Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Tesla 3: be 20%, 15%, or 10% shorter in length than the Tesla S?

What Tesla 3 length would you prefer?

• Tesla 1? (-45%) 107” 2.736 m (About the size of the Smart)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Tesla 1? (-40%) 117” 2.985 m

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tesla 1? (-35%) 127” 3.234 m

• Tesla 2 ? (-30%) 137” 3.483 m

• Tesla 2 ? (-25%) 146” 3.732 m

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Tesla 3 (-20%) 156” 3.981 m (About the size of the BMW i3)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Tesla 3 (-15%) 166” 4.229 m (About the size of the VW Golf or Ford Focus)

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Tesla 3 (-10%) 176” 4.479 m (About the size of the Nissan Leaf or Mazda 3)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Tesla 4 ? (- 5%) 186” 4.727 m

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Tesla S 196” 4.976 m

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
I’m living in San Francisco, so when looking for a new car I am very concerned about its length.

The Tesla S length is: 196” 4.976 m

So doing the math, I try to estimate the Model 3 possible length:

Tesla 3 (-20%) 156” 3.981 m (About the size of the BMW i3)
Tesla 3 (-15%) 166” 4.229 m (About the size of the Chevrolet Bolt, VW Golf or Ford Focus)
Tesla 3 (-10%) 176” 4.479 m (About the size of the Nissan Leaf or Mazda 3)

My impression is that the Tesla 3 would be about the size of the Mazda 3 (-10%)
but I would rather be like the Chevrolet Bolt or VW Golf (-15%).
I don't think that the Tesla 3 will have the size of the BMW i3 (-20%)?

What do you think would be the Tesla 3 size, or what size would you prefer (See pool)?

I have no idea what sizes those vehicles are, but there's this:
According to Houston Chronicle, Straubel said the focus for the Model 3 is on lowering component costs and boosting volumes. “We don’t really need more performance; we don’t really need much more range; we need to focus on cost.” He said the car is comparable in size to an Audi A4. “I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes,” he said and added that Tesla’s reputation for constant innovation will continue with the Model 3.
Model 3 Will Have "Next Generation" Tesla Technology

>> "According to Houston Chronicle, Straubel said .... the car is comparable in size to an Audi A4".

I just checked, the Audi 4 Sedan length is 186” ( -5% smaller than the Tesla Model S 196")

Also the Audi 3 Sedan length is 175” ( -10% smaller than the Tesla Model S 196")

So I'm puzzle about the previous announcement "Elon Musk says the Tesla Model 3 will be .... 20% smaller."

Volume. Not length.

Exactly. Even if you assume that the ~20% volume reduction is exactly accurate, and the volume reduction is equal along all linear dimensions - it won't be - you get [volume = Cuberoot(.8)*196.4]. This gives a length of 182.3 inches which is almost exactly the same as the BMW 3 series mentioned earlier.

It will almost certainly be longer than this. The A4 is 186 inches long, and I expect that the Model 3 might even be a bit longer than even that. Maybe up to 190 inches. I expect that the Model S will get a size increase soon, so it wouldn't be so crazy.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
They used.to compare it with bmw 3 series, this is the latest comparison and a different one: they compared with a4.
This is a sure sign for me that it will be a bit bigger than a 3 series. Bigger including length, not width and height which is fine with me. A4 and 3 series are very similar in width and height.

Reactions: pr0teu5
Tesla smart car would be amazing.

I very much prefer smaller cars, I hope it'll be the same length or smaller than my Leaf (but I doubt it).

At the very least I just hope it doesn't have a huge long front end, like a lot of similar ICE vehicles. At least with my Leaf it has a relatively short front overhang.

Yup, but I think the best all around comparison will be the Mercedes C class. The price will be basically the same - The Model 3 won't start at $35,000 it'll be at least $38,500 when including inflation, probably and even $40,000. They will also be basically the same size and comfort level. The A4, 3 series, and C class are all really similar though.

The more interesting question is if Tesla might make a model to compete with the E-Class, 5 series a A6. Especially if the Model S gets bigger and more luxury to compete more directly with the S-class, A8, and 7-series.

I could definitely see a sedan lineup like.

$30k Entry level; CLA, A3 equivalent
$40k Model 3; C-Class, 3 series, A4 equivalent
$50k Mid Level; E-Class, 5 series, A6 equivalent
$80k Model S; S-Class, 7 series, A8 equivalent

Of course all would have sizes and equipment levels to match those classes. It might take a while to get there, but It'll happen.

The price will be basically the same - The Model 3 won't start at $35,000 it'll be at least $38,500 when including inflation, probably and even $40,000.
Tesla has been very clear, the car will start at $35k. No incentives, no inflation. Many years back they mentioned inflation (in 2013 when it was still called Gen 3), but in recent years/months they been repeating $35k before incentives, with no mention of inflation.

From February 9, 2016:
"We can confirm it's $35,000 before incentives," a Tesla spokeswoman, Khobi Brooklyn, told Bloomberg. "We haven't changed our minds."
Electric Fantasy: Will the Next Tesla Sell for $25,000?

This is pretty much the only thing Tesla has confirmed 100% about the Model 3 and I'm not sure why people still get it wrong.

Tesla has been very clear, the car will start at $35k. No incentives, no inflation. Many years back they mentioned inflation (in 2013 when it was still called Gen 3), but in recent years/months they been repeating $35k before incentives, with no mention of inflation.

Yeah, I remember the inflation statement that was made. I had just assumed that the reason that they dropped it is that they considered the extra $3.5k-$5k too trivial to mention in their statements. If I remember correctly most of the time I've heard Elon speak on the price he says "around" $35k, though he does drop that qualification on occasion. Anyway, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the actual base price was higher than the stated $35k.

They could always pull a page from Audi's book, a la the A3 sedan.

Prior to it coming out, they touted the VERY basic 2015 model as UNDER $30K. (not even sure how many of those they sold).....

For 2016, the price crept up over $30K, and they blamed it on making the backup camera standard (in 2015 it was an option), ahead of the government requirement.

Admittedly though, different volumes at play between Audi sales and Tesla sales......

They could always pull a page from Audi's book, a la the A3 sedan.

Prior to it coming out, they touted the VERY basic 2015 model as UNDER $30K. (not even sure how many of those they sold).....

For 2016, the price crept up over $30K, and they blamed it on making the backup camera standard (in 2015 it was an option), ahead of the government requirement.

Admittedly though, different volumes at play between Audi sales and Tesla sales......

Or history could repeat itself and they can do what they did with the Model S. Come out with a stripped down base model ala the S40 at the advertised price and then discontinue it immediately.

Or history could repeat itself and they can do what they did with the Model S. Come out with a stripped down base model ala the S40 at the advertised price and then discontinue it immediately.

I could also see that, except they may not be able to use the "no one was ordering it" excuse like they did with the S40..... Ugh, this "waiting and speculating" is killing me.

Car length is super important to me as well. If it weren't I'd own a Model S today. The thing HAS to fit in my garage with room around it for the important stuff: Bikes. So yes. Size really does matter. Of course it'll be a long while before we know this dimension for real...

Of course it'll be a long while before we know this dimension for real...
Someone should take a measuring tape with them if they are attending the Model 3 event. I remember people doing that for the Model X. At the very least we will know some dimensions of the prototype (which we know won't be the same as production, but at least it will give a nice ball park).