Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the winter weather package and TACC ever be offered ala carte?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past 5 years since the Model S was introduced, the trend has been for Tesla to simplify the configuration process and reduce the number of options. I don't see that changing as long as there is high market demand for their cars. And demand for the Model 3 is unprecedented. I doubt very much that those items will be available separately on the 3 next year or 5 years from now.

Subzero was a separate option for years for the S and X. It *just* was folded into the PUP at about the same time as the 3 rollout. So that tells me it's part of the general production simplification.

The X now has one general non-software option (beside wheels, seats, paint, batteries, P) and that's the PUP.

So, the answer looks like no. :D

Reactions: internalaudit
It is HIGHLY likely that other EV manufacturers will do it exactly the same way as Tesla - bundled packages to bump the margins.

Most other car makers have positive cash flow, have more flexibly manufacturing lines and there's some room for discounting on their prices, but likely not with newly introduced BEVs.

Another car maker can easily sway me (likely not the rest of you on TMC) with a sporty enough AWD, 0-60 in 7 seconds, 310 mile driving range, winter weather package and dynamic cruise control if below the Model 3's $58k ($35 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 9) sticker price.

I want to get a BEV as a third car if it's practical, financially and use-wise but I'm definitely not going to get in over my head just because it's cool, can go 0-60 in 5.1 if it's not going to be problem-free from Year 9-12. I'm going with extended warranty seeing how the S and the Leaf have so many varying problems.

AWD is nice especially if our daughter will drive it once in a while, 200 mile is probably the minimum I can go for but 250-260 should be good enough for work-related traveling. Winter package with heated steering wheel is a great idea where I live in and dynamic cruise control can be very helpful on longer drives. These are probably the bare minimum I want in a BEV it's a shame only Tesla offers AWD but adding another set of motor is really not the complicated, even our RAV4 Hybrid AWD has that.

I have 0 interest in any of the items in the PUP except the winter weather package.

It can be argued that the glass roof and the winter package are at cross-purposes since the glass radiates in cold.

In the northerly climes such as Canada and Norway we want to keep warm, it's pure California thinking to consider it a "luxury."

Hoping that by the time the 310 mile AWD version is offered, these two options can be ordered individually. Those two upgrades alone move the price to about $48k.

We'll have to see how much demand there is once the federal tax credit is no longer available, similar offering come to market and how the quality holds up on their first year. I don't mind paying for all these lumped options if the damn cars will last a little over 10 years with no major and expensive repairs. :)