TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the Tesla Model 3 have the 17in touchscreen standard?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by XxCyberHackerxX, Mar 11, 2015.

1. XxCyberHackerxX

Do you guys think it will be standard?

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I suspect the Model 3 will be heavily touch screen based for the UI - after Tesla has spent all of the time and money developing the big screen based controls for the S and X, it is likely cheaper for them to carry it over than to build a conventional control set, and it gives the line a distinctive feel.

At the same time, I'm not convinced they'll carry the same 17" screen over - you'll want to keep some reasons for folks to upgrade, and they could probably save some money by going with a smaller screen - which might be a better fit in a compact interior anyway.

I'm expecting to see a similar control architecture and a 12 to 15 inch screen - but it is just a guess, worth what you paid for it. :)
    Walter

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes a center touchscreen display will certainly be standard in the Model 3 though it might be a slightly smaller screen than in the S.

4. XxCyberHackerxX

Doesn't the model x have touch screen controls on the steering wheel?

5. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

By the time Model 3 gets here there will be no touch screen as it will all be voice commands and autopilot. :rolleyes:

6. XxCyberHackerxX

Lol I hope not sometimes I want to have control

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The prototype/concept car did. We're still waiting to see about the production car, but that's one feature I don't expect to see in production - the buttons are under your fingers where it's hard to see but easy to feel, and you don't really want the driver staring down at them anyway.
    Walter

8. brkaus

brkaus Member

Love it - kids yelling "car, turn left now" from the back seat just for fun...

9. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Some time ago Elon or J.B. did say that Model 3 will only have ONE screen, not two like the Model S. Which screen they want to keep, I do not know.

10. ecarfan

Really? I don't recall them ever being that specific about any Model 3 feature. I guess I missed that bit of information.

11. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I remember one of them saying it as well and I think it's the dashboard screen behind the wheel that is gone.

12. ecarfan

Every car has to have some sort of display in front of the driver to display basic information.

13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Not necessarily. Several lower market Asian cars (including some generations of Prius) don't have one. The basic information is on a screen at the center of the base of the windshield instead.

I sure hope Tesla doesn't go that direction - this is one thing I hated about those cars.

14. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

ah, yes, of course. Maybe it will just have basic info, but won't be the multi screen version. I remember they were thinking one screen was for cost reduction, just doing the basics. But that could all change.....

15. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Yes, but it can be analog instruments, not a screen. But, as ggies07 say, this may have changed since then... And again, I don't know it is this screen or the "big one" that is (perhaps) dropped.

16. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

And I believe he qualified that statement with, "perhaps." :)

17. wart

wart Member

I'm expecting all future Tesla vehicles to have the same basic software, with some specific features enabled or disabled depending on the particular "hardware platform." So yes, a central touchscreen similar to the S. But I think the one in the Model 3 will be smaller, because the car has to be narrower. 12 to 15 inches as someone mentioned earlier seems reasonable.

18. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I hate those too. I think the only logical reason for that is so they can part share for the left and right hand drive market.

19. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Agree. Leveraging the development already done for the Model S and Model X means lower developments costs for the Model 3 which is critical to meeting the goal of a $35k base model.

20. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Perhaps he did :) But I can't recall that, but as I said, it was just something I recalled from my memory, so I may well have forgotten that part... Anyway, that statement was so early in the process that any decision on that matter may have been changed a few times since then :) And I really hope it will not be the case...