TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will there be a ludicrous mode option?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GadgetGeek407

GadgetGeek407 Member

Another words will there be a ludicrous mode option later? I am in Florida my delivery date is January to March for 310 mile car however I want a faster option, should I wait or will this be available via software?

2. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Yes, the Performance version with Ludicrous mode was confirmed by Elon here. For production start date, a few months ago Elon said end of March 2018 here, but then more recently he said mid-2018 here.

This won't be a software upgrade. The Model 3 P80D will have large motors in the front and rear. The Model 3 80D will have a smaller motor in the front. Also, the performance versions have a smart fuse that can output maximum power safely and quickly.

Ludicrous mode and performance version are the same thing for a while now. Initially, when they first discovered the smart fuse, the P85D's that were sold until then, didn't have it. So they offered to retrofit Ludicrous mode for $5,000. This was a hardware retrofit. Since then, the performance versions come with the Ludicrous mode.

The 0-60 time and the price of the Model 3 P80D are not released yet. My best guess is 3.1s and $74,000.

By the way, the most likely scenario for federal tax credits is as follows. More details here.

Optimistic Scenario (65% likely)
    • $7,500 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2018
    • $3,750 for deliveries until Dec 31, 2018
    • $1,875 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2019

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Runt8

Runt8 Member

I was under the impression that RWD had a larger motor in the back, AWD has two smaller motors, and Performance AWD has a large motor in back and small in front (at least on the Model S). Is this incorrect?

4. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Kind of surprised the performance version of the car only involves motor changes (and power delivery). You'd think there would be stuff like suspension, wheels, tires, and cooling enhancements.

• Like x 1
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I don't know about all of that, but I believe there is a different fusible link and a different fuse or something in the Model S.

6. Troy

Troy Active Member

Yes, your version is correct. I mixed up the motor sizes.

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Do you work for Tesla or something?