Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the issues that I am struggling with as I anticipate my X next Spring. The lack of folding 2nd row seats is just so unlike the SUV concept and more like a Mini Bus.

For my purpose, I don't have to haul TVs or a load of boxes in my X, but I am a dog dude, and my 3 "best friends" know that when going for a ride, "down" means flat on their bellies while we run errands. This may not be as it has been in my future X.

I also hope that the huge front window will not result in a blinding sun most of the day in the Lone Star state of Texas, or anywhere for that matter.

This is one of the issues that I am struggling with as I anticipate my X next Spring. The lack of folding 2nd row seats is just so unlike the SUV concept and more like a Mini Bus.

For my purpose, I don't have to haul TVs or a load of boxes in my X, but I am a dog dude, and my 3 "best friends" know that when going for a ride, "down" means flat on their bellies while we run errands. This may not be as it has been in my future X.

I also hope that the huge front window will not result in a blinding sun most of the day in the Lone Star state of Texas, or anywhere for that matter.
Bonnie has dogs too and with sig #2 we should get a report of how it works in a couple weeks or so.

The windshield has a graded tint that gets darker as it nears the top.

Us too. We have 4. Have had as many as 6. My wife calls her car the "kennel car." As much as she wants the X and as much as I want her to get it; I don't think we can do it if the second row seats don't fold flat. We'll wait until it's our turn to see if this option is available. We"ll look at the car and see if it meets our "family" needs. Without fold flat second row seats we'll probably have to pass.:crying:

Target Market:
Dr_Evil_with_cat.jpg

sb10063181bl-002.jpg

From the Q3 SEC filing today..

The primary limiting factor to higher Q4 deliveries is the near term ramp of Model X production, with the biggest constraint being the supply of components related to the second row monopost seats. To eliminate these supply constraints and achieve a better overall outcome, we have brought manufacturing of these seats in-house.

That is some serious change of plans there... that supplier (Eds employer??) must have royally screwed the pooch on those seats.

So, question is: if Tesla has seat manufacturing in house, does this increase probability they´ll offer flat-folding seats soon, too? I´d say yes.

Yes, they have invented devices they will be calling "hinge" and "latch". Patents will be open to all.

The best choice Tesla could make is to allow the design team to make a proper SUV interior without much input from Musk. Apparently seating is Musk's cryptonite.

Has anyone looked at how the second row seats are connected to the monoposts? Not being able to fold the 2nd row is a little bit of a negative, but I wouldn't mind as much if I can pull the 2nd row myself in a reasonable (<30 minutes) amount of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people say about this as well, once deliveries start to happen. Honestly, I'd prefer removable seats over folding (though I'm likely in the minority).

I'm looking forward to seeing what people say about this as well, once deliveries start to happen. Honestly, I'd prefer removable seats over folding (though I'm likely in the minority).

I'm not holding my breath that the seats will be easily removeable. It doesn't seem to be in Tesla's DNA to do that. Furthermore, the seats will also have electrical connections (power for moving seat forward/back and heating if you choose the cold-weather package). I can't imagine Tesla providing a nice plug to disconnect, followed by quick release lever for removal. Then what would you do with the pedestal?

But I do agree, it would be nice if that were possible.

Count me as someone that would like easily removable 2nd row seats on the X and yes I would be really surprised if this were possible.

In the mean time I will just keep driving and loving the Model S with the back seat folded flat 90% of the time.

Since the backs of the 2nd row is glossy, I would rather have the ability to remove them when necessary. If they were to ever fold and with the type of stuff I haul, they'd get scratched up in a heartbeat.

If you haven't seen youtube of a Model X with its non-foldable second row seats and its skis equipment, here it is:

Silver model X with ski equipment out the back.png

It's nice in theory to have sculptural artistic non-foldable second row seats so you can neatly place them skis on an accessory hitch or a 5,000 pound trailer, but in practice, this is what you got from the art: unclosed hatchback door.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice in theory to have sculptural artistic non-foldable second row seats so you can neatly place them skis on an accessory hitch or a 5,000 pound trailer, but in practice, this is what you got from the art: unclosed hatchback door.

I seriously doubt this is the case of not being able to fit ski equipment...... I never fold my seats to fit my skis for shorter runs. I just shlep them over the seat back and down between the front seats. This is obviously possible in the tesla as well. So I doubt that this guy did this because he was not able to fit the skis, rather he was travelling a very short distance and did not care to put them any further in due to X-reasons, maybe one being all three seats in the second row were occupied. :)