Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Tesla Model 3 have the 17in touchscreen standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the Model 3 will be heavily touch screen based for the UI - after Tesla has spent all of the time and money developing the big screen based controls for the S and X, it is likely cheaper for them to carry it over than to build a conventional control set, and it gives the line a distinctive feel.

At the same time, I'm not convinced they'll carry the same 17" screen over - you'll want to keep some reasons for folks to upgrade, and they could probably save some money by going with a smaller screen - which might be a better fit in a compact interior anyway.

I'm expecting to see a similar control architecture and a 12 to 15 inch screen - but it is just a guess, worth what you paid for it. :)
Walter

Doesn't the model x have touch screen controls on the steering wheel?

The prototype/concept car did. We're still waiting to see about the production car, but that's one feature I don't expect to see in production - the buttons are under your fingers where it's hard to see but easy to feel, and you don't really want the driver staring down at them anyway.
Walter

Every car has to have some sort of display in front of the driver to display basic information.

Not necessarily. Several lower market Asian cars (including some generations of Prius) don't have one. The basic information is on a screen at the center of the base of the windshield instead.

I sure hope Tesla doesn't go that direction - this is one thing I hated about those cars.

I'm expecting all future Tesla vehicles to have the same basic software, with some specific features enabled or disabled depending on the particular "hardware platform." So yes, a central touchscreen similar to the S. But I think the one in the Model 3 will be smaller, because the car has to be narrower. 12 to 15 inches as someone mentioned earlier seems reasonable.

Not necessarily. Several lower market Asian cars (including some generations of Prius) don't have one. The basic information is on a screen at the center of the base of the windshield instead.

I sure hope Tesla doesn't go that direction - this is one thing I hated about those cars.
I hate those too. I think the only logical reason for that is so they can part share for the left and right hand drive market.

I'm expecting all future Tesla vehicles to have the same basic software, with some specific features enabled or disabled depending on the particular "hardware platform." So yes, a central touchscreen similar to the S. But I think the one in the Model 3 will be smaller, because the car has to be narrower. 12 to 15 inches as someone mentioned earlier seems reasonable.

Agree. Leveraging the development already done for the Model S and Model X means lower developments costs for the Model 3 which is critical to meeting the goal of a $35k base model.

And I believe he qualified that statement with, "perhaps." :)

Perhaps he did :) But I can't recall that, but as I said, it was just something I recalled from my memory, so I may well have forgotten that part... Anyway, that statement was so early in the process that any decision on that matter may have been changed a few times since then :) And I really hope it will not be the case...