us.
I just have to say if this is really the best they can do I would call this a major face plant on Tesla's part.
No offense taken. I am only saying that so far all we have seen is a handful of CGI images which tells us very little about how the seats function in real life. Nevertheless, some people are clearly concluding that they now can speak authoritatively on their functionality.

Just to clarify, you got the email that said "no folding 2nd row" or the one that said "we do not know"?

And while we may only be two weeks away from some insiders getting cars, we have no idea how far away we are from a public launch or the first shipment to non-insider customers like bonnie.
We are jumping to conclusions that this may be just a few weeks away. It's possible that it will be months before they officially launch and start shipping Sigs.

That is a very valid point! This 29th September is a "soft launch" presumably to founders only. Have any of the sigs been given a delivery date ?

I remain amazed that we don't know the space available. How the seats fold/move is not as important (to me) as how much carrying space is created. If Tesla doesn't want to disclose the movement details before the 29th, it would seem that there is NO compromise in saying the floor space is X feet with the third row folded and X feet/inches with the second row stored. The don't have to show how, disclose the movement, but only give a fact of what is available usage space. That would allow anyone wanting to carry whatever needed to determine whether the X will fill the need. I think this is complicated by the current state requiring to buy a $130 vehicle on trust-me.

Hate to get into the fray, but not understanding.

As I read it, the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold down to create a flat surface. It doesn't say the 2nd row becomes part of the flat surface - it probably just moves out of the way to make room for a flat surface. Even sliding forward and 'down under' the first row (as some have guessed happens) is considered 'folding down'.

I think that there is a configuration that, as yet, has not been visualized - but answer will be soon enough.

As long as Model X can have the same utility as shown in the prototype: An standard bike can lay flat without turning its wheel crooked, skis and surfboards are neatly fit within the depth of the trunk...

As long as that utility is accomplished in the Signature, then I don't think seat arrangement is an relevant topic (should it fold, should it move out...)

Tesla should not sell me the snake oil that they could do it and then impose an information embargo to make me think that the job has been well accomplished.

Hate to get into the fray, but not understanding.

As I read it, the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold down to create a flat surface. It doesn't say the 2nd row becomes part of the flat surface - it probably just moves out of the way to make room for a flat surface. Even sliding forward and 'down under' the first row (as some have guessed happens) is considered 'folding down'.

I think that there is a configuration that, as yet, has not been visualized - but answer will be soon enough.

Sorry to say, but I think you are reading wrong at this point.

Nothing suggests a flat surface beyond folded 3rd row will ship with the initial Model X Signature (and probably initial Production). After that there will be a drop to the floor in front of third row - and that will continue until the seat backs of the front-pushed and slightly tilted second-row is reached.

Maybe in the future a folding second-row will appear, but for now that seems to be what we are getting, if Tesla's Design Studio and representative comments on the matter are to be trusted.

<snip>
After that there will be a drop to the floor in front of third row - and that will continue until the seat backs of the front-pushed and slightly tilted second-row is reached.
<snip>
How many people have already thought about what sort of "table" they were going to put in that spot to create a larger (than 3rd row backs) flat area. I'm sure we'll see 3rd parties create something fold-able.

Don't worry. It doesn't matter if they actually fold or move at all at launch. Over the next several months Tesla will release all of the second row seat folding features via OTA software updates if you pay for the tech package option today. :rolleyes:

I'm sig res #6 (Bonnie beat me to the punch). About an hour ago I got a call from Tesla asking if I would prefer to switch from having three seats in the center row to having just two with the center seat left out. Since I paddleboard a lot, and don't usually carry more than six passengers in our Sienna van, I told them to go ahead and switch me to a 6-passenger setup. I'm really not that worked up about the situation. Folding seats will be available sooner or later; if I like them better I'll just have the service center swap them in at some future point. If not, I'll just rent a U-haul trailer whenever I need to haul around a lot of stuff.

I'm sig res #6 (Bonnie beat me to the punch). About an hour ago I got a call from Tesla asking if I would prefer to switch from having three seats in the center row to having just two with the center seat left out. Since I paddleboard a lot, and don't usually carry more than six passengers in our Sienna van, I told them to go ahead and switch me to a 6-passenger setup. I'm really not that worked up about the situation. Folding seats will be available sooner or later; if I like them better I'll just have the service center swap them in at some future point. If not, I'll just rent a U-haul trailer whenever I need to haul around a lot of stuff.

See this thread: Configuration of 2 captains chairs and 6 seats is available now.