Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Tax Credit Include 30% of my Service Upgrade as Part of HPWC Install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
We built our house about 15 years ago and, for whatever reason, we have only a 100A service coming into the house. Most all of our neighbors have at least a 150A service so I'm not really sure why we got the shaft.

At any rate, I talked with the city and they said that our supply is probably capable of a 150A service with a shut-off and meter/main upgrade which would save us some money if they don't also have to replace the line coming to the house. They said if we wanted to go to 200A it would probably require running a new supply line capable of handling that much juice which would run more money. I'll need to upgrade our distribution panel and possibly add a subpanel at the same time as well. I'd like to get the garage/EV circuits separate from the rest of the circuits in the distribution panel.

In a perfect world, I can have service upgraded to 200A, run a new line into a new 200A distribution panel for my existing circuits and then run the existing 100A as a subpanel that would run the HPWC circuit and maybe another outlet or two for the garage. It may make more sense to instead add another 100A breaker to the main switch and have the HPWC run directly off of that. Not sure if that's even an option but something I'd need to talk with the electrician about as far as best and/or cheapest way to accomplish this.

My question is, will all of this fall under the tax credit for 2020 since we're upgrading our service in order to install a few HPWC's for EV charging? We'll likely max out that $1,000 credit ($3,00 spent) even without factoring in the service upgrade depending on how we go about this so it may not matter but I'm curious if anyone here has successfully done this or knows for sure if this will qualify.

Well since the amount includes any property (other than the building or structure) needed to refuel, I consider the extra panel work to be part of it. Since I can't just use the Wall Charger without breaker/panel upgrades, I included my entire expense. Which of course was knocked down to $1000 total/max, but still not bad.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Agreed. As long as it’s part of the same installation job, you can include the service upgrades in the tax credit. If you did the service upgrade, then a month or two later came back and did the EVSE install, I would question including the service upgrades on the tax credit form.

Reactions: Ostrichsak